General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

2 hours ago, Blunted said:

I love KDM to bits. It's absolutely not everyone's cup of tea and I think there are entirely valid criticisms, but it's just so unlike anything else I've played. I also very much enjoy the construction side of things, so that's a plus for me too.

The random roll-death thing is harsh, but it's very rare in my experience FWIW. I tend to play two characters each with one other person, so it's not a huge issue when I does happen. I can see it being very frustrating if you are setting up for a day-long four player game though.

I agree, the most I would play with would be three players because of that exact scenario. I would hate to settle down for a huge session of this and be “left out”. I was offered an in to play as a fourth player but I was very conscious of the fact that I might actually shit all over someone else’s play time if that happened. 

Plus to join mid campaign I would miss out on the settlement stuff and that just intrigues me. :)

@revlobIt looks amazing, I’m tempted to back it at the lower tier on my credit card so I don’t miss out entirely! If you do go in on it, the shipping to UK takes the highest tier to around £260!

KDM - There has been tweeks to the rules since launch like "once in a lifetime  game wide  reroll per char per". The chars are just resources so do not get too attached to them.

Having somone die early - it is a shame if somone dies but at the end of the encounter you just head back to the camp and grab another char. During the encounters they can look after the monster and become the monster expert. 

This is a game where power gaming or one person suggesting optimum moves could be an issue as its such a big risk every move /encounter. 

Have a group that love it, I just play but do not like it enough to grab it myself. 

7 wonders but it’s not quite as good at 7. 

Scythe with the invaders from afar expansion but it needs the expanded board to have room. 

Caverna is possible in that time if everyone knows the game and people don’t have major AP (don’t think it’s as much fun though as there’s major downtime between turns). 

Viticulture plays 6 and moves along at a decent pace. 

Scoville plays up to 6 and also doesn’t have a huge amount of downtime. 

Played some City of Kings and This War of Mine with @Rikku at the weekend.

Loved City of Kings. We did the first story and managed to complete it by the skin of our teeth (well sort of - the final boss had an ability that gave him additional abilities every time we attacked him and we forgot to add a couple during play). The emphasis on time management - not rushing ahead but being mindful to not take too long - as the game progresses is really well done. We found ourselves having to slow down and grind quests for XP else that final boss would have destroyed us!

As for This War of Mine...well, can you even say it's an enjoyable game? Really dark and grim. We didn't remove the trigger warning cards and it led to a pretty shocking endgame as a result. Wonderfully designed game though, encouraging plenty of interesting group discussion on decisions, and would like to play more (in moderation, it's just too damn depressing!)

12 hours ago, shynra said:

Mysterium - is this party? 

Mysterium is more like 6 people working to convince a 7th that they can't understand even the simplest clues, the idiots, the complete simpletons, the fools.

But yeah, this is great with large groups, particularly if you skip the complicated business with the magic insight points or whatever it was for the last round. Great cooperative-competitive balance.

Cheers for the suggestions all, some fun looking stuff there!

18 hours ago, scottcr said:

SPARTACUS

starf is influence 4

We have this (and love it), though we've had to proxy in Vader and Royal Guard Champion from IA as gladiators the last few games as the figures have been sitting primed on my desk for a few weeks :blush:

Worst ever mystery box. Just paid $45 for a boardgame mystery box at pax east ('average value over $120!). Ended up with dragon valley, Templars the secret treasures, kerflip, and ill-tempered tikis. Actual value about $45 if you were to buy it but why would anybody buy any of it? Ugh.

@Sie Picked up City of Kings (retail) just sent off for two overlays and the realistic resources from the website. Excited to play, but the mixed critical response has been interesting. I think it might suit our group (we like Gloom of Kilforth that I think has some similarities to CoK) but we really didn't take to Gloomhaven and Too Many Bones is so good, I'm hoping CoK can do the business and find its niche. 

Love the box though. Gorgeous. 

Also just picked up Lisboa.

I'm maybe thinking, fuck it, no games for less than £80 from now on.  

7 hours ago, cavalcade said:

@Sie Picked up City of Kings (retail) just sent off for two overlays and the realistic resources from the website. Excited to play, but the mixed critical response has been interesting. I think it might suit our group (we like Gloom of Kilforth that I think has some similarities to CoK) but we really didn't take to Gloomhaven and Too Many Bones is so good, I'm hoping CoK can do the business and find its niche. 

Love the box though. Gorgeous. 

Also just picked up Lisboa.

I'm maybe thinking, fuck it, no games for less than £80 from now on.  

Let me know how quickly your stuff arrives from the store, please! I ordered the anti knock trays and the dexterity pack / resources on the store last Wednesday and haven’t heard a peep but unsure if that’s just due to the Easter weekend. :unsure:

10 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

That's a lovely storage box for Arkham, very thematic.

Aye, I love it. Got it from the oplaser guys. Tempted to get a second one... one for character cards and another for campaigns. Should do for a couple of years I’d have thought.

So I need to get over the tragedy of my boardgame mystery box (I left the contents on a bench for someone to pick up).

What is the best boardgame to get right now that is less than a hundred bucks and fittable into a suitcase?

3 minutes ago, Tourist said:

What is the best boardgame to get right now that is less than a hundred bucks and fittable into a suitcase?

Where does one start with a question like that? You may as well ask "What is the best book?" "The best movie?"

Give us some clues, man, what do you like? Brain-burning Euro-style strategy games? Fast-playing card games? Games with lots of miniatures?

Well, BGG's "The Hotness", for all it's faults, is a list of games that are currently attracting attention:

Screenshot from 2018-04-06 08-54-39.png

That'll be a mix of old and new games, though. Some will be unreleased, too. My picks from the list, bearing in mind I love Eurogames, so this will be weighted towards heavier games (both figuratively and literally):

Azul

Not a Eurogame, but an abstract tile-placement game with lovely pieces.

Terraforming Mars

The big daddy of Eurogames from 2016. A lot of people have complaints about the quality of the components, but if science is your bag, it's a really enjoyable, thematic card-driven strategy game.

Feudum

I really don't have any clue what this is about but I nearly backed the Kickstarter just because it looks gorgeous.

Scythe

This is unlikely to fit in your suitcase, and might not have the freshness you're after (it's from early 2016), but it's a great strategy game with some fantastic art.

Great Western Trail

Not played this cowboy-themed game, but it's been on the wishlist since I heard about it. Looks like a really solid strategy game for up to four players, not too heavy but sounds very satisfying.

Clans of Caledonia

Everyone says this is an awesome Eurogame. I need to play it.

Sagrada

I have a thing for dice, so a game about placing lovely looking dice to make little stained glass windows is right up my alley.

Through the Ages

Don't buy this. It's the best attempt at turning the computer game Civilization into a board game, and I love it, but like me you'll never get to play it unless you know one or two just-as-nerdy players.

Mage Knight

Getting a bit long in the tooth now, and a new ultimate edition has just been announced, but this was supposed to be the king of solo gaming until we saw this new wave of gigantic co-op games like KDM and Gloomhaven.

Concordia

This is from 2013, but it's a really nice medium-weight strategy game about trading in the Mediterranean- no wait, come back! It's good, really! 

Maybe Mars or Caledonia then I guess. I saw azul but it doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I would live to get scytbe but I think it might be a bit too big for my case...

Actually, out of those three what is the best single player game?

2 minutes ago, Tourist said:

Maybe Mars or Caledonia then I guess. I saw azul but it doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I would live to get scytbe but I think it might be a bit too big for my case...

I haven’t played Azul but CoC plays well as a single player game.

I’d also recommend Arkham Horror LCG or LOTR LCG. Both are awesome and both play well solo too.

one Deck Dungeon is a great wee solo game in a wee box

1 minute ago, Tourist said:

I can only comment on TM, as that's the only solo variant I've actually played (not tried Scythe and don't own CoC). TM's solo mode is really good though. Tough, but always different, and full of interesting decisions.

I actually hate one deck dungeon, having bought it at last year's pax east!

If clans of Caledonia has a single player variant maybe I will look for that or scythe...

Edit: oh. Or terraforming Mars I guess!

Thanks guys.

I find Scythe a bit limited as a SP experience simply because utilising each factions special skill /ability is the way to go each time and if you are comfortable with playing 3 or 4 hands a time you burn through it fairly quickly.  Gorgeous design though, and it's a keeper.  It would surely fit into a suitcase if that's your bag.

Terra Mystica on the other hand takes a lot longer to work through because there are more factions and more interaction possibilities (and Gaia Project is a more complex variant on that)  I also like Trickerion which combines lovely design with some fiendishly clever "worker placement" ideas.  Concordia, Marco Polo and Dominant Species would be on the also rans list for crunchy games suitable for SP.

Gloomhaven is the king of co-op dungeon crawlers as far as I'm concerned (and ideal for SP) but there seem to be several out there just now.

Edited by Cosmic_Guru