IGNORED

General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

So at my games group this week I found out I’m all over Facebook for Tabletop Scotland 2022 - looking puzzled playing Arkwright (it’s about 3 hrs into the game)

D41CD9E2-3075-4850-8197-006BC8AC5DB5.thumb.jpeg.d934ddccc9fa58c6ab3040b91efbacdd.jpeg 

Worth a visit though - TTS is a lovely friendly convention. 

On 08/09/2021 at 23:39, scottcr said:

If you like Escape the Dark Castle, get Escape the Dark Sector. It’s even better!

That would have been my preference, we'll pick it up before too long anyway.

On 08/09/2021 at 23:41, Doctor Shark said:

Those games look fun but - and I know it’s subjective - I don’t understand how you can think they’re gorgeous; they’re bloody hideous! 

As others have said it evokes much older games, but regardless of that the art style is so specific, and well suited to the game. The two work in perfect harmony.

I think I still prefer Dark Castle over Dark Sector. The remote combat (shooting and flanking) seems more of a faff, and kinda removes the immediacy in Dark Castle’s combat. Which seems to defeat the object, when pulse rifles or whatever are meant to be exciting. 

On 08/09/2021 at 16:35, Nathan Wind said:

It's superb, you'll love it.

The next two in the GW 'bookshelf' series of boxed games arrived today. I'm a big fan of the releases so far. They seem to be getting the message this time with all three of the latest ones coming out in the UK, just waiting on the fantasy one that I've forgotten the name of, which was pushed back to October.  Fingers crossed we'll see Blitz Bowl some day.  I'm particularly keen to try out Fireteam which is a pared down Killteam and looks really cool.

2C283047-9B49-4DDA-B3FE-2B56AD3A97AE.thumb.jpg.4cff3aabafe625672e00a0ddd4bfa1e3.jpg

Might be a bit soon to ask, but would love to know what you think of these (been eyeing up Doomsday Countdown as it's solo-able).

30 minutes ago, scottcr said:

unfortunately I’m away for the weekend so the best I’ve got is me sitting t my caravan reading the rules 

A9AD6C7F-2989-45EE-B259-4CEA48C2BF65.jpeg.2b1a88907ca2457d4237429fc003d652.jpeg

I remember doing the same when I’d just got into D&D and went to centre parcs, I brought the players manual with me to read :D

I wasn't convinced by the artwork on the tiles and the scenery in the videos I watched, but you really can't see the detail.  They just look like lumps of brown and grey on youtube. Having made them up, in the flesh (card), I have to say they look great.

On 09/09/2021 at 12:42, Nathan Wind said:

Yeah I'm gonna disrespectfully unagree, I think they look fantastic.

What moosey said, basically. They also call to mind the old pen and ink White Dwarf/GW art of the 80s and 90s.

I only have a passing knowledge of Dark Castle/Dark Sector but what I have seen of the art reminds me of this as well, and in particular Russ Nicholson’s work for White Dwarf and D&D

https://russnicholson.blogspot.com/search/label/White Dwarf

Ooo, lots of cool stuff from FFG announced at Gen-Con if you're into any of their lines.

- first expansion teased for the new Descent

- new Arkham Horror LCG standalone plus all the old content getting re-released in the new boxed format 

(I'm going to be dull enough to spend £50 a cycle just for a box to store stuff in aren't I? 🤑)

- LOTR card game's getting a refresh 

(oh God no, this'll temp me to try the game - my wallet!!! 🤑🤑)

- Sinister Six is the next big box for Marvel Champions

(I don't care the price, give it to meeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! 🤑🤑🤑)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/9/15/in-flight-2021/

Im sure there will loads of expansions and/ or dlc for Descent.  The base game is pretty lengthy as is, with each quest taking me around 90 minutes running 3 characters, and at least (number of)

Spoiler

Quests available.  This is probably the first TTG I'll be able to say with some accuracy how long has been spent.

37 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Im sure there will loads of expansions and/ or dlc for Descent.  The base game is pretty lengthy as is, with each quest taking me around 90 minutes running 3 characters, and at least (number of)

Reveal hidden contents

Quests available.  This is probably the first TTG I'll be able to say with some accuracy how long has been spent.

only 2 quests in and my son and I *love* it.  It's so full of surprises and the map reveal just makes it all the more interesting and tactile.

quest 2 spoiler

Spoiler

when the floor fell away into a pit trap!!!

The crafting is really well done as well.  Managing that without an app would be just a mountain of tokens and busy work - the app just handles it all.  Sure, it'd be nice to see a pool of tons of different types of materials, but being able to improve your weapons, add stuff to them without having to bother with extra cards to worry about and extra dice to roll as a result - it's just GOOD.

It's the best app driven game I've played so far and genuinely feels like a great combo of video game and board game.  

It's brilliant isn't it? As you say, a complete hybrid.  The sort of thing you mention in the spoiler occurs quite often in Middara, but it's a helluva lot more cumbersome to implement.

Although you never really seem to cut loose and learn new skills, you can at least begin to customise your characters a little as you get further into the game, and try to build some synergies around specific card types.  Also, the dialogue choices you make along the way have an impact, at least moderately.  

My only criticism is that it is a little too easy, but that makes it ideal for family groups. The early scenario I failed in the first runthrough (Kehli's) happened simply because I missed one key line of text, and second time around it wasn't a problem.

Sometimes the app has glitched on me and it has a few errors, but otherwise the game is really enjoyable.

Edit.  I think there are 4 difficulty settings and I'm on normal, so maybe I should try hard next time around, just to have to work the cards more efficiently.

35 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

It's brilliant isn't it? As you say, a complete hybrid.  The sort of thing you mention in the spoiler occurs quite often in Middara, but it's a helluva lot more cumbersome to implement.

Although you never really seem to cut loose and learn new skills, you can at least begin to customise your characters a little as you get further into the game, and try to build some synergies around specific card types.  Also, the dialogue choices you make along the way have an impact, at least moderately.  

My only criticism is that it is a little too easy, but that makes it ideal for family groups. The early scenario I failed in the first runthrough (Kehli's) happened simply because I missed one key line of text, and after that it wasn't a problem.

Sometimes the app has glitched on me and it has a few errors, but otherwise the game is really enjoyable.

Edit.  I think there are 4 difficulty settings and I'm on normal, so maybe I should try hard next time around, just to have to work the cards more efficiently.

It's definitely relatively light and easy - and in the 2 scenarios so far, only one character has ended up with 'major wounds'.  On the flip side of that though, is my son really enjoys it - to the point where he'd rather play it with me than a videogame himself, and that's got to be worth it.  

I'm tempted to start up my own campaign on hard to see how difficult it gets.

Really looking forward to how this campaign pans out and what they bring out for this in the future - it looks as though FFG are going to do Terrinoth some justice.  As an aside, the artwork is *superb*.  Great well designed and diverse characters.  I want to see some graphic novels with it! 

1 hour ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

My only criticism is that it is a little too easy, but that makes it ideal for family groups. The early scenario I failed in the first runthrough (Kehli's) happened simply because I missed one key line of text, and second time around it wasn't a problem.

I really quite fancy playing Middara but stuff like this just gives me The Fear.  It looks like a mountain of stuff and busy work - and a pain to set up and tear down... which is a shame.  

image.png.0c143e1d358ecd1e522e3aea850b8042.png

Exactly right.   The game is amazing - assuming you like JRPGs, of which this is a pretty pitch perfect cardboard analogue. There is a wonderful combat system, sophisticated enemy AI akin to  that in S&S, gorgeous tiles which include elevation, water currents etc, the ability to develop your characters in diverse ways, and a story pretty typical of the genre, BUT it has

A monster load of components 

Quite a few crunchy rules

A 500 page storybook with reams of text to be read or listened to, including immediately after boss battles, which I'm fine with because I can put it aside and read it when it suits me, but which may be difficult to manage in a group.

I've played a fair chunk and just reached equipment tier 3 (of 4) - basically 95% of loot is coin which you spend inbetween scenarios to gradually upgrade all your equipment, just like you do with Final Fantasy - so it's quite daunting to contemplate picking it up again after a lengthy break, but I will at some point.

And this is just Act 1!

The set up / tear down isn't too bad if you can keep the in-play materials out of the box on a side table or something in-between sessions.  I think I made the card holders for this game and they also help.  I cannibalise other boxes for the tokens, the Kilforth "pimping " ones are good, even if that means not putting them back in the main box.  There are probably even more tokens in S&S.

That number of quests in Descent spoilered above turns out to be understated by 1.  Just the final quest to do now.  The last couple of quests, bringing to a conclusion the plot lines of Syrus and Vaerix have been quite a bit more challenging, but good.

I would expect paid dlc to come along before any boxed expansions.

Getting quite strong Dragon Age Origins vibes from this at times.

And finished.  Around 37 hours to complete, running teams of 3 (albeit with the benefit of re-doing some of the early quests).  "This is only the beginning" remarks Brynn at the end, how right she is.  I think the logical next step would be for character specific DLC, maybe 2 or 3 quests for each so you can prioritise your favourites, before any physical material need be added.  4 of the 6 characters were great to play, Kehli seems very undercooked* and Brynn is simply dull, dull, dull.

All in all, really good game despite the app glitching for me in places, and it might be worth a replay on higher difficulty and seeing what differences arise from rebalanced traits and taking alternative decisions near the end.¥

*impression also borne out by having lower trait combined trait points than all the others.

¥ but not for a good while yet!