rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

28 minutes ago, Professor Rob said:

I might be wrong, but I think there’s some law that stops you returning a counterfeit item to the seller.

I thought that! But I can't seem to find it.

Hmmm. I'm not sure, now. It's one of those things I remember reading, but I don't know whether the person saying it was talking out of their arse.

Edit: I remember where I read it, now. There was an article about PayPal ordering a buyer to destroy a rare violin rather than return it, simply because he [the buyer] claimed it was fake. Paypal said it was illegal to return it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jan/04/paypal-buyer-destroys-violin

A spokesperson for PayPal said: "While we cannot talk about this particular case due to PayPal's privacy policy, we carefully review each case, and in general we may ask a buyer to destroy counterfeit goods if they supply signed evidence from a knowledgeable third party that the goods are indeed counterfeit. The reason why we reserve the option to ask the buyer to destroy the goods is that in many countries, including the US, it is a criminal offence to mail counterfeit goods back to a seller."

• Upvote 1

I’m still raging about that, although you’d assume nobody would use eBay to sell anything of significant value.

There are a few people here interested in the heavier end of the gaming spectrum, so would anyone be up for learning to play an 18xx game via the forum, using the Rails-and-Dropbox combo? I was thinking of 18AL, as it's reckoned to be a gentle-ish intro the series, but would be willing to give any of the ones that Rails supports a try. I should say that I've never actually played 18xx, but I've been working through some of the  games played via BGG (e.g. herehere and here) and have a fairly good grasp of the rules (which are not as daunting as the rulebook makes them look). I'd envisage it as more of a shared learning experience than an actual game session.

You would need: 

Rails (Java app that handles game turns and enforces rules. Does the heavy lifting)

A free DropBox account (to access a shared folder where game progress is stored)

18AL_Rules_v17.pdf (or whichever one people might want to play).

A ruthless, Robber-Baron mentality, coupled with a willingness to stumble blindly along with no clear idea of what you're doing, or why.

I'm happy to act as moderator and set up a shared DropBox folder if there's any interest. Toot toot!

• Upvote 1

I'm interested, been talking with my group about possibly playing 1830 so any help in learning the ropes would be welcome!

• Upvote 1

Cool. Recommended player count for 18AL is 3-4, so we can either get going or give it a little while to see if anyone else is interested.

If you need a 4th I'd be up for giving this a go. Not played an 18XX game but I'm not adverse to heavy games!

• Upvote 1

So we have:

@MalevolentPanda

@LaParka

@SimonC

@Professor Rob

I'll create a separate topic for the actual game progress when the time comes. In the meantime, you will need to have a (free) DropBox account and have downloaded the latest Rails release candidate. PM me your DropBox username when you're ready, so I can give you access to the shared folder.

As none of us have actually played before, we'll take this nice and steady. People will need a bit of time to get some idea of the basic rules and flow of play, so just let me know when you're ready. No rush.

• Upvote 1

Playing a 3 or 4 player game of Clans of Caledonia tonight - looking forward to it.  Played it solo twice and 2 player and it's *really* good.

• Upvote 2

It's my current favourite game. Have played at all player counts and it's always a tight game. I've had a few folk grumble about certain clans being overpowered but then in the next game that clan has come last because it's so much down to playing to the strengths of your card and using the board wisely. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Mortis said:

It's my current favourite game. Have played at all player counts and it's always a tight game. I've had a few folk grumble about certain clans being overpowered but then in the next game that clan has come last because it's so much down to playing to the strengths of your card and using the board wisely. 

It's *very* cleverly balanced with so many ways to win...I think some clans are *easier* to play than others - but they're all as equally powerful. I also like the fact it has a fixed number of rounds meaning it can't meander for hours and hours.  Do you play it down in Settlers?  I might see if I can get down.

It also looks as though it has a mountain of bits - but it's surprisingly quick to set up and tear down.  A big bonus in my book.  Oh... and SCOTLAND of course. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I've had it in my bag the last few settlers evenings. As always with the bigger group  the main game of the night depends of how the majority feel but I'm always happy to arrange a game of it. 

I do love the setup/teardown speed of it (compared to a Uwe behemoth for example) and the fact a 4 player game is usually max of about 90 mins if everyone knows the rules at least. But it's a bugger to fit back in the box especially with my cloth bag for the contracts and the metal coins I added recently :)

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Yeah I've had it in my bag the last few settlers evenings. As always with the bigger group  the main game of the night depends of how the majority feel but I'm always happy to arrange a game of it. 

I do love the setup/teardown speed of it (compared to a Uwe behemoth for example) and the fact a 4 player game is usually max of about 90 mins if everyone knows the rules at least. But it's a bugger to fit back in the box especially with my cloth bag for the contracts and the metal coins I added recently :)

Must admit - I've never had a problem getting it in the box and I've got the metal coins from the KS as well as cardboard ones and the fancy map of Scotland sleeve.  Trick was to line up the export cards along one side of the box and then pack the rest around it in the ample supplied plastic baggies.

I wanted to but we're booked into a hotel in Northumberland for the weekend instead. We will be taking a few games with us for the quiet moments. We're booked for the UK expo in June, looking forward to that.

Didn’t realise you were there Scott! It’s a lot bigger this year, still haven’t done half the things I wanted to- just end up playing games or taking part in the events.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, therearerules said:

Didn’t realise you were there Scott! It’s a lot bigger this year, still haven’t done half the things I wanted to- just end up playing games or taking part in the events.

Yeah, was there Friday and Saturday till about 6:30. Spent most of it playing with mates. Particularly enjoyed the One Ring RPG taster session.

11 hours ago, therearerules said:

Did either of you do the escape tabletop challenge.

Nope... when was that again? We were planning originally but completely forgot. Most of the competitive stuff was happening from 6pm onwards on Saturday which was around the time we left to drive back to Glasgow.

Someone needs to talk me down. Send help. I have Kingdom Death Monster 1.5 in my cart with HUGE shipping costs.