General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

20 hours ago, Stejay said:

Does anyone know when the Carcassonne 20th Anniversary edition is out in the UK?  I pre-ordered it near the beginning of the year ready for the then May release.  I've seen it listed as this month on Gameslore, but can't find any concrete details.

There was a thread on BGG about a delay to September or beyond 

7 hours ago, scottcr said:

After reading Rab’s review I’ve just gone and bought that massive descent game. Sounds the game. 

Oh - where does Rab do his written reviews?

I’ve bought Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion and like what I’ve seen so far, and I’m interested in where I could go next. S

Gloomhaven vs Descent - which is better? There’s only one way to find out!

6043278F-E8B5-4AAA-9C7C-105057CC9F1E.jpeg.e08cdff6dd9a2a01f763690064c14928.jpeg

No, seriously: which do you think is better?

6 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I’ve bought Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion and like what I’ve seen so far, and I’m interested in where I could go next. S

Gloomhaven vs Descent - which is better? There’s only one way to find out!

6043278F-E8B5-4AAA-9C7C-105057CC9F1E.jpeg.e08cdff6dd9a2a01f763690064c14928.jpeg

No, seriously: which do you think is better?

I've played through all of Gloomahven with my pals - it tooks about a year!  I'm currently playing JOTL solo, occasionally my son might join in.

I've not played Descent but - Gloomhaven isn't so much a dungeon delve as a tactical strategic battle game with an amazing card puzzle going on.  The story in Gloomhaven was utter pish... by the end of it I had no idea what was going on, nor did I care... but the game was *amazing* to play.  Descent LoD at least, looks more like a narrative campaign with proper twists and turns, simpler mechanics and less 'faff' - no need to manage monsters AI.  The original Descent second edition is a proper 1 v many.  Like Imperial Assault or Doom and nothing like Gloomhaven at all.

Descent LoD is a big app game - bringing video games and board games together with amazing looking 3D maps.  I'm a big fan of Mansions of Madness and Journeys in Middel Earth and I think the apps signficantly improve those games.

6 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I've played through all of Gloomahven with my pals - it tooks about a year!  I'm currently playing JOTL solo, occasionally my son might join in.

I've not played Descent but - Gloomhaven isn't so much a dungeon delve as a tactical strategic battle game with an amazing card puzzle going on.  The story in Gloomhaven was utter pish... by the end of it I had no idea what was going on, nor did I care... but the game was *amazing* to play.  Descent LoD at least, looks more like a narrative campaign with proper twists and turns, simpler mechanics and less 'faff' - no need to manage monsters AI.  The original Descent second edition is a proper 1 v many.  Like Imperial Assault or Doom and nothing like Gloomhaven at all.

Descent LoD is a big app game - bringing video games and board games together with amazing looking 3D maps.  I'm a big fan of Mansions of Madness and Journeys in Middel Earth and I think the apps signficantly improve those games.

Ooh, that's a point: how is Journeys in middle Earth? My wife and I are big lord of the rings fans so it might be a good one to get her into some deeper games but the reviews I saw said it was a bit boring and not much fun. How did you find it?

It's good for a play through, I think. I also think the asking price is fair for that because the base campaign is pretty meaty. But I've gone through it a few times now and it really suffers in terms of replayability, and it can be a bit swingy in difficulty.

There's a lot of padding in the app interactions, which goes against the in built threat timer.  That's its biggest flaw for me.  It throws all these tempting things at you then says 'tough shit, pal, you haven't got time LOLOLOLOL!'.  That said, the story's okay, card based combat's fun with abilities, items and weapons to upgrade and the minis are lovely.

Edit - I think it's much better than the app based games of Imperial Assault and Descent 2ed, neither of which I can get into. But it feels like another rung on the ladder towards the latest Descent game which is where they seem to have really nailed the hybrid app thing.

6 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Edit - I think it's much better than the app based games of Imperial Assault and Descent 2ed, neither of which I can get into. But it feels like another rung on the ladder towards the latest Descent game which is where they seem to have really nailed the hybrid app thing.

A lot of people seem to think Descent 3rd ed goes too far into the app!

49 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Ooh, that's a point: how is Journeys in middle Earth? My wife and I are big lord of the rings fans so it might be a good one to get her into some deeper games but the reviews I saw said it was a bit boring and not much fun. How did you find it?

I really enjoy it - the card play and combat is very nicely done... as Nathan said above, the threat counter is a bit obvious... you've not really got the time to explore and you need to pretty quick an efficient.  As a LOTR fan though, I reckon you'd enjoy it.

27 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Board gamers innit.  It had hundreds of 1/10 reviews on BGG before it had even launched because people had decided the above, and didn't like the character designs and art.

incel neck-bears who rant and rave about it using an app and, while not really saying it, are annoyed at more diverse characters...  

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

A lot of people seem to think Descent 3rd ed goes too far into the app!

It all depends really on whether you prefer cardboard and paper.  So far as I can see New Descent resembles Middara more than any other dungeon crawler (term used imprecisely) that I've played  i.e the likes of Sword & Sorcery, Folklore and Gloomhaven.  It's really nothing like Gloomhaven, either concise edition or the full fat original.

In Descent we have 6 characters with their own names, back stories and individual arsenals of weapons and skills.  You can't really customise the characters other than tweaking their weapons - skills seem to be doled out as you reach certain XP levels.  Middara has 4 characters but pleasingly they are not restricted in their skill growth in the same way.  However, Descent deals with all the Fog of War aspects of layouts, inventory management and incremental weapon improvements, so there are no pages and pages of layouts or Enemy AI cards or inventory to track, not to mention boxes of tokens. Middara also has a 500 page story book and a supplemental book of extensions etc; Frosthaven will be massive too.  However, Descent is pretty simple combat wise - choose weapon and roll die; it's quite complex in Middara.  The app also lets you shop, modify equipment, and have minor encounters on the way to the quests.  Most of the content of the big Descent box is allocated to storage of the cardboard features such as stairs, tables, doors etc; with just a few decks of cards, tokens and tiles / underlays.

If you fancy Gloomhaven - go for Jaws of the Lion.  It's a better game.  It's introduction is better.  It's a much more manageable size and theres less faffing about with side quests and goals and stuff.  I hope they release more ones in this format.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

If you fancy Gloomhaven - go for Jaws of the Lion.  It's a better game.  It's introduction is better.  It's a much more manageable size and theres less faffing about with side quests and goals and stuff.  I hope they release more ones in this format.

83D5AFE1-86FE-4519-8280-7FF50942E279.thumb.jpeg.052b6759d1e8457100b4b8215c60d770.jpeg

way ahead of you! 

It's superb, you'll love it.

The next two in the GW 'bookshelf' series of boxed games arrived today. I'm a big fan of the releases so far. They seem to be getting the message this time with all three of the latest ones coming out in the UK, just waiting on the fantasy one that I've forgotten the name of, which was pushed back to October.  Fingers crossed we'll see Blitz Bowl some day.  I'm particularly keen to try out Fireteam which is a pared down Killteam and looks really cool.

2C283047-9B49-4DDA-B3FE-2B56AD3A97AE.thumb.jpg.4cff3aabafe625672e00a0ddd4bfa1e3.jpg

Played a few new games while on holiday;

Exit : Abandoned Cabin - We were a bit unsure on this, not so much on price but throwing a game away after one play through doesn't feel right (i've actually kept the riddles for some simple D&D inspiration). Saying that we really enjoyed it, rifling through the first few sections and then getting stuck on a few later riddles. Only used a couple of help cards though so happy with that and took us a shade under 90 mins in total. Will definitely look at some of the others in the series.

Escape the Dark Castle - One of the best looking games of all time, quick and simple to play as well. We probably didn't bring enough TTRPG to the table to get the most entertainment out of it, and I think it probably benefits from a full house, but really enjoyed the 3 or 4 playthroughs we had. Did I say how great it looks?

Detective : A Modern Crime Board Game - The best way to describe this is as a more structured version of Sherlock Holmes, with cards replacing book entries. We have only played the first scenario so far (and didn't do very well, so will be replaying - with the proper rules as well!). I think if you like the idea of the Sherlock games but struggle a bit with how obtuse they can be at times, as we do, then this would be a great alternative to try. 

One Deck Dungeon - Absolutely smashing little game. The rulebook seems a bit complex for  small box game which had put me off initially but having had a crack at both single and coop it's a really well put together and clever game. The dice mechanics work really well and keep you thinking throughout. For anyone looking for a simple dungeon crawler i'd happily recommend this. Setup takes a few minutes and you're off.

11 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Those games look fun but - and I know it’s subjective - I don’t understand how you can think they’re gorgeous; they’re bloody hideous! 

They look like Fighting Fantasy books - which was the exact look they were going for.

I've got the Big Box Escape The Dark Castle - it's cracking.

21 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Yeah I'm gonna disrespectfully unagree, I think they look fantastic.

What moosey said, basically. They also call to mind the old pen and ink White Dwarf/GW art of the 80s and 90s.

This is you being disrespectful? :lol:

6 hours ago, uglifruit said:

I'm assuming that the pepper mill to the side is for scale, and is one of those Italian-restaurant-in-the-80s ones that is as long as my forearm.

hahaha… it’s about the exact size of a kallax cube. Surprisingly light though as half the box is just a cavity designed to hold all the bits once it’s all built.

extreme heroquest vibes when building it

A82C02DC-6C95-444C-9CC3-CDDC477BF044.jpeg

A38722C9-316A-439A-B72B-3DBB4055722A.jpeg