IGNORED

General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

On 01/07/2019 at 12:46, SimonC said:

I paid a similar amount for my board at the Uk games expo a few years ago and it fufills all my wood flicking needs! Hope you enjoy it :)

Got the Ferti 65cm board, and introduced it to my partner yesterday. She was sceptical at first (looking at it) but within one game we were both hooked and she was thinking where we could store it, haha.

Incredible game, really satisfying, addictive, lots of wow moments. Really pleased with it! If anyone wants a cheap way to play crokinole I'd recommend it without hesitation!

Chaps and chappettes, I was thinking it might be fun to collect all the netrunner data packs before they get any rarer. I know it’ll cost a bit but it’s just a hobby collection thing I can have on the back burner when I’m feeling flush. Am I completely insane? Is it ever coming back? What’s the deal with the licensing exactly? 

It's borderline insanity.

I've got (a lot) of data packs, but have gone back to core to play with a friend, and enjoying that actually. (He's only got core+one data pack)

You need other people with the same cards to play with, IF you've got those people to play against them data packs make sense.

We've got some of the cheap draft packs that were being sold off, (for four of us to have a draft night) so they'll probably end up being added to our core sets. (Or perhaps a draft cube)

As far as I can tell, FFG owns the Android universe license and continue to use it, but WOTC owns the original Richard Garfield netrunner card game systems which were based on the original Cyberpunk 2020 RPG Netrunner class. They licensed the original Richard Garfield game systems and Netrunner name to FFG who planted it in the Android universe. I've always speculated WOTC will come out with a CCG/LCG called "Cyberpunk 2077: Netrunner" which will be the Netrunner card game system with cyberpunk 2077 art. I'm guessing Cyberpunk 2077 came along and made all this too messy to manage.

(Sorry, rewrote this twice and it still barely makes sense)

So I've consulted with the BF and he liked the look of Hive so he's ordered that. And I've just put one in for Camel Up, Tides of Time and Coup. As relatively good value 2 player games.

But I've found another that I fancy Songbirds to add to now quite long list. I think it looks really pretty and the theme might interest my family.

spacer.png

I'd add 7 Wonders Duel to that list too if it's 2 player stuff you want that's neither too expensive or takes up too much space. One of my favourites. Also, the small box ticket to ride games (London and New York) both play really well with 2. Oh, and Res Arcana but that's sold out everywhere.

2 hours ago, Andy_Why said:

Is it 2 player stuff you are looking for primarily @emerald fox? I'd highly recommend adding Jaipur to that list if so. Such a good game.

6 minutes ago, uglifruit said:

I second Jaipur for 2 player goodness.

I got impatient and downloaded the app version of this. It's perfect and we usually play a round each evening. But yes I would prefer a real version, and the artwork on it looks quite scrumptious.

2 hours ago, SimonC said:

I'd add 7 Wonders Duel to that list too if it's 2 player stuff you want that's neither too expensive or takes up too much space. One of my favourites. Also, the small box ticket to ride games (London and New York) both play really well with 2. Oh, and Res Arcana but that's sold out everywhere.

Ow thanks both added to the list. Ticket to Ride London is an especially good suggestion as he's new to London and we're expecting quite a few guests who will be too, a a bit of novelty value. It's even got my home town of Ele & Castle on it :wub:

23 hours ago, emerald fox said:

So I've consulted with the BF and he liked the look of Hive so he's ordered that. And I've just put one in for Camel Up, Tides of Time and Coup. As relatively good value 2 player games.

But I've found another that I fancy Songbirds to add to now quite long list. I think it looks really pretty and the theme might interest my family.

spacer.png

If you like the look/idea of Songbirds then definitely look at Arboretum. It’s also gorgeous and it’s a very, very clever game.

I suspect few will back me in this suggestion because there’s just so much of it, but my girlfriend and I would definitely put Dice Masters at the top of our 2 player list. If you like comics at all, it’s a very easy sell. Get lucky on eBay and you can get a hell of a lot of game for not that much money. 

11 minutes ago, Rev said:

If you like the look/idea of Songbirds then definitely look at Arboretum. It’s also gorgeous and it’s a very, very clever game.

I suspect few will back me in this suggestion because there’s just so much of it, but my girlfriend and I would definitely put Dice Masters at the top of our 2 player list. If you like comics at all, it’s a very easy sell. Get lucky on eBay and you can get a hell of a lot of game for not that much money. 

The only reason I didn't buy Songbirds is because we already own Arboretum, but it looks lovely.

Aside: Japanese name for Songbirds translates as Birdie Fight!

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

The only reason I didn't buy Songbirds is because we already own Arboretum, but it looks lovely.

Aside: Japanese name for Songbirds translates as Birdie Fight!

Which edition of Arboretum have you got? I’ve got the first edition (in French) but I’m kinda tempted to buy the deluxe second edition with the shiny cards.

Because shiny cards.

Just now, Rev said:

Which edition of Arboretum have you got? I’ve got the first edition (in French) but I’m kinda tempted to buy the deluxe second edition with the shiny cards.

Because shiny cards.

The first in German. I don't like the illustrations on the new edition as much as the first, but you can get one in a pretty wooden box.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

The first in German. I don't like the illustrations on the new edition as much as the first, but you can get one in a pretty wooden box.

Yeah, the wooden box is the one with all shiny cards in it. It’s very much directly appealing to my football sticker collecting side.

I don't know tbh, I was just struck by the similarities as I was googling at the UK Games Expo where I saw it on sale. It'd prolly be best to YouTube some reviews and see what folks say. I had a quick google for threads on the similarities of them but couldn't come up with anything concrete. 

34 minutes ago, emerald fox said:

How similar of different do you think the game play is?

I ask as lovely as Arboretum looks I really love the bird illustrations, and reading the descriptions it's a bit hard to tell without playing them.

From what I've seen Songbirds is a bit simpler than Arboretum, so getting Songbirds and then Arboretum later might be logical. To throw a bit of confusion into the matter, there is also Piepmatz, which also has lovely little birds and sounds different.

Just have a look at all three, I guess. That said, I really don't think there's much of a problem with having similar games if you like them. No point in having clones, but similar is fine.

So Hive arrived this weekend. The first game was a bit blah as we just branched out in opposing straight lines and then it was a race to place ants and grass hoppers. But then we started to get the tactics and try and lay down defence and traps, got into using the beetle, and also moving our queens. My crowning achievement was when the BF realised that I'd deliberately laid pieces down on my Queen to block what would become the final placement.

Nobody plays Hive with me. Sulk. It's very good though.

(Although they really could have given it a nicer theme. At least Cockroach Poker leans into the insect theme, Hive is just "maybe insects?")

5 hours ago, jonamok said:

Hive is brilliant, and seems in the minority of modern games in that it has absolutely zero luck component. No dice, no deck, no asymmetry, nothing random. Just a sheer battle of wits.

If you want another game with no luck then you should try Terra Mystica. It can be expensive but worth looking out for, I got mine for a bargain price in one of Travelling Man's sales.

20 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

If you want another game with no luck then you should try Terra Mystica. It can be expensive but worth looking out for, I got mine for a bargain price in one of Travelling Man's sales.

Gaia Project is pretty much Terra Mystica 2.0 and just as brilliant as TM. It doesn't play 5 like TM but it does have the benefit of scaling better at lower player counts and is the better experience with 2 or 3. Tm just feels a bit too loose with less than 4.

Another zero luck game would be Caylus. Absolutley everything is player driven in that game. No dice and no deck of cards. If something happens it happens because of a player choice. Although it's getting on a bit now it's still an outstanding example of good game design.