Oil painting

Number 28

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks ace Doodie. I like how many various colours you get in there. I was looking at an artbook of photorealistic oil paintings, and they would also paint in that 'one bit at a time' way... maybe I should try it that way sometime.

Emir, shut it you tart. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I'd post a painting I've been working on over the past couple of days:

lynchian.jpg

As the URL suggests, I've been getting a strong David Lynch vibe from it as it's developed. It's not quite finished yet. Still need to tidy up the old boy's hands, and possibly adjust the length/width of his legs a bit. Also need to paint in his chair properly. I'm pretty pleased with it, but it's a funny thing, painting. You go through half hour spells of nailing it, pure loving the process, then you spend the next half hour completely bombing it and getting stressed to fuck. Then you need to pure wrestle it back on track. It's like an epic struggle. Very strange. There's been a shitload of that going on with this painting, though I think it's definitely on track now.

Cheers, man. Yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm a fan of both artists. When they work from photographs, it's like they're recreating a memory from someone else's mind. The details become warped just through the process of painting. The mood and atmosphere of the images becomes more twisted and sinister for me. Marlene Dumas achieves something similar, but with even more ambiguous, ghost-like detail. Each of these artists create images that remind me of loose, vaguely remembered moments, with their ambiguous, blurry faces. The effect is quite haunting. That's definitely something that appeals to me. They're like snapshots from a dream. You know the way people's identities shift and pass into someone else's when you dream? Like, you could be dreaming you're in a car park with your best mate, only at the same time he's also your old English teacher, and you're in a forest? I think Richter, Tuymans and Dumas achieve that type of thing in a lot of their work. A single image is able to create completely polarising sensations within the viewer simultaneously, like a mixture of nostalgia and nausea. Lynch's movies do the same for me too. I think it's this kind of unnerving fine line between dreams and reality that I'm trying to evoke with my own work at this stage.

kitano.jpg

Again...gob is well and truly smacked. Amazing work ;)

What would you charge for a commission? I suppose it would be based on size of canvas, time and materials etc? I've always really liked this picture of Michael Caine.

sir_michael.jpg

I'm thinking a nice sized widescreen canvas jobbie would look lovely. This is the best version I could find with a quick look. Not sure how well it would work detail wise.

Edit: It also seems to be cropped slightly, as the small glossy print I have has more showing at the sides.

Depends what size you're thinking of. I'd have to look around online for a canvas...for some reason the local art store has either boring 4:3 jobbies, or ridiculous oval and hexagon shapes. ;) That photo does look mint tho' (though black and white :angry:). I :angry: Michael Caine.

P.S. Why did you quote a much older/worse version of my pic? :(:D

I did wonder if black and white was gonna be a nightmare. As for the quote, oops....that was a mistake. I was reading back over the thread and trying to source the Michael Caine pic at the same time and clicked the wrong post in haste.

Older it may be, but even at that stage it looked fantastic, so you should be pleased ;) (post fixed btw)

I'm not sure on size either, I guess it depends on what you can source. I will take a look around myself and see what options are available. Keep up the good work.

There's some amazing talent in this thread.

Depends what size you're thinking of. I'd have to look around online for a canvas...for some reason the local art store has either boring 4:3 jobbies, or ridiculous oval and hexagon shapes. :)

A quick look on eBay suggests around £10 to £15 for a large sized canvas in the 70cm x 100cm to 40" x 30" bracket. Is that too large for you though?

I wouldn't want you to work out of your comfort zone. So if you can pick a canvas that you think you could work well with and keep the essence of the picture (even if it's smaller) then I would be happy. If you are interested in taking it on as a commission piece then let me know and send me a PM. No pressure. After all, I might tell you to kiss my butt when you give me a price :rolleyes:

For a 40*30", i'm almost certain you would say that... :) A local dealer said I could get £300-400 for an 18*14" canvas, so... I'm not saying I would ask for that much, it's so difficult, but tbh, i'm not really after selling right now. It'd be nice, sure, but hanging onto my stuff feels more important to me right now, seeing as I have very little. I've still not been part of an exhibition, and i'd really like to exhibit stuff somewhere at least once before letting it go. :rolleyes:

Yeah I wasn't sure if that would be too big. I had no frame of reference as from looking at your examples I would have said they must be large to get that sort of detail in them. You must just be extra talented :rolleyes: . I understand what you're saying though so don't worry about the commission work.

If you do fancy challenging yourself to another black and white piece in future, think about having a crack at my suggestion. I still think it's a damn cool pic. Just remember me when you get all famous and give me first refusal and a forum discount :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Andross!! :):(

Just thought i'd do an update seeing as it looks terrible up above. Still not finished though, three months on...oh dear. :)

bowiewip3.jpg

Not really feeling this one. Seems like such a bad idea painting well-knowns from well-known photos! :) I'd love to do something completely different... possibly with whole torsos or bodies involved, but i'm lost for ideas at the moment. Inspiration needed!