Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid

choduk

• 1 month later...

So the Album has a title now and it's been produced by Craig, who is also the keyboard player in the band. And I've heard two of the songs off it now - "The Bones of You" as mentioned above. And "Grounds for Divorce". The title "The Seldom Seen Kid" and the the final track "Friends Of Ours" are in reference to and in dedication to Bryan Glancy, a Mancunian songwriter and friend of Elbow who died in 2007.

Full track listing would seem to be:

Starlings

The Bones Of You (audio clip available to stream at www.elbow.co.uk)

Mirrorball

Grounds For Divorce

An Audience With The Pope

Weather To Fly

The Loneliness Of A Towercrane Driver

The Fix

Some Riot

One Day Like This

Friend Of Ours

I've also found a bit more info here.

• 5 weeks later...

This is an EXCELLENT album. Was also at Porchester Hall the other week seeing them and have since been spinning the album. One Day Like This is indeed stunning, I hear it's not even going to be the 2nd single though, which is pure madness.

I've been having a listen to the version that's "out there" and I've go to say it's great! I'm enjoying it loads. Some great tracks. I was originally thinking that they would have to go a long, long way to beat their last album, but by jove I think they've done it. I was going to buy it anyway, but there's no way I'm going to miss it now.

I found their third album a TEENSY bit insipid. You guys are sounding like this is a return to form... is it?

Well, after my initial "wow" reaction, I've come back to reality slightly. The new album has some of Elbow's best songs ever, and a small amount of filler. There are 2 or 3 generic tracks that Elbow could have crapped out in their sleep, but the rest are really, really good. It's a fine album - better than the last 2 easily imo.

Well, after my initial "wow" reaction, I've come back to reality slightly. The new album has some of Elbow's best songs ever, and a small amount of filler. There are 2 or 3 generic tracks that Elbow could have crapped out in their sleep, but the rest are really, really good. It's a fine album - better than the last 2 easily imo.

Yeah, I agree. Now, don't get me wrong, I think as an album it's still one of the strongest they've produced. The weakest songs in my opinion being "An Audience With The Pope", "The Loneliness Of A Tower Crane Driver" and "The Fix". But even they have the odd flourish of musical greatness. Everything else I've got on constant repeat.

EDIT: I was wrong about "The Fix". After seeing them play this live with Richard Hawley, it's now become one of my favourite tracks off the album.