Oil painting

Number 28

Hehe it seems to be your mantra, I've used the radiator a few times, works quite well, hair drier finishes it nicely :lol:

Should I mix up the skin ton I had been using and then introduce the oranges slowly or something? I'm quite unsure how to do it.

Should I mix up the skin ton I had been using and then introduce the oranges slowly or something? I'm quite unsure how to do it.

Hmm, not sure how you're working tbh. What colours have you got? How do you go about mixing colours? What did the original skin tone consist of?

Barkbat: Thanks. I'm just planning to do what I usually do in terms of detail, but it should appear a bit looser than the previous painting simply because the original photograph isn't very sharp. The detail around the eyes, mouth and thumb is pretty much what i'm going for with the rest of it. I've also got to add a whole load of freckles too on the skin...i'm just a detail whore i'm afraid. I can't stand to see big flat areas of colour with no point of interest.

Archie: You're obsessed with hair man! :( It should 'make' the painting though I think. At the moment it's hard to ignore the big yellow/brown mess in the top right. Gotta bring it all up the same level.

Hmm, not sure how you're working tbh. What colours have you got? How do you go about mixing colours? What did the original skin tone consist of?

It consisted of titanium white, burnt umber, yellow ochre, flesh tint and irovy black. She's very lightly brown in the picture so i'm not sure where to go with it really.

Oooh, well, like I said, don't use black. Ever. If you want realism that is, obviously. Just try titanium white, yellow ochre, and a tiny bit of cadmium red, and go from there. Shadows, blemishes and edges will just be a case of mixing up those three in various quantities, and for really dark areas adding burnt umber and ultramarine blue (instead of black, mix those two).

• 4 weeks later...

Nono, this isn't Number 28 updating the thread with the finished painting it's just me :)

Finished several portraits and have a few more on the go but don't think they're worthy of posting up here so I thought i'd just post the most recent for my A2 portrait project on emotions. Not dried yet or photographed in natural light, will do when it's dry.

post-5800-1203464758_thumb.jpg

Nice work number 28! When drawing from the original picture onto the canvas do you use a grid or other method of getting the proportions right? I find it a nightmare to get right with human faces that you want to look like someone when sketching freehand without markers of some sort.

Finished several portraits and have a few more on the go

Wtf...steady on there. ;)

Nice pic. Is that paint though? Looks like pastels or something? Not complaining, just curious. :(

Kyoshiro: Yeah, I use a grid, because I too would be hopeless. Maybe a bit shameful to use such a rudimentary and foolproof method of copying, but at the end of the day i'd rather have a well proportioned painting. ;)

Wtf...steady on there. :)

Nice pic. Is that paint though? Looks like pastels or something? Not complaining, just curious. :lol:

Steady on ther? Full steam ahead! :P

The mouth and nose were highlighted using oils pastels but the rest is oil paints. Been experimenting with using materials to make surface details/patterns so the next one should be nicer :)

Nice work Orchid

Thankies

Hmph, pastels?? I thought as much. Get the hell out of my painting thread!!

I joke. :)

Hehe, I'm pretty pissed off about art in school, I think about 8 out of 10 people are resubmitting work they did last year meaning they have to do half the work I'm doing. At least I get to actually do art though :lol:

Hehe, I'm pretty pissed off about art in school, I think about 8 out of 10 people are resubmitting work they did last year meaning they have to do half the work I'm doing. At least I get to actually do art though :)

Awesome paint/pastel jobbie.

Also, as regards the school thing, you'll also have twice the work to show off in your portfolio as them, which will come in handy not just for Uni, but for jobs etc. in the future.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Just wait until you get to college, then you'll find out what proper art education is instead of "There's an apple, draw it." Are you doing a foundation year first, Orchid? It seems like hardly anyone is doing them any more, but I can't recommend them enough, they're a real eye opener to how shit and uncreative school art education is and they let you try a bit of everything, I probably improved more in my foundation year than I will any other year of my life

Just wait until you get to college, then you'll find out what proper art education is instead of "There's an apple, draw it." Are you doing a foundation year first, Orchid? It seems like hardly anyone is doing them any more, but I can't recommend them enough, they're a real eye opener to how shit and uncreative school art education is and they let you try a bit of everything, I probably improved more in my foundation year than I will any other year of my life

I'm hoping to start straight into visual communication at glasgow school of art but the first year there is an included foundation year. If I don't get in there then it's a foundation year at edinburgh college of art or foundation camberwell school of art. So to put it simply, foundation is a gogo!

• 2 weeks later...
Another work in progress, both still unfinished. I've been accepted into foundation at camberwell yay... next stop glasgow.

Portrait_467_by_paul117.jpg

If its meant to be a self portrait, then it worked. It looks like you.

edit: except i know full well youre a ginner. Don't be ashamed.