IGNORED

General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I could've swore you were deep into it and buying every expansion. Huh. Anyway, cheers for replying, dude :D

nah - that was Arkham.  I was baws deep in that... but had to get out.  Sold it all for a decent price tbh.

9 minutes ago, Hexx said:

If you've not see they changed the releases now to be "all in ones" - one for investigators, one for the cycle - rather than the mythos pack approach.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-the-card-game/products/arkham-horror-card-game-edge-earth-campaign-expansion

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-the-card-game/products/arkham-horror-card-game-edge-earth-investigator-expansion/

Which is a lot more attachtive.

Yeah, I'm much more likely to do this - maybe a core and the investigators.  Play the campaign and then punt it when done.  Chasing mythos, especially when sometimes they were hard to get, became a pain - you pretty much had no option but to buy them as soon as they came out, even though you were no where near ready to play.  Also, with each mythos pack there were player cards too - this is a much much better approach.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

The cycles are little campaigns.  There's no connection between them but the cycles tended to follow the general stories through the books.  

Thanks - I think I'm going to grab the revised core and then the Saga boxes to start, since it seems those aren't being changed or revised.

That'll give additional content to play and deck build options until FFG can sort out whatever it is they're doing with the revised cycles. I've become more reluctant to grab the first two cycles right now if there's going to be an announcement they're being reboxed with additional boons and burdens / split into campaign and characters etc.

• 2 months later...

I'm on the lookout for 3 player games to play with the other half and her mother when she's up here for Easter.

Over Christmas we played a few games that seemed to go down well.

- Bandido - Fairly fun but probably a bit too on the simple side.

- Love Letter - I think everyone enjoyed this one.

- Forbidden Island - The other halfs mum liked this but at the same time I think most of it went right over her head so she had no idea what was going on, so probably as complex as we'd want to go. :lol:

I've got Pandemic ready to play and Fluxx, although not sure if we'll bother with that one while she's here. Co op is probably preferred or competitive if it's the sort of game where there is some luck involved. Looking at Ticket To Ride Nordic and maybe something like Tranquility. I like the look of Carcassonne but imagine that doesn't really fit in with what I'm after?

Any other good games that fit the brief to recommend?

Ticket to ride nordic - is 3 players but is pretty brutal (getting in each others way) on a small map. Maybe the smaller ticket to rides (London /new york /Amsterdam) would be worth investigating. 

One of my favourite simple co-op games is now "Horrified" it has universal monsters theme to it but simple rules/highly adjustable difficultly/complexity. 

I really like the press your luck game "Mythe" for a simple game that plays well with 3. Use the optional rule (in the rule book) that you can only give away cards played - and it gives it some information/bluffing. 

Forbidden Island is basically My First Pandemic, so if that is slightly too much for her, I’d discount Pandemic itself.

Great suggestions of the mini TTR games and Horrified by @shynra.  I’m assuming she’s familiar with Monopoly, so I’d maybe add Monopoly Deal as something simple, but also an actually good Monopoly game that is really cheap too.

Co-op wise, maybe Chronicles of Crime? Mechanically simple, scanning QR cards with a smart phone, but should prove enjoyable for her trying to solve the mysteries together, and you could assign her the role of note taker maybe.

Horrified is superb.

Sagrada is very simple to understand and extremely good fun. Dice drafting with some straightforward strategy in the card based scoring patterns you’re aiming for. You can choose simple patterns for lower difficulty. Tot up scores for the win.

Another vote for the mini TTR games. Something like the first Azul game or Barenpark might also suit for some tile placement action. Both are pretty simple.

Thanks all. I think I've whittled it down to TTR London, Horrified and potentially Wingspan as the theme and artwork should make that a winner regardless of how the game goes down.

15 minutes ago, Spatial said:

Those are the exact same minis as the crowdfunded Fields of Eternia game aren't they? Oh boy. :lol:

The He-Man is different but the others appear to be the same - they are on a sprue rather than pre assembled though. It does seem a bit odd. It's out this month! 

On 07/04/2022 at 12:18, spork said:

... and potentially Wingspan as the theme and artwork should make that a winner regardless of how the game goes down.

Have only played one game of this with just the two of us but so far it seems really good. After just the one game I've already ordered the European bird expansion and a new box insert to organise it all better :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I might be able to pick up Tell-A-Tale Fairytale Edition for a reasonable price, please?

my mother in law borrowed it from the school she works in and my daughter loves it, but seems the only available copies will cost £15 to post from abroad, plus the price of the actual board game.

sad thing is it’s probably in about 300 charity shops across the nation. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/05/2022 at 17:33, disperse and recoagulate said:

Does anyone know where I might be able to pick up Tell-A-Tale Fairytale Edition for a reasonable price, please?

my mother in law borrowed it from the school she works in and my daughter loves it, but seems the only available copies will cost £15 to post from abroad, plus the price of the actual board game.

sad thing is it’s probably in about 300 charity shops across the nation. :lol:

I found a farmyard one and a pirate one from the same series but it does seem as though the fairy tale one is hard to get in the UK. Might she go for one of the other varieties while you keep looking?

1 hour ago, jonnyalpha said:

I found a farmyard one and a pirate one from the same series but it does seem as though the fairy tale one is hard to get in the UK. Might she go for one of the other varieties while you keep looking?

Hello! I managed to get the pirate one off eBay for £5 all in. I think my dad is looking into getting the farm one for at my parents house. :)

5 hours ago, StephenM said:

Has anyone else played Cantaloop? A single (mainly) player game book thing - basically a point and click adventure where you wander about, collect items, use the, etc. 

Only got it today but played the whole thing -  very pleased with it!

Yeah, I played the first book and was pretty impressed with how clever it is. Also, so many terrible puns and jokes, exactly what was needed. 

8 hours ago, StephenM said:

Has anyone else played Cantaloop? A single (mainly) player game book thing - basically a point and click adventure where you wander about, collect items, use the, etc. 

Only got it today but played the whole thing -  very pleased with it!

This has been on my to-buy list for ages.  I really must get around to it.  I assume it one and done though, but it could be passed on, nothing destroyed legacy game style?

3 hours ago, michael said:

Yeah, I played the first book and was pretty impressed with how clever it is. Also, so many terrible puns and jokes, exactly what was needed. 

Yeah it genuinely felt like the old point and click tone, which I was pleasantly surprised about! I noticed book 2 is also out so will pick that up at some point. 

40 minutes ago, Stejay said:

This has been on my to-buy list for ages.  I really must get around to it.  I assume it one and done though, but it could be passed on, nothing destroyed legacy game style?

There’s essentially a checklist thing you need to tick off and refer back to - I just did it in pencil so I can erase it. You could also just jot it down on a piece of paper. 

Other than that, all resets nicely. 

1 hour ago, StephenM said:

Yeah it genuinely felt like the old point and click tone, which I was pleasantly surprised about! I noticed book 2 is also out so will pick that up at some point. 

Yeah, when I became aware of it and really wanted it, annoyingly only book 2 was available.  Happy to hear the first one is fully available again now.  IIRC, there is a free demo / prologue to download too on the publishers website.

EDIT: Cantaloop - Book 0: The Prequel

1 hour ago, StephenM said:

There’s essentially a checklist thing you need to tick off and refer back to - I just did it in pencil so I can erase it. You could also just jot it down on a piece of paper. 

Other than that, all resets nicely. 

So I can pass it on to my daughter then, excellent.

9 hours ago, Stejay said:

@michael First of all, congrats on the magazine coverage.  Secondly, day one!  Thirdly, are you planning further booster packs after the two mentioned in the campaign?

That will have to remain a secret until a certain article pops up on Polygon tomorrow (hopefully!), but I can at least say that these aren't going to be the only bonus content for the campaign.