The bestest PS2 games...

Chooch

OK, a while back, there was a thread in Discussion for people to post their top 100 games. I decided my 100, but couldn't put them in order.

Anyway, I'll state which PS2 games found their way in:

Capcom Vs SNK 2

Metal Gear Solid 2

Burnout 3

Devil May Cry 1 and 3

Tekken Tag (PS2)

Shadow of Memories

God of War

Ico

Shadow of the Colossus

Zone of Enders 2nd Runner

And looking at it, that isn't much of a list. However, when I first spooled out 100 games, these were the ones that found their way in. Looking at it now though, I'm not so sure. There were several others, but such as Time Crisis 2, but as I prefer the arcade version I haven't included it. I've also tried not to include games with superior versions on other machines; I've included Burnout 3 though just to represent racing games (though I prefer the Xbox version).

Shadow of Memories is a game I particularly liked, and although it went multi-format it was exclusive for a long time. Voice acting aside (it isn't Shenmue but isn't KOTOR either) and though a little easy, I really liked the story; it was well thought out with a good twist, very fun.

Metal Gear 2 and Capcom Vs SNK are very much personal picks, due to me remembering when they came out and how much me and my friends played them.

Zone of Enders 2nd Runner goes in there because it's a technical masterpiece. In my eyes it's easily the best looking game on PS2 by quite a margin - it's both technically and stylistically spectacular. Great fun, too.

The rest should need no explanation.

Shadow of Memories is a game I particularly liked, and although it went multi-format it was exclusive for a long time. Voice acting aside (it isn't Shenmue but isn't KOTOR either) and though a little easy, I really liked the story; it was well thought out with a good twist, very fun.

The twist I expected in my head was far better than the one that occured, I was sorry to discover. :(

I recommend Space Channel 5 Special Edition (SC5 1 & 2 on a double DVD set), which I don't think got a PAL release.

The first game had a European PAL release, the second was available in Australian PAL format only I think. Both worth picking up if you don't have a Dreamcast though.

• 3 weeks later...
I used to love Sky Odyssey but my old disk crashed at an early stage, I cant find a copy anywhere now, not even 'out there'. anyone got any ideas?

I'll give this one a go. Just ordered a copy via Amazon marketplace and there were some more copies left if you are still interested.

My favourites...

* Ratchet & Clank - all of them are brilliant, but I think the second one is the best. Much better than the similar Jak & Daxter. Easily the best series on PS2.

* Psychonauts - superb, and later levels are a must-play for Tim Burton fans.

* Pitfall: The Lost Expedition - lovely little retro-themed platformer.

* Destroy All Humans - the first one, the sequel was dull.

* Beyond Good & Evil - unusual and lovely.

I also loved Primal and Drakan: The Ancient's Gates. And Project Eden and Deus Ex are worth having (if you didn't own them on PC), although both are dated now.

Kuri Kuri Mix - 2 player co-op vertical scrolling platformer by From Software, saw it for a few quid mint a while back so should be cheap.

Another vote for Tecmo's overlooked Rygar: The Legendary Adventure, nice mix of platforming and GoW-type action, ages before GoW was released.