rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

Thanks (again), both. Must stress that I'm very casual, despite owning buying my kids:

Warhammer Kill Team (ace models but too faffy; going to make simplified rules)

Escape the Dark Castle (Awesome awesome awesome)

Mice & Mystics (hoped it would be the new Heroquest, but wrong expectations)

Combo Fighter (awesome awesome awesome)

Forbidden Island (reaaaaallly love this)

Exploding Kittens (loads of fun)

Spell Smashers (getting into this more with my son)

Pokemon TGC (slowly learning how to play this at the behest of my son)

Heroquest (still ace after all these years)

…etc. Main selling point to me is the easy to get out and put away (ooer), with rich visual/story theme.

Maybe I'll give Arkham a go, it might be a cool creepy story for me and the boy. I'm not so interested in 'depth' (which I usually read as meaning unnecessary complexity half the time), as much as an engaging hour with family or friends.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Problem solved; they'd already sold their copy! fuck!

Look at it like this; if you were actually bothered you'd have bought it when you had the chance. If you have to think about something you don't want it that much. That's how I think with regard to shit like this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Twinbee said:

Thanks (again), both. Must stress that I'm very casual, despite owning buying my kids:

Warhammer Kill Team (ace models but too faffy; going to make simplified rules)

Escape the Dark Castle (Awesome awesome awesome)

Mice & Mystics (hoped it would be the new Heroquest, but wrong expectations)

Combo Fighter (awesome awesome awesome)

Forbidden Island (reaaaaallly love this)

Exploding Kittens (loads of fun)

Spell Smashers (getting into this more with my son)

Pokemon TGC (slowly learning how to play this at the behest of my son)

Heroquest (still ace after all these years)

…etc. Main selling point to me is the easy to get out and put away (ooer), with rich visual/story theme.

Maybe I'll give Arkham a go, it might be a cool creepy story for me and the boy. I'm not so interested in 'depth' (which I usually read as meaning unnecessary complexity half the time), as much as an engaging hour with family or friends.

It's £30 so you may as well take a punt. Make up your own mind, like.

32 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Look at it like this; if you were actually bothered you'd have bought it when you had the chance. If you have to think about something you don't want it that much. That's how I think with regard to shit like this.

It's a good way to think about things, that's for sure. However, being completely honest with myself, it wasn't because I didn't want it - it was because I wanted it cheaper! :-P

More fool me! 

(I picked up Pandemic: Legacy Season 1 in it's abscence.... I will be getting divorced soon.)

One last thing - is there a reason why Bargain Quest doesn't seem to be in print over here, but all the expansions are? Looks like a right larf, and very interesting.

I picked up bargain quest when it came into print recently it’s a fun game and plays well at every player count. It was only available from the states for ages so I expect the renegade games print run sold out for the base game quite quickly. 

• Upvote 1

Ooooooooooooooohhhhhh that looks nice

And it's on Amazon.

Of course, it’ll never be as awesome as Waddingtons’ Escape from Frankenstein (which I still have and is still marvellous, despite being quite random). Probably my favourite board game until Heroquest cane along a few years later. 

3234EA45-76B3-4018-82FA-1209382F2C5A.jpeg

• Upvote 3

I had that too! I gave it to charity about ten years ago when having a clearout, and I wish I hadn’t now. I always thought the latter part of the game, once the lava spread, really slowed it all down. Never occurred to me to change the rules a bit. 

Wasn’t Michael trying to Kickstarter a reprint with the designer’s original rules? Waddington’s diddled with them, apparently. 

Same designer came up with Survive!/Escape from Atlantis, which had a similarly epic injection moulded version from Waddington’s in the 80s. We had both!

Plugging our games day up in Newcastle at the end of the month.

Saturday 29th February we're having an all day board gaming meet at our current place just a mile north of Newcastle city centre in Gosforth. There are already several forumites coming but anyone who would like to come should send me a pm for the details. It should be a good day and we're looking forward to getting lots of games played.

On 14/02/2020 at 11:28, Alexlotl said:

Wasn’t Michael trying to Kickstarter a reprint with the designer’s original rules? Waddington’s diddled with them, apparently. 

Same designer came up with Survive!/Escape from Atlantis, which had a similarly epic injection moulded version from Waddington’s in the 80s. We had both!

I was! And there was even a planned third game to complete the trilogy. Sadly (sadly?) I ended up working in the industry proper, so plans for a reboot fell away. I still have an original late 70s prototype of Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs in my collection though, with every card hand drawn on index cards. I should get round to documenting that sometime. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, michael said:

I was! And there was even a planned third game to complete the trilogy. Sadly (sadly?) I ended up working in the industry proper, so plans for a reboot fell away. I still have an original late 70s prototype of Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs in my collection though, with every card hand drawn on index cards. I should get round to documenting that sometime. 

Nice, didn’t know about the prototype. Based on that, would a copyright-skirting conversion kit for the Waddingtons game be potentially possible?

11 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Nice, didn’t know about the prototype. Based on that, would a copyright-skirting conversion kit for the Waddingtons game be potentially possible?

Possible, but certainly not financially viable :(

On 14/02/2020 at 07:22, uglifruit said:

I very much enjoyed Escape From Frankenstein, but Lost Valley Of The Dinosaurs was better...

349x400.jpg

I found a complete copy of this in a charity shop a few years ago for a few quid. Kept it a while and played it with the family before selling it on for an obscene profit.

Snagged a copy of Hotel Tycoon on monday from the same shop for £4, a recent Asmodee reprint of Hotel, complete and with all its 3D buildings. Thankfully it's stood the test of time as a fun and amusing alternative to Monopoly's staleness, and I smashed the family to pieces.

• Upvote 1

What’s Castle Ravenloft like? I’m after more games that are a bit Heroquest-y, with nice miniatures and an accessible mechanic. Games that can be wrapped up in an hour. 

I’ve never played D&D before, and don’t have the time/patience/people to start, but it does look rather nice. 

I sold mine. It was fine but it was routinely unfair but I can't remember why. @strawdonkey will be able to explain it better. I think you might be better off looking at Descent V2.

• Upvote 1

I can't remember the exact reasons, other than it being a bit unsatisfying to play. The idea was good but the reliance on die rolls definitely didn't help (though I'm extremely grumpy about failure via die roll, it's the same thing that killed Summoner Wars for me).

• Upvote 1

Probably because the monsters get to go first!  It's brutal, and great.  I love it.

Gives a flavour of D&D, doesn't get bogged down by masses of rules - set up, play and put away in an hour.  The rules such as they are are fast and loose and you're encouraged to house rule anything that might come up, or you can just head to BGG for an answer.  I would probably encourage anyone new to the DDAS games to buy one of the newer ones though as they have tightened them up a little bit over time.  Mad Mage is great, much more trap heavy and the encounter deck seems a little fairer.

• Upvote 1

Gawd knows. I saw it in the ‘not for sale’ part of Travelling Man, whilst waiting 3 hours for the boy to finish his Pokemon tournament. Looks like there are copies for £40 on Amazon (probs second hand).

Was in Travelling Man in Newcastle today, while on a week’s holiday in the north-east. Was verrrry close to picking up the Arkham Horror card game, but then decided to put my pocket money towards getting Horrified instead (which, weirdly, the staff hadn’t heard of when I asked for it). Think I’ll get more play out of that for the money.

I like the look of Wingspan, too. Box art is delightful, and the cardboard birdhouse looks lovely. 

Was also interested in the Resident Evil 2 board game after reading some good reviews, but 90 quid is just far too much money, sadly. 

I found the resident evil 2 boardgame incredibly dull. It’s very much a move dude, roll dice game - I’d rather play zombiecide and I didn’t like that either. 

• Upvote 1