The Best Film of 2007

InsideOutBoy

I think I would have to go Pan's Labyrinth as well. I only got to see it at the start of the year.

Although I'm going to be watching 'This Is England' over christmas so it could still change!

The worst film I've seen this year however is "The Holiday" which I was forced to watch on Sky the other day. I took a scouring pad to my eyes but it didn't help.

The worst film I've seen this year however is "The Holiday" which I was forced to watch on Sky the other day. I took a scouring pad to my eyes but it didn't help.

Urgh, agree. I had the dubious joy of having to sit through that on Saturday night also. I thought that at some point it would let up with the overly schmaltzy constant christmas and relationships love-in and just be a fairly lightweight comedy - but it didn't! Totally sickening.

I'm unconvinced by Bale. Thought he was dreadful in Empire of the Sun; put it down to age. Then came Harsh Times, in which he plays someone mysteriously transported from the early-'90s. "Like, NO WAY DUDE, it was fuckin' John Romero, dawg!"

His performance in Batman Begins was the best I've seen of him, but he was still oddly cold (beyond the requirements of the script). I think there were better acting options for that film. I have Equilibrium and The Prestige on DVD, unwatched, so I'll give him two more goes.

Watch American Psycho

I'm unconvinced by Bale. Thought he was dreadful in Empire of the Sun; put it down to age. Then came Harsh Times, in which he plays someone mysteriously transported from the early-'90s. "Like, NO WAY DUDE, it was fuckin' John Romero, dawg!"

His performance in Batman Begins was the best I've seen of him, but he was still oddly cold (beyond the requirements of the script). I think there were better acting options for that film. I have Equilibrium and The Prestige on DVD, unwatched, so I'll give him two more goes.

Watch American Psycho

:P You mentioned some of his worst films

Watch American Psycho and The Machinist, if you don't like him then, there is no hope

That film was an utter disgrace, i don't know what Sam Raimi was thinking with that one.

Yeah, it was the hamfisted use of the villains and the horrible, horrible tonal problems that left me so majorly disappointed. It could have been immense, but it was completely bungled.

I'll go for 'Once', which is the only (sort of) musical I've ever enjoyed.

Quality film, I absolutely hate musicals but this for me is certainly one of the best films of this year. Although it is a musical, it's not in the conventional sense. No one suddenly leaps into some camp song and dance every five minutes. Just a really nice, sweet film.

This Is England would be up there too. Meadows is a legend.

:P You mentioned some of his worst films

Watch American Psycho and The Machinist, if you don't like him then, there is no hope

Harsh times is SO much better than the Machinist. And I actually thought his performance in harsh times was incredible. Playing the annoyingly self obsessed friend that you no longer want to be associated with is a monumental task and he pulled it off brilliantly.

I'm classing 2007 as films that were released (for the first time) in UK cinemas from January 1st onwards rather than the date they were made because lots of films can get held back. So...

1. The Lives of Others

2. Control

3. The Bourne Ultimatum

Honourable Mentions: This is England, Ratatouille, Beowulf (3D), Kenny, INLAND EMPIRE, Stardust.

The Darjeeling Limited. I'm guess I'm biased though, am a huge fan of wes anderson movies, and had long been waiting for the release of his latest. All of his movies just seem to manage to be emotionally touching, really vibrant and full of life despite generally being based around fairly sad themes and with great dialog between the major players. I've sat countless times through the couple of hours of each of his movies thus far and the goose bumps, the glassy eyed teary happiness and the huge grin on my face never seem to diminish, despite knowing exactly what's coming.

See, I love Wes Anderson, but this one left me a little cold. Perhaps it'll improve with repeat viewings. I just thought it seemed to end just as it was getting somewhere, I thought the flashback sequence was pointless, and it all seemed a little Anderson-by-numbers (dysfunctional family, slo-mo sequence set to Seventies acoustic strum, etc).

For me, it'd be Bourne, This Is England and Superbad. Not really seen enough films this year, actually. I'm sure I've missed a host of better ones. Was The Science of Sleep this year? That too, if so.

Bourne Ultimatum as an indicator of how to do a fast paced action film well, Zodiac because for me anyway it came out of nowhere (won tickets to see it and knew nothing about it) and Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters as it's made me laugh more than any other film I've seen this year.