IGNORED

General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

My son had a pal up at the weekend - and rather than sit on the xbox or switch as they usually do, he wanted to show him Descent - so they started a new campaing and I helped them get going then left them to finish the first mission.  

It's a shame it's so expensive with an enormous box - could be an absolute breakthrough game for kids, this generation's Heroquest, if it were more 'mainstream'.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the big Waddingtons board games were still pretty expensive back in the day - I’d get one for Xmas in the 80s, like Frankenstein, or Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs (and eventually Heroquest). I don’t know how comparable the prices would be inflation-wise to now, though £120 still definitely raises an eyebrow. 

On 03/10/2021 at 15:12, Herbalizer said:

Just got my arse handed to me by the opening scenario of the Arkham Horror LCG.  Great fun though, its all about learning the mechanics at the moment.  Once I get comfortable with them I'm sure things will go a (bit) better.

I've just started playing as well. Got that annoying card that makes the investigation checks +2 which meant finding clues took an extreme bit of luck. Good fun though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit naughty but I've been to a locals twice this week to trade yugioh cards.
I told myself I wasn't going to mix socially until I was back in the office but I just needed to get out the flat as work was shit this week.
I'll be honest getting to be around people again was nice and with all the card bulk and lots I've been buying the past year I ended up doing pretty decent with trades, for once in my life I had leverage.

My brain tells me that I shouldn't be trying to socially integate while covid numbers are rising but the whole thing was a relief. I just wish people wore masks, how am I the only person out of 40 wearing one?

Also my birthday is coming up so I've said screw it. I updated my wants list for my Fire Emblem TCG collection and it's very quickly looking like I am going to be spending a significant amount of money filling a significant number of gaps in my collection. Fun times ahead.

• 4 weeks later...

With this coming to retail and the app to play it solo, I'm resigned that I'm going to buy it. Between this and Star Wars / Marvel / Transformers figures Hasbro have complete command of my wallet.

In other news, Marvel Zombicide's been officially revealed as CMON's 50th Zombicide   Kickstarter.  Goes live 22nd of this month.

I refuse to find out any more as right now it means giving clicks to BoardGameCo and Quakerlope and I can't bear either of them because of their political leanings.

2 hours ago, Spatial said:

I refuse to find out any more as right now it means giving clicks to BoardGameCo and Quakerlope and I can't bear either of them because of their political leanings.

Oh. I've watched Quackerlope on occasion. What is it that's put you off them? 

8 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

Oh. I've watched Quackerlope on occasion. What is it that's put you off them? 

Jesse is a ardent Tea Party member and one of his main lines of work is producing video content for the party (the kind of doublespeak content designed to mask the Tea Party's lunatic and fringe leanings).

But the tipping point for me was he'd made a rambling monologue video a while back on his channel about peace and harmony in the board game space, literally a "why can't we all just get along guys?" lecture to the viewer like they were the ones doing something wrong. All the while it's not just his political leaning but his actively paid job to support a party of division. I just can't abide that level of hypocrisy.

That's notwithstanding he's a Kickstarter shill for every single company that throws freebies his way - he's not unique there, it just adds to my view on him.

My issue with Alex from BoardgameCo is different, even though he associates heavily with Quakerlope so I can't imagine he's ideologically much different. But in my view he's manipulating the space for profit and seems to have stumbled into the lucrative shtick of disguising this as content. He's quite subtle (and actually quite clever) in the ways he promotes it in his videos, but his apparent `love` for boardgames has to be seen against the backdrop of his business is buying and re-selling Kickstarters and board games. Which might be fine, but there's a load of complaints about the way he's behaved (bad responses to customers, providing incomplete games and then telling people to go away when they complain, low-balling offers to buy stuff knowing it's worth a lot more etc).

It's the reasons why I've got both their channels on block.

On 05/09/2021 at 17:56, Stejay said:

Does anyone know when the Carcassonne 20th Anniversary edition is out in the UK?  I pre-ordered it near the beginning of the year ready for the then May release.  I've seen it listed as this month on Gameslore, but can't find any concrete details.

And it finally turned up this morning.  I've hidden my old edition and multiple expansions in the loft and told her we don't have it anymore so that she doesn't ask why I've bought nothing much more than a tarted up version of something we already own!  It's shiny and new though, some people just don't understand.

2 hours ago, therearerules said:

It's not shrink wrapped, instead small stickers keep the lids on. But the box is thin and tears.

That’s seems a bit budget. 

Mine has shipped so should be midweek. I’ll snip the stickers holding lids on. 

Has anyone got any recommendations for a ttrpg suitable for kids? Ages 8 and 5 (ish, i'm a terrible friend), although gaming tends to be targeted towards the younger one in terms of themes, they are smart.

I have Goblin Quest, and could see how that could work, but i'm thinking of something maybe a touch easier to 'DM' for their parents. I've seen Hero Kids recommended online but wondering if anyone here has any experience?

I'm playing Twilight Imperium (4E) - 4 player in a couple of weeks - my first time...any tips? The other guys I'm playing with have played at least once before so after a leg up! 

Suffice to say I'm cramming up on rules videos, but any general gameplay tips or factions etc? :)

9 hours ago, phresh said:

Has anyone got any recommendations for a ttrpg suitable for kids? Ages 8 and 5 (ish, i'm a terrible friend), although gaming tends to be targeted towards the younger one in terms of themes, they are smart.

I have Goblin Quest, and could see how that could work, but i'm thinking of something maybe a touch easier to 'DM' for their parents. I've seen Hero Kids recommended online but wondering if anyone here has any experience?

No way anything complicated is going to work with a 5 year old. You’re dealing with like a 30 minute attention span here. Maybe the space marine adventures game? As that’s relatively easy and quick. 

Heroquest would be too much. 

For 8 and 5 I think D&D Adventure Begins could work. https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products-board-card-games/dd-adventure-begins

My youngest is now 7 but has loved playing it since he was 6.  They will need help with the set up and may not be able to read enough to take a turn as a DM (although my son gives it a good go - which is helping with his reading) but they will love the dice rolling and free form problem solving. 

1 hour ago, And said:

No way anything complicated is going to work with a 5 year old. You’re dealing with like a 30 minute attention span here.

Yep, agreed, not aiming for anything too complicated. I did think about Heroquest but the D&D adventure game @Sardan mentioned looks like a reasonable half way house (albeit for the older one, not the younger, the formers birthday is in April so might save it for then!).

I'd expect their parents to be DM-ing the kids, to start with at least, so that helps somewhat.

1 hour ago, phresh said:

I'd expect their parents to be DM-ing the kids, to start with at least, so that helps somewhat.

The rules suggest four players who take turns DMing. I have done all the DMing when we started although my youngest likes rolling for the monsters! :lol:

It really isn’t D&D or D&D light but a totally different game dressed up in D&D clothing. It’s still decent though.