rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

Well knock me down with a feather! Pre-ordered it, mainly for the nice new minis which I'll probably dig up the enthusiasm to actually paint, seeing as this is my favourite game.

Oooh, well postage was free on the GW site, thankfully!

Maybe that's why the game is £60 :blink:

Vid for anyone that is interested.

May as well post the text that went with that photo

Space Hulk is Back!

Print

Email to a Friend

Yes, Space Hulk is back.

2009 is the 20th anniversary of this loved Games Workshop board game and the Studio thought it would be cool to do a new version. They also thought it would be cool to do it as a stealth project and not tell anyone about it...

...so the first time that Rob and I got to look at the finished game was this morning, in the Studio. And it's a monster.

The sheer quantity of stuff is amazing - the box weighs almost 4kg. But it's the quality of the miniatures that completely blew us away.The game includes 35 miniatures - all completely new sculpts for Space Hulk. For the Blood Angels there are 9 Terminators equipped with power fists, storm bolters, lightning claws, a chain fist, a heavy flamer, an assault cannon, 2 Sergeants and a Librarian. Opposing them are 22 Genestealers. And a Broodlord.

Oh, and the Space Hulk itself is massive. We counted 10 rooms, 24 corridors, 8 T-Junctions, 6 corners, 8 end sections, 9 crossroads (including an offset one) and 20 doors (all with detailed plastic stands). All the floor sections are debossed and varnished on very dense card as are all the counters.

Adam Troke has written a introductory article on Space Hulk: First Contact that contains more details and a full contents list.

This is a one-off, limited edition product, with a single print run. If you have any interest in owning your own Space Hulk, I strongly suggest you advance order a copy today. Do not wait, because when they're gone, they're gone (although one of the Studio team did hint at a doing 50th anniversary edition in 2039). And DO NOT put this on your wish list, forget about it and expect to get one under the tree at Christmas, because even Santa has his limits.

We're very excited because we have been promised a set of our own to unbox and play with tomorrow, so we'll photograph it and share it with you then. Meanwhile here's a picture of the box on the scales in our Post Room. Good job we're offering free shipping, eh?

m410472a_xx010699001_SHNoctis_445x319.jpgspace_hulk_term_old.jpg

As you can see the quality of the minis has improved somewhat over the original!!

And no I did NOT paint that second Terminator! :blink:

Space Hulk: First Contact

A low down on the new game with loads & loads of piccies and info.

Drools.

You cock. You absolute cock.

I cannot afford this.

I cannot afford this.

No!

I'm going to need to get one of my friends to hide my debit card from me for a while, aren't I? >_<

About an hour ago I was thinking "Can I really afford to spend £60 on this..."

After seeing the last page of posts in here, I'm thinking that I'd now pay double that. HYPED HYPED.

You cock. You absolute cock.

I cannot afford this.

I cannot afford this.

No!

I'm going to need to get one of my friends to hide my debit card from me for a while, aren't I? >_<

Gaze upon it's loveliness

m330277a_P2Mb1.jpg

:blink:

This whole limited print run, "get it now" thing is very cunty of GW. There are thousands of fans wanting this, they know this, that's why they've remade the damn thing. But then to say fuck-you it's limited print run is just nasty.

I don't understand why? If it keeps selling, then keep making em and make more money? Unless they are making a loss on them?

Maybe it's just a ploy and they'll print more beyond the initial run.

Why would they keep selling a game that requires no additional investment after the original purchase?

:blink:

Silly me, I forgot the GW business model.

...and that's precisely why I'm buying it. Haven't really had anything to do with GW-branded products for the longest time, simply because I can't justify the literal moneysink the hobby demands. I get my fix now from the novels, the Dawn of War games, the self-contained, relatively inexpensive products that I know are going to deliver a complete experience without requiring another fifty quid here and there to keep up. This utterly gorgeous rendition of Space Hulk, despite a fairly hefty initial outlay, falls well into that category.

God, I might even get back into painting the minis that come with it. Crazy days.

I would imagine that they have a very precise idea of how many they can reasonably sell and the "limited" number will cover very nearly all of them. I note that nowhere is there any solid indication of how many units they're actually going to produce (or, at this stage /have/ produced) it's going to have to be a pretty big number to offset a load of bespoke tooling.

A theory posited on one of the 40k forums I read is that, in part at least, the limited nature might be a way of appeasing high-up management and shareholders who don't want anything cannibalising 40k, WFB and LOTR long-term.

Another would be that the economics only make sense on cheaper, limited-run tooling that will wear faster than normal tools and so there's a limit to the number they can make.

It is clear that they've put a lot of effort into this. this could have been done in a very cheap-and-nasty way to preserve the trademark (which is what I think is one of the main drivers behind this is) such as just reprinting 2nd edition, but they've pushed the boat out.

Am I the only one that thinks the new Genestealers look daft?

m330281a_P2Mb3XL.jpg

Why are they all clambering over shit? Yeah I know that's what they do but <shakes head> it's looks bloody stupid.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Custom...81a_P2Mb3XL.jpg

Why are they all clambering over shit? Yeah I know that's what they do but <shakes head> it's looks bloody stupid.

I think they look rather good. :D

The price is utterly ridiculous though, so I'll be giving this a miss but I'm a sucker, so pre-order pre-ordered! Has anyone pre-ordered from the GW website before? If they get them to you on release date, I'll get it delivered to my door. :P

EDIT: Actually, no way is that getting courier delivered on a Saturday. Store pickup and obligatory hard-sell attempts it is!

I thought they looked a bit daft when I saw those models, but they seem to be the exceptions: most of the others seem to be doing the more sensible 'running along the floor' poses.

Options have presented themselves. I will find out tomorrow if they pan out...

Either way, it looks like Arkham Asylum is going to have to wait :angry:

m330281a_P2Mb3XL.jpg

Are you out of your mind? The new dynamic poses are amazing. Look at that one crawling on a wall! Amazing.

Are you out of your mind? The new dynamic poses are amazing. Look at that one crawling on a wall! Amazing.

I'm trying to picture how they'll look on the board mid-game, they're a bit too dynamic for me.

Yeah I know.... never happy.

Games Workshop is built on OTT. The narrative are ridiculously excessive, to say the least.

Maybe but the pile of skulls is OTT.

You're talking about a GW game, here.

Ah, what Yix said.

Yeah, but Space Hulk is about as moody and non-OTT as GW gets (just as it eschews the standard marketing strategy of GW). It seems a shame to spoil that with the action-shot genestealers on piles of skulls.

It's a minor point, though; the set is still glorious(ly expensive) :rolleyes:

Edit: @ Yix and smac

I don't have the money. I don't have the space. My wife will kill me. On the other hand I have no will power either.....pre-ordered. It looks amazing and it's out soon isn't it, I've booked a store pick-up for mine. :rolleyes: