Oil painting

Number 28

Cheers. I'm tempted to do a series of samurai actors...although the only other I can think of is Toshiro Mifune. Painting all the samurai in Seven Samurai could be good I spose, if not in direct competition with the already excellent movie poster art I have on my wall... hmmm

• 1 month later...

I had a go at imitating the work of one of my favourite artists, Leonid Afremov as an introduction into oils. I've never used them before and still have no clue on how to use them properly, but had a go nonetheless and here's how it came out!

autumnrp4.jpg

Good stuff Andross. Maybe I should've heard of him before, but I just checked out some Leonid Afremov, and wow, incredible stuff. I don't think I could figure out exactly how he works without watching him paint over his shoulder. It boggles my mind. I think I should probably start to experiment more. :(

Btw, I don't think there's a wrong way to use oils, or anything for that matter. When I first got them, I had a quick sniff around the internet for basic hints and tips, but other than the whole fat over lean thing, there was nothing of use really. I just use them pretty much the same as I would use acrylics, but with added blend power.