IGNORED

General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

I guess this is the right thread for this - my kids love playing games, but haven't got past Game of Life or Operation. Me and the missus want to get them playing something we might enjoy as well, since they won't play unless we do. Any pointers on what we could get? We've been looking at Catan and Carcassonne...

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

Didn't realise there was a Heroquest re-release. Is it easy to get hold of? I'm about to bung my OG one on eBay, I'm guessing it's going to be worth less now?

It's up for pre-order now from quite a few places so supply doesn't seem limited. The main game and first two expansions (Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord) are all due the start of January.

57 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I guess this is the right thread for this - my kids love playing games, but haven't got past Game of Life or Operation. Me and the missus want to get them playing something we might enjoy as well, since they won't play unless we do. Any pointers on what we could get? We've been looking at Catan and Carcassonne...

I'd say Carcassonne is a really good one to start with. I'd play without using the farmers rule though, as that requires a lot more planning and is less immediately obvious to the beginner.

2 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Didn't realise there was a Heroquest re-release. Is it easy to get hold of? I'm about to bung my OG one on eBay, I'm guessing it's going to be worth less now?

I’m told it’s on Amazon. Expansions aren’t out until next year at retail. 

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I don’t get Carcassonne at all. 

Catan is good but a bit abstract for kids. 

We like Labyrinth, Tsuro, Love Letter and Ticket to Ride as family games. 

4 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Consulting my records, in 2021 my two (6 and 9) have enjoyed: Jaipur (2p), Splendor, Castle Panic, Deep Sea Adventure, Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters (this is good for a children's game, but I wouldn't want to play it with just adults), ICECOOL (dexterity), Labyrinth, Magic Maze (timed), Space Base, Carcassonne, Dream Home (not quite as kiddy as it looks), Echidna Shuffle (surprisingly good), Gizmos, Santorini, Rhino Hero, Fearsome Floors, 5-Minute Marvel (timed).  They won't necessarily have 100% mastered the strategy, but with the more complex ones you can typically have fun on various levels, we often relax time limits, and none of them is that obviously cut-throat (may not be an issue for you, but it is for us!).

If I had to pick 5 to take on holiday right now I'd go for the first 5 in the list.

6 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Yeah, this was one I looked at as well, but wondered if it was just my Transport tycoon nerdity showing.

How long does a game of Ticket to Ride last? Meant to say that we need stuff that's under an hour, really.

Maybe an hour? My 13 year old daughter loves it and has done since she was about 11. We just have the US version (original). I have played Europe and it has some extra rules that make it a bit complicated.

On 23/11/2021 at 11:45, ScouserInExile said:

Some good suggestions already, I’d certainly go with the original Ticket To Ride, but another idea, and something a little different is Forbidden Island. It’s a co-op game where you all work together to grab treasures and escape from a sinking island by helicopter. The kids can help with planning, and you either all lose or all win as a group so there is no singled out loser getting upset or anything. It’s only about £15 too.

Haba have released some good family games to complement their range of games for very small children. Karuba is excellent, Honga is fun with some nice bright artwork and both are quite quick to play. Other quick family games that have worked well for us over the years are Cartagena and Pickomino.

Cartagena

Honga

Karuba

Pickomino

@Stejay's idea of Forbidden Island is a great idea. 

Was just about to suggest Forbidden Island, too. The tension as the waters rise and you all try and figure out what’s best is great. 

The artwork on all the tiles is gorgeous and each zone has a nicely evocative name. 

We played it with grandma once, who only realised halfway through it was co-op (We did think she wasn’t being very grandmotherly about helping my kids), and then when she did, she just said “can I just go to the helicopter and wait for you all there?”

Cheers grandma. 

I received a delivery earlier. A cardboard envelope containing the metal coins and realistic resource tokens for Scythe. Together they are heavy AF!

Would love to rip them open, but they’re for Christmas. The neoprene mat should be here next week.

I don’t even have the game yet. There’s no rush considering I have absolutely no one to play with, and no means of finding anyone thanks to this pandemic. I just wanted the bits in case they went OOP along with absolutely everything else I’m remotely interested in lately.

• 3 weeks later...

What happens with the things we return to Amazon?

I received my final pressie, Scythe, however there are some dings and indentations on the back of the box which have not happened because of the shipping. I'm pretty fussy with this kind of stuff as it is, so I decided to order another one in. That just arrived and the same again, but this time to the front of the box.

I'm thinking of removing the shrink wrap on both and combining the unblemished boxes, then returning the bashed lids as one box. Ultimately it's just cardboard and plastic, but I feel bad for being such a stickler over these things, with a perfectly fine game being chucked in the recycling or whatever. I decided to put of with a bit of a crummy box for Dune last Christmas (printing defects plus dings and scrapes), and it pisses me off every time I look at it.

I should probably just fucking learn to support my local board game shops instead, even if it means having to wait a couple of weeks and paying an extra €10 or so...

• 3 weeks later...

The revised core apparently contains boons and burdens and people are saying that will make it more of a campaign between scenarios (I understand this is similar to what the saga boxes do?)

What I can't work out is, in a cycle like the Mirkwood packs, is there already an over arching narrative and story between them or is it just a set of themed stories? Are the boons and burdens just something which make it feel all tied together, where actions from one scenario in a deluxe and cycle have consequence later on?

I'm trying to work out if it's worth picking up the Mirkwood cycle now at the same time as the revised core, or just waiting to see if FFG have some sort of grander campaign arc for tying whole cycles together.

It hasn't helped they're not saying much about what their plans entail, other than loosely saying they'll follow the new Arkham Horror style of releases.

I can't speak for later cycles, but in the first few, there's not a whole lot tying the individual packs together. In typical FFG style, each cycle introduces new themes and mechanics, but each scenario is an individual challenge.

The "campaign mode" was introduced with the "saga" expansions, which includes Boons and Burdens, but those cards were only designed to be used in campaign play. It's possible that they've expanded the scope of the campaign mode with the revised set, to allow players to make their own campaigns?

That doesn't really answer your question, sorry. I can't really guess what their plans are for the adventure packs. I'd assume they're going to keep them the same, otherwise there's a lot of work ahead of them. I'd recommend a pack or two, certainly, as there's only three scenarios in the box.

That's cool, thank you. They've been really unclear where they're going with it - they're not even saying what cycles will be repackaged, outside of saying not all of them will.

I think I'm struggling with getting my head around it being more like Marvel Champions' narrative (or rather lack of) compared to something like Arkham Horror, simply because the LOTR theme would lend itself towards a richer plot line / narrative based campaign.  In my mind the revised core seemed like the perfect time for them to also repackage cycle Mirkwood in one box, add in boons and burdens to string it all together more in line with expectations of 'newer' LCG's.

Perhaps they will but I can't help but think they're being hesitant to announce anything as the game just received a large reprint of most cycles and sagas.

I think for now I'll wait and just grab the revised core and the new Dark of Mirkwood scenario pack (with perhaps some of the other stand alones if I really get into it).

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

@scottcrwas big on LOTR once upon a time but I don't know if he fell off it.

I don't own LOTR but my friend owns the whole lot (so far).  It's great - really really good game.  

The cycles are little campaigns.  There's no connection between them but the cycles tended to follow the general stories through the books.  

From what I know of how they've dealt with Arkham, they'll just make buying older cycles easier - rather than buying lots of individual packs - everything you need will come in one box.  

This is a *much* better way to do LCGs.  I gave up on collecting Arkham because it all became too much, I couldn't keep up with the thing - and ended up with piles of unopened packs of cards.

Another thing I'd recommend is, don't chase cards for completion unless you're a LOTR fan collector type (like my pal is).  You're much better just getting the revised core (which has everything you need, you no longer need to core boxes to be able to build decent decks to start with) and then buy the full cycle packs when you want to play that scenario/campaign.... that box will likely come with everything you need to build a good deck that works well for that set of adventures.  Then punt the set and get a new one.

I'm thinkng of getting back into Arkham doing this.  

38 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I'm thinkng of getting back into Arkham doing this.  

If you've not see they changed the releases now to be "all in ones" - one for investigators, one for the cycle - rather than the mythos pack approach.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-the-card-game/products/arkham-horror-card-game-edge-earth-campaign-expansion

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-the-card-game/products/arkham-horror-card-game-edge-earth-investigator-expansion/

Which is a lot more attachtive.