rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

On 10/08/2019 at 22:10, scottcr said:

Oh I’m sure it’ll be good... you’ll have spent about 700 quid on it within the next couple of years 

Don't you throw things we both know are factually true at me! :mad:

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Don't you throw things we both know are factually true at me! :mad:

it's why I've bailed from Arkham Horror now.  It's a great game - but the thing was running away from me.  I've not got the time to dedicate to learning the cards and the options and working through the campaigns.  

So my teenage daughter (my usual gaming buddy) has a sleepover with 3 of her friends. They wake up this morning in her room with literally dozens of amazing games of all shapes and sizes (see BGG link below), so what do they decide to play?

Spoiler

Cheat. And Uno:doh:

• Empathy 1

Mine would be to choose who you're playing with carefully.  Don't invite super-competitive goal driven player, invite people who enjoy the ride rather than the outcome.  (I've one friend like this, he's no longer invited to anything rpg ish)

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, uglifruit said:

Mine would be to choose who you're playing with carefully.  Don't invite super-competitive goal driven player, invite people who enjoy the ride rather than the outcome.  (I've one friend like this, he's no longer invited to anything rpg ish)

I think it'll just be my brother, my 7 year old son and me. I'll be the DM so it shouldn't be too competitive. Want my son to get into it so can't put him off by making it too tricky!

That should be alright then. As long as your players aren't obsessed on how to "win". Make it about reflecting back afterwards and laughing about the crazy things that happened on your adventures.

• Upvote 1

So any of you lot heading to Tabletop Scotland at the weekend? I’ve got a packed Saturday, Starship Bridge aim, Arkwright, Container and Captain sonar all hopefully being played then a Sunday with my little girl - letting her loose on the Haba Zone and probably beating me at Santorini.

On 15/08/2019 at 18:44, Padster said:

So my teenage daughter (my usual gaming buddy) has a sleepover with 3 of her friends. They wake up this morning in her room with literally dozens of amazing games of all shapes and sizes (see BGG link below), so what do they decide to play?

Hide contents

Cheat. And Uno:doh:

Let’s be honest, they’re both better than about 99% of other games. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mortis said:

So any of you lot heading to Tabletop Scotland at the weekend? I’ve got a packed Saturday, Starship Bridge aim, Arkwright, Container and Captain sonar all hopefully being played then a Sunday with my little girl - letting her loose on the Haba Zone and probably beating me at Santorini.

Yes, taking the family on Sunday. Haba zone was a hit with toddler daughter last year so hopeful of a repeat.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone played Arkham LCG The Circle Undone?

Finding it really hard (not gameplay although Wages of Sin kicked bums) but there’s just so much to remember and keep track of 

On 25/08/2019 at 12:37, scottcr said:

Playing Jaws at TTS. It’s great

It’s only £20 to preorder on Amazon. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

It’s only £20 to preorder on Amazon. 

it's a disgustingly amazing gaming bargain at that price.... I think 4 of us at the table playing it all pre-ordered it.

It's thematic As FUCK.  If you enjoy the film, you'll love how it plays to the theme.  Particularly the second act where you're trying to kill the shark before the Orca sinks.  In my second game, with only two bits of the ship left, Quint (at the back of the boat - where else for his final showdown), got out his machette and started chopping and managed to kill the shark...  great stuff.

• Upvote 1

On 27/08/2019 at 14:56, scottcr said:

it's a disgustingly amazing gaming bargain at that price.... I think 4 of us at the table playing it all pre-ordered it.

It's thematic As FUCK.  If you enjoy the film, you'll love how it plays to the theme.  Particularly the second act where you're trying to kill the shark before the Orca sinks.  In my second game, with only two bits of the ship left, Quint (at the back of the boat - where else for his final showdown), got out his machette and started chopping and managed to kill the shark...  great stuff.

Really excited to hear that, ordered it a few weeks ago when I saw it for £20 on Amazon.

Dispatch date pushed back to Nov though :-(

• Upvote 1

Christ, that’s a bargain. Ordered.

What better game to play on the morning after Brexit Day than one that focuses on the suffering of innocents all round a small island, followed by the violent thrashing death throes of a once mighty beast.

• Upvote 3

Breaking character for a moment. Oh no.

I've noticed that there's a forum D&D game running; would there be any interest at all in another game in a modern day and more sandboxy setting. Either Vampire: The Masquerade or Unknown Armies spring to mind.

59 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Breaking character for a moment. Oh no.

I've noticed that there's a forum D&D game running; would there be any interest at all in another game in a modern day and more sandboxy setting. Either Vampire: The Masquerade or Unknown Armies spring to mind.

Do Orpheus and I'm in.

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

Do Orpheus and I'm in.

Orpheus is an interesting proposition. Obviously, it's not nearly so easy to sandbox - and indeed, the main strength of Orpheus is the main campaign (Crusade of Ashes > End Game). Would you be interested in playing through that arc?

I played through it over a decade ago so I can't remember much other than I got to play a criminal who dicked over the party occasionally in the service of the story, which was fun, but I remember liking the White Wolf system in general.

Sounds like you did the Orpheus "Core" experience, where you just play investigators - after that, the did an actual, official campaign (similar to the D&D ones, in that it provides a framework and direction, but it's not a strait jacket), which basically throws the players into an increasingly nightmarish shitstorm as the end of the world slowly comes to pass. And if you're lucky or good, you might be able to pull it back from the brink.

I'm in a similar position to you, I've not played it in a very long time so I'll need to go and re-read everything.

Lets see if anyone else posts.

18 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Sounds like you did the Orpheus "Core" experience, where you just play investigators - after that, the did an actual, official campaign (similar to the D&D ones, in that it provides a framework and direction, but it's not a strait jacket), which basically throws the players into an increasingly nightmarish shitstorm as the end of the world slowly comes to pass. And if you're lucky or good, you might be able to pull it back from the brink.

I'm in a similar position to you, I've not played it in a very long time so I'll need to go and re-read everything.

Lets see if anyone else posts.

You’d be better starting a thread regardless of whether you end up doing it or not. 

Forgot to mention - I blagged a completely brand new and unpunched Tyrants of the Underdark from TTS Bring and Buy for 25 quid which I thought was quite the find.  Looking forward to getting that one going.

Love a bit of Tyrants - the expansions are well worth adding to the box at the earliest opportunity - just make sure you sleeve it all up as the cards are a bit poor quality and the expansion backs are a slightly different shade.

On 11/09/2019 at 21:45, The Eagle Lord said:

Not sure if this is of any interest to anyone but there been a comic released today based on a miniature game i personally have never heard of.

https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/starcadia-quest-1/

Starcadia Quest.

It’s a sequel/new version of Arcadia Quest, which is a bit of a Kickstarter darling (ie. buckets full of miniatures that aren’t reallyyyy needed for any reason beyond More Stuff) but one I keep bidding on intermittently on eBay because I like the sound of it quite a lot. Not won it yet.

Starcadia Quest itself isn’t actually out yet. Backers should have got it by now, hence comic, but now won’t be getting it until early next year. 

• Upvote 1

I've played Arcadia Quest a few times (currently stalled on a campaign) and really do want to like it, but it just takes a bit long for what is essentially a dice chucking bit of fun. The last game I played (4 player) took us approx 3 hours, and none of us are slow players.... If you could get it done in an hour it would be perfect.

Played our first game of Treasure Island yesterday and loved it. Recommended for a 1hr-ish family game. My son's coming up for 8 and it was probably *just* beyond him, though he was catching on towards the end - for kids aged 10 or so, it would be ideal. My wife was absolutely raging that she could not find the treasure despite going over her mini-map with a fine toothed comb and HATED the bluff mechanic with a passion. She insists on being Long John Silver next time, just to watch me squirm.  Drawing all over the board never gets old and using the compass tool to draw big circles on it is much more fun than you'd think. 

• Upvote 3