The Best Film of 2007

InsideOutBoy

We've had many a big sequel this year (Spiderman 3, Pirates 3, Bourne 3, Die Hard 4) and many blockbusters that have caused multiple page threads (300, Golden Compass, the Simpsons, Transformers) but very little cult classics unfortunately. It's been a year of big budgets.

Anyway, what's been your best film released in 2007? If you're having trouble thinking check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_films which lists them all!

For me it's a toss-up between Ratatouille (best Pixar movie since Toy Story) and Sunshine (I'm a sucker for spaceships), neither of which I thought were that amazing, but still... Best of a bad year and all that.

Over to you. :D

Best one I've seen, if it counts, is King of King.

I also liked Bourne Ultimatum, Ratatouille (thanks for spelling that for me) and Grindhouse. I don't think it's been a great year for film, all in all.

Not checked out many arthouse films though, I'll wait for the critics' lists to see what shows up.

I've seen some amazing films, probably my best year for films ever (I'm only 19).

My top three:

1. Once

Utterly joyous, brilliant storyline, well played, perfect length and fantastic soundtrack. Can't ask for anything more.

2. Control

On the other end of the spectrum to once in terms of happiness levels but it's well acted and portrays the story of Ian Curtis quite well.

3. Into the Wild

Amazing cinematography.

Zodiac, I think. I have a soft spot for that kind of factual drama anyway so it gets an advantage. After that I was totally satisfied with The Bourne Ultimatum. Sunshine would have been high up there but was ruined by a poor third act. I haven't seen No Country.... yet.

It'll have to be Transformers I'm afraid. Bloody great film dispite all the naysayers. Superbad was also very good and enjoyed Simpsons and Bourne. Tho frankly this year has been a let down in many areas - Spider 3, Pirates 3 and Shrek 3 all notable contenders which has very good previous films but thier third iterations wer ejust a mess. Die Hard 4 was good to now I think about it.

How about the most disappointing as well?

For me it's Pirates 3, largely because I was so surprised at how much I enjoyed the second one (I didn't care much for the first either way). I finally saw the third last week, and... somewhere along the way all the characters became completely unlikeable. By the end of the film I found that I didn't care what happened to any of them and I was just ticking off the minutes to the credits. It was also unrelentingly gloomy and grimy, but without any of the light humour of the others (they tried for it but it just wasn't happening). It bounced around incoherently and set up a whole bunch of things that either fizzled out or went nowhere at all.

It disappointed me more than Transformers even, because I went into Transformers with certain low expectations.

After the second one I expected Pirates 3 to be shit so it didn't hit quite as badly as the year before.

I've just thought that I did like Eastern Promises but it'll be a bit depressing if that ends up being my film of the year once I've seen those other two.

Sabe, you git, making me look like a copycat reviewer and all...

Zodiac for me too, by a country mile, although that's a sign of a not-too-great year. If Perfume had come out four weeks or so later, it'd be that - a really evocative filming of the unfilmable. And if the buzz around No Country is right, that could have been tops had it come out over here this year. Obviously, I've not seen it yet but the anticipation is there to such an extent that it's shading into precognition...I can feel it will be great. Which enthusiasm is unusual for me these days (the Dark Knight stuff currently whipping up such anticipation just looks to me like yet another guy in dodgy makeup being all angsty for the camera, and Sunshine was disappointingly formulaic, 'nice gfx and soundtrack' notwithstanding). So Sunshine is my most disappointing, as I'd looked forward with relish to the return of the great sci-fi of ideas.

Yeah, so Zodiac wins anyway.

A photo finish for me: Zodiac or 3:10 to Yuma. Zodiac was so minimal, like cinematic watercolours, with a creepy lingering dread throughout. And 3:10 to Yuma was brutal, fast and frantic. Crowe, Bale, Peter Fonda and Ben Foster are all fantastic. Good to see a modern western and a modern film with a strong ensemble cast.

Ratatouille and King of Kong are the two best movies I've seen this year. I really enjoyed Grindhouse, Planet Terror more than Deathproof (damn mouthy bitches), but I would have loved to watch it as it was intended in double feature format, did anyone see it this way? The Aqua Teen movie was a bit disappointing but still rocked. Shooter was probably the best action movie of the year, though I have yet to see City Without Mercy, War, still a few weeks left this year to catch up.

Transformers was also fantastic, one of the best films I've ever watched, let's hope we see more movies of this quality from Hollywood next year.

I'm unconvinced by Bale. Thought he was dreadful in Empire of the Sun; put it down to age. Then came Harsh Times, in which he plays someone mysteriously transported from the early-'90s. "Like, NO WAY DUDE, it was fuckin' John Romero, dawg!"

His performance in Batman Begins was the best I've seen of him, but he was still oddly cold (beyond the requirements of the script). I think there were better acting options for that film. I have Equilibrium and The Prestige on DVD, unwatched, so I'll give him two more goes.

He's a fine acting, but most of all he has a working ethic you just have to respect. Have you ever seen the Machinist? He lost 63 pounds for that (the very first scene where you see him is actually the most frightening part of the film). He ate like crazy to get even more weight than before for Batman Begins and lost another 55 pounds for Rescue Dawn (which I haven't seen yet).

The Fountain is my favourite film along with Inland Empire. IMDB has them both listed for 2006, but that's unfair since they weren't in cinemas here until this year.

The Darjeeling Limited. I'm guess I'm biased though, am a huge fan of wes anderson movies, and had long been waiting for the release of his latest. All of his movies just seem to manage to be emotionally touching, really vibrant and full of life despite generally being based around fairly sad themes and with great dialog between the major players. I've sat countless times through the couple of hours of each of his movies thus far and the goose bumps, the glassy eyed teary happiness and the huge grin on my face never seem to diminish, despite knowing exactly what's coming.