General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

8 hours ago, Rikku said:

The expansions look totally overwhelming. There is just so much! And the prices. :o (If you didn’t KS)

I’m giddy about building the first minis. I have never built a mini in my life so I have no idea how badly this is going to turn out. Hopefully my thin cement and plastic glue will turn up before the weekend so I can get started. I think I’ll practice on the Shadow of Brimstone minis first!

I wouldn't have bought the expansions if it wasn't KS price I don't think tbh. At least not this early. Still got a whole lot of gaming to do with the base stuff.

Definitely practice on something simpler first. The build guides on the KDM website are pretty good and should see you through it without too much stress...

I assume it shipped from in the UK then when you got it so quick?

Yeah, I feel fairly confident with following the guide on build.kingdomdeath and have watched a fair few videos. Supahamstas was pretty good as his even colour coded where they were on the sprues per mini. 

It shipped from England somewhere. I didn’t hear anything for a few days, then got dpd tracking to say it would be delivered next day. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I've just seen an organiser for Gloomhaven advertised for £45.  Alternatively, if you have a Morrisons to hand, these basic, but, critically, nest-able food containers can be yours for £3 and they are incredibly useful if you are in the habit of keeping games open or semi-open until you are done with them.  Here a stack contains all enemy tokens from GH organised by type (the biggest lid fitting snugly over the lot); they are also brilliant for cash, health and numerous other tokens used in Sword & Sorcery with monster figurines in the largest.

2018-04-27_13_14_10.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for changing the tone somewhat, but a reference to a Holden Shearer in the total biscuit thread in discussion sent me down an internet rabbit hole to discover the existence of an apparent acme of douchebaggery called Zak Smith/Sabbath, who is involved in vampire and dungeons and dragons.

Eg. http://shawnstruck.blogspot.jp/2017/04/dramatic-failure-serial-harasser-zak-s.html?m=1

Does anybody know any more?

• 3 weeks later...

I was randomly thinking about Neuroshima Hex today, and even snuck in a quick game on the app at lunch (still awesome, but still dislike the new art style :/). Anyway, I decided to Google it for no real reason and it turns out they are making a new fantasy game based on the NH engine - Monolith Arena! It's due out October this year during Essen.

Wage war against opponents on a hexagonal board. Prepare your armies to face off on the battlefield and surprise your enemy with your choice of special abilities!

Monolith Arena is a fantasy battleground board game built around the base engine of Neuroshima Hex, which is also from designer Michał Oracz. The game includes five factions, with unique abilities and units! Each player has a monolith that serves as their headquarters, and each player seeds their monolith with three tokens that provide special abilities. When an opponent damages your monolith, you remove the top layer to expose the first token, gaining its special ability, so being attacked can actually make you stronger — albeit while still moving you toward defeat...

Straight to the top of my want list.

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/06/2018 at 12:53, therearerules said:

I’m in Birmingham on the 12th July for work, but I’ve got to stay overnight. I don’t suppose some of our Birmingham based boardgamers would want a mini gaming meet then?

Of shit just seen this. Sorry :( 

4 hours ago, therearerules said:

Traveling Man sale time again!

C919B684-12A0-4B72-98B0-050341379638.thumb.jpeg.b638d5d4e10e28b94dac19669dcfb29f.jpeg

On a side note, has anybody read a worse instruction manual than the one in Sidereal Confluence?

How!? Isnt it really hard to find and also pretty well regarded? I never in a milliom years would have expected it to turn up in a 50% off sale! 

• 4 weeks later...

So a few weeks (months?) I saw a really interesting looking game called Fumie no tame ni at a nearby yodobashi camera. But I was with my wife so obviously couldn't buy it. I figured I'd go back on the sly and pick it up. When I looked it up it seems it's by the guy who did love letters.

When I got back from my last business trip I went to a different yodobashi but they didn't have it. Today I tried the original yodobashi and they also didn't have it.

:(

On 18/08/2018 at 21:46, Mortis said:

So is anyone from here off to Tabletop Scotland at the start of September? Just in case there’s a vague chance of a ‘muk game of something while I’m up there :)

A squad of us going up... I’m the only mukker mind.

13 hours ago, scottcr said:

A squad of us going up... I’m the only mukker mind.

Cool, maybe get a game of something with you over the weekend :) I'll be camped out at the open play area. Still trying to decide what to take up with me though and hoping someone brings a copy of Arkwright, has space and is willing to teach. Just before I go spending the money on a copy and finding out it's too heavy for me or my group :)

Anybody living near a Travelling Man it might be worth popping in to have a last look at their sale. Only a few days to go but they've upped the discounts so anything that was 25% off is now 50% off. I bought a few, um quite a few....., new games including Agra, which looks amazingly beautiful, Ex Libris, Majesty, La Granja and also a couple of expansions for Raiders of the North Sea. 

Having now realised that I also have a board game crate arriving in the next couple of days and several kickstarters about to land I think I need to stop buying stuff.