rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

Generally, I'd say that a roll and write would be perfect for you, but I guess it depends if he has any motor control impairment? They're good too as, generally, all information you need is visible at all times, so there's not much need to keep a lot of things in memory. Some of them can be very good solo too.

They can be a bit hard to come by right now, as everyone's playing them over Zoom. Some good entry level ones are: Noch Mal!, Kokoro and Qwixx. Getting more advanced, you have Welcome to..., Corinth and Castles of Burgundy the dice game.

If you can get hold of some dice and a printer, Corinth is available as a print and play version right now, here.

Back to normal board games, Patchwork is very good, and I'd put in another vote for Carcassonne (ignore the farm rules, at least at the start - those can get pretty confusing).

Definitely not Ghost Stories though, it's much more complex than it looks.

• Upvote 1

On 29/05/2020 at 14:22, Arn Ironjaw said:

I'm in a pickle trying to find a game i can play solo and / or with against my father who has Parkinson's Dementia.

It has to be really simple (for me as much him) and something we can dabble in rather quickly but hold attention and work the brain a little. 

At the moment i am looking at getting one of the following:-

The Lost Expedition.

Onirim.

Ghost Stories.

I was thinking about Wings because he loves birds but it's overpriced and not really what i thought it was. 

TIA as always <3

Honestly, I'd say you'd be better going for games that he knows. Backgammon and Chess would be obvious examples, maybe traditional card games. For modern games I'd recommend anything that has a clear theme. Flamme Rouge is always a recommendation for simpler games because it just makes sense, you're trying to get to the end as fast as you can and I think it'd work here. There's a bit of planning ahead to play really well, but you can mostly just react to the cards in your hand. I'd also always recommend Baren Park above Patchwork. There are a couple of fiddly rules, but mostly it's just a jigsaw for bears.

Best wishes for it though. Keep being involved and trying to help, but don't beat yourself up if and when things don't land as expected.

Thanks, we play cards quite often.

He saw them play boardgames on Orphan Black (runewars i think) and being aware i like games workshop and the ilk, piped up he wanted to try something like that. 

I think he's just looking for something different and to keep his interest.

We had a very brief and fun game of Pokemon Trading Card Game this afternoon, and he quite like that, we took to using a pad, so he could take his time with working out the damage and stuff. 

• Upvote 4

What about something like Escape the Dark Castle? Short games, story-led, you can do most of the driving and keep track of your characters' health, etc.

On 04/06/2020 at 17:53, Twinbee said:

What about something like Escape the Dark Castle? Short games, story-led, you can do most of the driving and keep track of your characters' health, etc.

I'll give that a look then!

Thank you.

Our weekly Zoom gaming session with friends moved to a two-camera setup last night:

702368254_2020-06-0722_33_19.thumb.jpg.d6d25972ff0ef428b6e3eb42d5370607.jpg

The phone captured a wide of the main playing area and cards that tracked what each player was doing, while the ipad had a close up view of ability cards and dice rolls. Worked really well! 

In recent sessions I've already added an LED panel to the basic lamp so, by the end of all this, I'm expecting to be using a full TV Outside Broadcast truck. :D

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, frumious said:

Love it!  What's that you're playing?

VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game. An over-complicated title for a fairly simple, fun game. Locally anyway: it was a bit more complex than I thought it would be over Zoom, hence the need for a second camera. Before that, we played SteamRollers, which worked very well.

Most roll and write games play well remotely. Our friends don't have a printer, so we've laminated some scoring sheets and posted them to them.

• Upvote 1

I've been bitten by the Arkham Horror bug. If anyone has any of the LCG stuff that they want to get rid for a sensible price please let me know.

At the moment I'm after;

- Circle Undone Deluxe

- any of the Path to Carcosa Mythos packs

- The Miskatonic Museum Mythos Pack

- the standalone adventures

Would rather buy off someone here than people trying to charge a 200% markup :o

2 hours ago, Spatial said:

I've been bitten by the Arkham Horror bug. If anyone has any of the LCG stuff that they want to get rid for a sensible price please let me know.

At the moment I'm after;

- Circle Undone Deluxe

- any of the Path to Carcosa Mythos packs

- The Miskatonic Museum Mythos Pack

- the standalone adventures

Would rather buy off someone here than people trying to charge a 200% markup :o

Apparently Miskatonic is back in stock here:

https://thirstymeeples.co.uk/products/arkham-horror-the-card-game-the-miskatonic-museum-mythos-pack

• Upvote 1

After some COVID related delays, the first batch of Escape the Dark Sector are shipping to people who backed it on Kickstarter (literally - they’ve posted some pictures of ships leaving China). I’m not a KS backer, and messaged them about retail. They’re taking preorders in July for the retail release in September. Can’t wait!

…preorders now open for Dark Sector, if you’re subscribed to their email newsletter!!!

In a vein attempt to further recapture my youth I've been looking at Heroquest style games.

I did think of picking up FFG's Descent 2nd Edition but I'll be playing mostly solo or two players at most (whenever I can persuade my partner to sit down for an hour or two and play).

Looks like there's tonnes of content for Descent but really disappointed to find out the app for GM--less play doesn't cover the campaigns in the box and are separate (and you even have to pay extra for some of them). I think you can get fan made modules that act as a stand in but they need a lot of extra cards and management as a result. Also it looks like it's getting increasingly hard to get hold of anything outside of the Core box (possibly due to the new Legends of the Dark box FFG teased this week).

I've wondered if Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion might be a better alternative. I don't think I'm ready for full on Gloomhaven and it sounds like JotL makes introducing the way game easier and can be played completely solo without any extra finagling.

I think I'm slowly talking myself into JotL but anyone have any views on either, or any alternatives I've overlooked?

@Spatial

Blackstone fortress looks amazing and can be played solo apparently. I’ve been wavering over buying it myself. 

I like the look of that - reminds me a little of Space Crusade / Space Hulk (another part of my youth) but with more modern play mechanics. The character designs just ooze that usual Warhammer 40k level of cool too.

Not too sure of the price-point though seeing as I've already spent a load on Arkham Horror stuff of late. Still playing my way through that but fancy something else to break it up a bit.

I can't tell you the quality of the components and minis in Blackstone, it's on another level.  I thought £90 seemed a lot and then I opened the box and it's instantly clear where the money goes.  It's like Space Hulk, I bought it in 2014 when it relaunched and was blown away by the quality of it all. I'd since sold it and been without for a number of years.  I recently nabbed a copy from the lovely @donpeartree and was mind boggled all over again in spite of having bought so many premium quality board games in the intervening period.  The GW boxed games are astoundingly well crafted and worth the premium.

• Upvote 1

I've fallen down a bit of a Blackstone rabbit hole looking at the game on Youtube.

These speed paining guides are brilliant and the results really good - most of the techniques and washes are well within my capabilities after spending the last few years fixing paint defects and customising Marvel Legends figures

• Upvote 1

There's a new Vampire: the Masquerade card game (not VTES) hitting Kickstarter tomorrow, but the card designs are pretty vom.

pic5571359.jpg.b9454326438ff3b3680df6d30eab3e6e.jpg

... like, it's sort of like an unironic throwback to 90's card design. Such a mess.

• Upvote 1

So many games are absolute fucking garbage to look at, be it the graphic design or the artwork. Which is hilarious seeing as the primary method of interacting with them is visually. It's amazing how many games get this wrong. I'm guessing it's a money thing because big companies like Days Of Wonder, FF etc tend to get it right and smaller companies work with what they have. I'd forgive shitty artwork over shitty graphic design though.

I guess all the information is there on that V:TM card but yeah, it's prime 90s bullshit visually.

What strikes me as odd is how defensive some fans get about artwork (or lack thereof) in boardgames. Splottor is renowned for putting out heavy eurogames with very simple (and often very ugly) artwork, and every single time the bgg forums become battlegrounds as soon as someone asks the innocent question of "why can't this look better?", as if we're not allowed to want games to look nice. Granted, good artists are not cheap (nor should they be), but surely there's a middle ground between Android Netrunner and your cards looking like prototype assets someone forgot to update before you went to the printers?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, revlob said:

What strikes me as odd is how defensive some fans get about artwork (or lack thereof) in boardgames. Splottor is renowned for putting out heavy eurogames with very simple (and often very ugly) artwork, and every single time the bgg forums become battlegrounds as soon as someone asks the innocent question of "why can't this look better?", as if we're not allowed to want games to look nice. Granted, good artists are not cheap (nor should they be), but surely there's a middle ground between Android Netrunner and your cards looking like prototype assets someone forgot to update before you went to the printers?

There has to be.

I'm presuming the fan retailiation is because people who use BGG forums are entitled shitbags who take any slight on something they enjoy very personally because they seem to have some sort of artificially inflated self importance because they play oh so clever games, I'm sure you wouldn't understand.

I think it's literally you get what you pay for and I also think game designers tend to go to acquaintances or friends for artwork because it's cheap (I know a few designers and none of the buggers have contacted me. Although I'd probably shit it anyway).

I also think that, a bit like video games designers writing their own dialogue instead of, y'know, hiring a writer, they don't have anyone who 'knows' artwork and design theory very well.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm presuming the fan retailiation is because people who use BGG forums are entitled shitbags who take any slight on something they enjoy very personally because they seem to have some sort of artificially inflated self importance because they play oh so clever games, I'm sure you wouldn't understand.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgamescirclejerk/

3 hours ago, revlob said:

It's the weight of the Splotter stuff that makes their minimalist design so fantastic. Honestly, I can't imagine playing Food Chain Magnate if the city tiles were elaborately designed - you'd never be able to extract the key visual information quickly enough. I mean, that game takes long enough to play and loses you enough friends already without somebody taking twice as long on their turn because they have to hunt out the best Lemonade route on a busy map!

It's the minimalism that makes the design good for their stuff. 

Personally, I'm pretty tolerant of bad artwork on stuff - and really, bad is very subjective anyway. I know some people who think Escape From the Dark Castle looks like a total mess, but I love it, probably because of the Steve Jackson's Fighting Fantasy books or something. That Vampire card is just hideous - I'd prefer they went down a simpler route rather than text boxes with one pattern seemingly floating on top of another pattern and huge tracts of dead space because you've only gone one Discipline icon. I half wonder whether they're trying to make it look like VTES to appeal to those people, even though this game is pretty lightweight compared to that.

Escape The Dark Castle and Sectors artwork is absolutely deliberate riffing on the Fighting Fantasy book. There's a highschool metal band aesthetic to it that I love. Bad artwork is fine if the games fine and it doesn't work against it, but good artwork can elevate a game even more for me.

I was looking through a bgg forum about best/worst artwork on games (boxes), and half of the suggestions I couldn't tell without reading whether it was going to be a suggestion for best or worst. Sometimes people were arguing for the same art as best as others were for it being worst. Clearly it is very subjective.

Does anyone fancy taking part in a forum Call of Cthulhu one shot? I'm looking to set up and run a game. It's a ttrpg horror game where you play as investigators trying to stop the end of the world, investigate haunted houses, monster sightings etc set in the 1920s. It's a bit like D&D in that you have characters with skills and you use those skills to solve mysteries, thwart cultists and escape mind-melting and unspeakable horrors.

If anyone fancies giving it a go for a one off session using roll 20 online let me know. 

I made a thread about it here if you want more info: 

• Upvote 1