Oil painting

Number 28

Wait. We don't look alike. :P Is that what you're implying?

Noooo, I took a peek at his photo bucket, and thought i'd seen him before! Anyway, you'll always have your banging tits to set you apart. :( (Bet you wish you hadn't disclosed that story now!)

P.S. IT'S ON.

Looking at all this makes me really want to commit to having a go with oil painting, but it's slow drying and thick textures (and the thought of having to buy a whole new set of brushes & paints) daunts me so very much :)

Also great work, & Let the oily battle begin..

Looking at all this makes me really want to commit to having a go with oil painting, but it's slow drying and thick textures (and the thought of having to buy a whole new set of brushes & paints) daunts me so very much :)

Also great work, & Let the oily battle begin..

Bit of a misconception there - you can thin out oils as much as you want. I paint very thinly with them, and it looks like Number 28 and doodie do as well. That's one of the many great things about oil painting :)

The drying time remains a factor, but to me it's a big plus because I work very slowly.

I know about the thinning with oils I was planning on using the thicker quality of oils like my personal hero of paint Dave Cooper.

But if you do use them in a more liquid way are normal acrylic brushes all fine and dandy then?

Yeah, I exclusively use acrylic brushes - these ones:

http://www.winsornewton.com/products/brush...colour/galeria/

I've been through a lot of different types, but I settled on these a long time ago. They last for ages and keep their shape nicely, and they have great paint retention. I expect any decent brush you're comfortable with on acrylics should be fine for thinner oils though.

I've been using acrylics for the first time in ages to paint my manuel... gawd, I hate them now! You mix a colour, and it's all dried out in thirty seconds...and it immediately begins to dry on the brush, clogging it up. It's a constant struggle to maintain the correct consistency. Oils FTW! Makes me wish i'd started with them earlier. I was always put off by that 'old fashioned' and 'thick' look they tend to have, but you can really do anything you like with them.

I have some proper oil brushes for my larger ones, but I have watercolour brushes for the small ones. Oil brushes seem too rough/scratchy and rigid for detail work. Not absorbent enough either.

Gotta get back into this...feel a bit guilty not having touched it in a month.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

kitano4.jpg

Coming along...but still a long way to go. I've been exceptionally lazy with it.

Black and white is proving to be a nightmare though. Both the black and white oils take an age to dry, and mixing black and white seems to give you a slightly blue tint, which is at odds with a black wash. Cheap paint I guess. If I do another, I might fork out on some expensive oils. Then again, I might just stick to colour.

Yeah, pull your thumb out mate. ^_^

Has anyone here been to an art college/school/thing? I'm wondering if it's possible to get funding/sponsorship/grants to do something like that. Doubtful, but who knows. All I know is, I need to improve, diversify, generally do more stuff, and i'd rather not have a job. :angry:

My aunt is an installation/media artist. When she graduated she managed to get funding from the arts council and started from there. That's basically where you want to start but as far as i'm aware it's incredibly difficult to get any funding at all.

Oh my god! Those eyes be killing me, seriously amazing! Kinda reminds me of Gerhard richters work :)

Unfortuantly cause of being bogged down with waaay too much work, I havent really been able to do as much painting as I would have liked to but here are 2 that Ive started :(

This is one that I started ages ago and then kinda lost interst, I think I just wasnt "feeling it" so It hasnt been touched in a long time...Im sure I may finish it one day though

DSC02370.jpg

This one I just started recently and am now adding to whenever I have the time. They both in A6 I think (basically postcard size)

DSC02367.jpg

Oh no, not you again. :)

Looking good chap. I love how you do your hair. I still have a massively hard time with it. It comes out ok I guess, but it takes me forever. Your way looks more straightforward, but is still uber detailed and realistic, and fits with the rest of it. I just over-complicate things and stress out.

The first one is still oils right? You must dilute them like crazy to get that watercolour-like smoke effect. I wouldn't mind seeing your sources if you don't mind. I'm just curious as to your starting point...I tend to fiddle a lot in Photoshop with the source before I start to get more intense contrast and colours.

• 1 month later...
What colours you working with?

I only really have about 7 paints at the moment. Just got the bare amount until I know I really want to use them, so the primaries then white and some of my personal favourites.

Great job, ristar! Did you treat the wood with anything first? I know with an unprimed canvas it'll rot after a few years, not sure how it is with wood

I didn't really know what to do about that, but the wood is some of my found collection that I half strip so the treated sections are a little patchy now.

On the same kind of subject is there a coating to put on a painting after it's dry to protect it. I have some for my acrylics but does oil paint also need something?

• 2 weeks later...