IGNORED

General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

3 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Modular board looks good. One of the things I don’t like bout Smallworld is the static board. Makes games a bit samey. 

That's what Realms is for I think. Comes with a load of tiles you can configure as you like. At least I think so, I've had it 7 years and not used it yet.

22 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

@moosegrinder want to sell it? Then you could buy Nusfjord: one in, one out.

No I'd like to give it a go, to be honest. I've given up in Njusford because I really can't justify the 17 quid for a board game that's probably not going to get played for another 6 months or some shit.

On 16/04/2020 at 20:58, Mortis said:

With another 3 weeks of lockdown I’ve decided I need a decent solo game to keep me from losing my marbles entirely. The whole gaming on table top sim etc is better than no gaming but I miss the physical interactivity. 
 I then went looking around online and somehow found myself chucking a chunk of change at Mage Knight Ultimate edition. 
 Tell me I’ve not just thrown my pocket money down the drain :)

Mage Knight is the best solo game you’ll ever play and Gloomhaven wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for that game...

9 hours ago, scottcr said:

Mage Knight is the best solo game you’ll ever play and Gloomhaven wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for that game...

Id like to see a list of games where the developers acknowledge the influence of Mage Knight.  You can see clear influences in the likes of Shadows of Malice (cost of moving across different types of terrain), Hexplore it series (different types of structures encountered)*, as well as in the card play of Gloomhaven.   Pretty certain  MK will come back to the table for 2 or 3 sessions pretty soon.

* in addition, the term "mastery" is used in both of these games which may or may not be co-incidental.

The *only* thing I would say against MK is that it's a massive table hog and in some ways it doesn't need to be... the level tracker boards are a oversized and a companion app for that stuff would be ideal.

... but... oh man... the puzzling.  It's so rewarding when you work out an ultra efficient way to beat a hard monster.

Has anyone played Magic Realm? It’s a 70s Avalon Hill game which in my opinion was the progenitor of Mage Knight. It’s fairly impenetrable though, famously so. I actually have a complete copy with a fairly sun faded box if anyone is interested up for a challenge and interested in buying it :)

Yes, saw this today. Might be worth looking at just because it adds in some of the expansion stuff as we only have vanilla Smallworld (with its ludicrously limited stock of only 280 race/power combinations!). Mainly just an excuse for a good pun name, though. And of course we'll have to shout Hearthstone battlecries while we play it. Mrgglgggglglgl!

• 2 weeks later...

Be interested everyone's view of Arkham Horror Card Game - I've been away from traditional tabletop gaming for over twenty years but I'm getting the sudden urge to start playing `something` again.

Was always a fan of CoC but AH seems like something I could stumble my way through solo in the event that I can't get the other half to play through it with me.

edit:  sorry, should have been a bit more specific  - outside of the Core box it looks like the expansions and Mythos packs are quite and investment. Just wondering what the availability of the packs is like outside of the Covid-19 situation? Some of the packs seem impossible to get or going for twice the price. Is this the norm?

Last time I played Secret Hitler I noticed the back of one of my tiles was damaged. I'd only played my copy a few times, as I'd played it a lot at my old gaming group but bought my own to introduce it to other people, and I didn't think I'd damaged it. Anyway, being able to identify a tile from the back would potentially ruin games.

I tried to forget which tile it was but couldn't, so I emailed the makers the other day to ask for a replacement tile. They replied to say they were unable to do this so they've just sent out a complete second copy, free of charge instead. Amazing customer service.

It's my favourite social deduction game. People should definitely try it if they haven't and social deduction doesn't automatically turn them off. Some of my best gaming memories involve successfully hoodwinking people into electing Hitler. Obviously you wouldn't be able to play it for a while, but you know, when you can.

On 24/05/2020 at 22:08, Spatial said:

Be interested everyone's view of Arkham Horror Card Game - I've been away from traditional tabletop gaming for over twenty years but I'm getting the sudden urge to start playing `something` again.

Was always a fan of CoC but AH seems like something I could stumble my way through solo in the event that I can't get the other half to play through it with me.

edit:  sorry, should have been a bit more specific  - outside of the Core box it looks like the expansions and Mythos packs are quite and investment. Just wondering what the availability of the packs is like outside of the Covid-19 situation? Some of the packs seem impossible to get or going for twice the price. Is this the norm?

They're usually plentiful at release. But get sold out quick - they are periodically reprinted but not always at the right time.

If you wanted to go specifically for all of them off the bat - no chance. If you want a specific one, you'd have to search around, get bits from different places and maybe wait a while.

If you wanted to leap to current cycle - no problem.

If you can get over "got to them have all".

Thanks @Hexx - I've chucked an order in for the Core box to see if it's for me before going crazy.

If so I guess I'll have to resign myself to it being a slow burn on picking up the Mythos packs as I go as I'd like to play them in some sort of order (although I did read somewhere that you technically can play each one as a stand alone - not sure if that was true though as I got the impression they built off one another). A slow burn might not even be a problem when my spare time can be a bit limited.

Really surprised that they didn't use the Return To sets for the older modules to bundle up all the Mythos packs with some new cards so they could charge a premium.  Seems like it would have been easier for them than issuing random reprints on the older Mythos packs.

55 minutes ago, Spatial said:

Thanks @Hexx - I've chucked an order in for the Core box to see if it's for me before going crazy.

If so I guess I'll have to resign myself to it being a slow burn on picking up the Mythos packs as I go as I'd like to play them in some sort of order (although I did read somewhere that you technically can play each one as a stand alone - not sure if that was true though as I got the impression they built off one another). A slow burn might not even be a problem when my spare time can be a bit limited.

Really surprised that they didn't use the Return To sets for the older modules to bundle up all the Mythos packs with some new cards so they could charge a premium.  Seems like it would have been easier for them than issuing random reprints on the older Mythos packs.

You need to play each cycle in order really

eg Dunwich Big Box snd then Dunwich Mythos 1-6

Technically each can be played as a stand-alone but theyre meant as a campaign 

The cycles aren’t really connected though - you can play any of them in any order - look which ones you like 

@Spatial In the same boat. Bought and played Core Box, then bought Dunwich core set (it’s great - a lot better than NotZ).

Now trying to find the Mythos Packs. Managed to grab 1-5 from all over the place in the last three weeks at an average cost each of about £22. Quite the mark up, but they are literally hen’s teeth, and no current word from FFG on a reprint. Pack 6 still eludes me.

As far as I can find there’s literally one of two for sale in all of Europe/US/Canada, for £40-50. Lol, no. So my quest continues.

For the same cost reasons I’m going to pass on all of the other sets, and wait for the Innsmouth set to arrive on October, and buy and play that and its subsequent Mythos Packs when everyone else does.

@jonamok I see what you mean... it's for sale for just £20 on Amazon.co.uk... in Spanish! (bit naughty as it's something you could miss if you weren't paying attention and blinded by an apparent bargain).

My core box arrived today so looking forward to cracking that open later (won't have time to give it a run through till at least the weekend tho).

Are there any recommended online places that sell the packs for the going rate when they're more readily available?

I'm in a pickle trying to find a game i can play solo and / or with against my father who has Parkinson's Dementia.

It has to be really simple (for me as much him) and something we can dabble in rather quickly but hold attention and work the brain a little. 

At the moment i am looking at getting one of the following:-

The Lost Expedition.

Onirim.

Ghost Stories.

I was thinking about Wings because he loves birds but it's overpriced and not really what i thought it was. 

TIA as always <3

Lost Expedition is quite punishing and while you might enjoy it I think you might find your dad doesn't. Ghost Stories is renowned as being similarly tough and I don't think is the short, quick game that you are looking for. Onirim is really a single player game much like a form of patience. It tends to be available as an app on ios/android very cheaply so you could try it.

We had a similar situation with my mum in her later life. I think you might find it very hard to get a game that will work in both situations (ie: solo for you and possibly with your dad). We found that mum could cope with simple card games and really enjoyed sitting at the table holding a hand of cards and being included. Here are some suggestions:

Five Cucumbers

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/147768/five-cucumbers

Parade

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/56692/parade

Circle the Wagons (which you can also get a solo mode for)

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/213266/circle-wagons

Those are 3 simple and quick cards games. Five Cucumbers being the simplest. Wagons being the quickest and the only one that could be played solo.

Kingdomino

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/204583/kingdomino

A bit more of a boardgame but still plays in about 15-20 minutes and easy to learn.

Tatsu

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181811/tatsu

A twist on backgammon. A great 2 player game that is quite simple to learn.

Lux Aeterna

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/282439/lux-aeterna

This may be the closest to your original brief. You could play it solo. You could sit down with your dad and play it cooperatively. It's a nice system, plays quickly and, while a challenge doesn't seem impossible or unfair.

I hope you can find something for you both.

Edit: Just thought of this one. Solo or for two. I've got it on order but they're not delivering yet because of the lockdown.

Tranquility

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/288513/tranquility

Available from https://boardgamehub.co.uk/shop#!/

I was going to echo this (and offer sympathies). My Dad had Parkinson's dementia, and whilst he didn't necessarily play competitively, he did enjoy being involved.  So something simple like Catan, or Carcassonne was just about manageable.

"Sprawlopolis" is solo/coop and excellent - if rather harder than you might be looking for for your dad.  Same makers and form factor (18 cards) as "circle the wagons", mentioned.

"DDay dice" is a fun solo/coop dice roller (yahzee style).

Both of these stand up to being played with a lot of thought as a solo puzzle - but more casually as something to see how badly you do, without giving it too much thought.

You'll know your dad best, of course - but might be enjoy the storytelling of "Sherlock Holmes consulting detective"? You'll spend your time just discussing the case with him.

Generally, I'd say that a roll and write would be perfect for you, but I guess it depends if he has any motor control impairment? They're good too as, generally, all information you need is visible at all times, so there's not much need to keep a lot of things in memory. Some of them can be very good solo too.

They can be a bit hard to come by right now, as everyone's playing them over Zoom. Some good entry level ones are: Noch Mal!, Kokoro and Qwixx. Getting more advanced, you have Welcome to..., Corinth and Castles of Burgundy the dice game.

If you can get hold of some dice and a printer, Corinth is available as a print and play version right now, here.

Back to normal board games, Patchwork is very good, and I'd put in another vote for Carcassonne (ignore the farm rules, at least at the start - those can get pretty confusing).

Definitely not Ghost Stories though, it's much more complex than it looks.

On 29/05/2020 at 14:22, Arn Ironjaw said:

I'm in a pickle trying to find a game i can play solo and / or with against my father who has Parkinson's Dementia.

It has to be really simple (for me as much him) and something we can dabble in rather quickly but hold attention and work the brain a little. 

At the moment i am looking at getting one of the following:-

The Lost Expedition.

Onirim.

Ghost Stories.

I was thinking about Wings because he loves birds but it's overpriced and not really what i thought it was. 

TIA as always <3

Honestly, I'd say you'd be better going for games that he knows. Backgammon and Chess would be obvious examples, maybe traditional card games. For modern games I'd recommend anything that has a clear theme. Flamme Rouge is always a recommendation for simpler games because it just makes sense, you're trying to get to the end as fast as you can and I think it'd work here. There's a bit of planning ahead to play really well, but you can mostly just react to the cards in your hand. I'd also always recommend Baren Park above Patchwork. There are a couple of fiddly rules, but mostly it's just a jigsaw for bears.

Best wishes for it though. Keep being involved and trying to help, but don't beat yourself up if and when things don't land as expected.

Thanks, we play cards quite often.

He saw them play boardgames on Orphan Black (runewars i think) and being aware i like games workshop and the ilk, piped up he wanted to try something like that. 

I think he's just looking for something different and to keep his interest.

We had a very brief and fun game of Pokemon Trading Card Game this afternoon, and he quite like that, we took to using a pad, so he could take his time with working out the damage and stuff. 

On 04/06/2020 at 17:53, Twinbee said:

What about something like Escape the Dark Castle? Short games, story-led, you can do most of the driving and keep track of your characters' health, etc.

I'll give that a look then!

Thank you.