NGamer Issue #19 scores

Rudderless

I am not talking about the rest of the magazine, but i picked this up today and i have to say the Virtual Console recommended list is having a laugh!

Not recommended:

Super Star Soldier - ok maybe but Soldier Blade is better they must recommend that!

Soldier Blade - not recommended either!!!!

Neutopia - and i quote 'wants to be zelda but isn’t’ :/

Super Probotector - not recommended!!! better have a good reason quote ' Hard as nails' :wub:

Recommended WTF`s:

China Warrior - :lol:

Virtua Fighter 2 (md) - :(

Maybe I’m being too critical but to not recommend in particular 'Super Probotector' and to recommend the likes of China Warrior and Virtua Fighter 2 (md), is really bad ill say. Maybe they had some tough choices as it is just Recommend or not recommend but still, some of these games are just too bad.. and others just too good imo.

I am not talking about the rest of the magazine, but i picked this up today and i have to say the Virtual Console recommended list is having a laugh!

Not recommended:

Super Star Soldier - ok maybe but Soldier Blade is better they must recommend that!

Soldier Blade - not recommended either!!!!

Neutopia - and i quote 'wants to be zelda but isn’t’ :/

Super Probotector - not recommended!!! better have a good reason quote ' Hard as nails' :wub:

Recommended WTF`s:

China Warrior - :lol:

Virtua Fighter 2 (md) - :lol:

Maybe I’m being too critical but to not recommend in particular 'Super Probotector' and to recommend the likes of China Warrior and Virtua Fighter 2 (md), is really bad ill say. Maybe they had some tough choices as it is just Recommend or not recommend but still, some of these games are just too bad.. and others just too good imo.

:wub:

Here's why NGamer isn't stocked in many places and is probably selling poorly: It's a penny under five pounds.

You're right - Future stiffed it right from the start by being greedy with the price. There's no justification for it at all - they obviously just thought there'd be enough Nintendo fanboys around to cough up. Maybe they're right, I dunno, but it does feel as though NGamer was never even given a chance. The fact that there's no longer a DVD but it's still a fiver is a bad sign for the mag's future. Next thing you know it'll be a stapled spine...

I subscribe because of the ridiculous High Street price (subscribing also saves me the shame of being seen in public buying a Nintendo mag with shitty, childish covers - er, and I got a free Waverbird). Consequently, I'm interested in finding out who the new editor is before the next issue comes out, cos if it's Tim Weaver, for instance, then I need to get on the phone to Future with a view to cancelling ASAP. Charging £5 for a magazine which doesn't look particularly appealing on shop shelves is daft, though.

Picked this up the other day for the first time in a few years and it's a great mag, so much to see and get involved with, all the online stuff is good too, but could be better, a few more links to wii specific stuff would be nice. The reviewed games list could be clearer though.

But damn the price is enough to put me off getting it for a few months.

It's not Tim Weaver.

I know who it is now. It's Nick Ellis. So in some respects, I still don't know who it is, but I Googled and found out that he is the former deputy editor of XBox World magazine, whose editor was... Tim Weaver.

Here's something from the archives on that mag's Driver 3 review.

<a href="http://spong.com/article/7014/Atari" target="_blank">http://spong.com/article/7014/Atari on%2...announced?cb=29</a>

We contacted various staff at Future today for comment.
"The allegation that there is some grand conspiracy between ourselves and Atari - 'you give it a nine, we'll lob a sticker on the box and a page in the manual' - is again wrong. The sticker was agreed on only after the review had been written and sent to press."
"Sure I've over marked games - 9/10 for MOH: Rising Sun in OPS2..."
With a discernible note of despair in his voice, Tim Weaver, XBW editor, declined to explain the situation.

The Red Steel 2 review is in good hands!!

I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt so I'm not rushing to cancel my subscription just yet. I'm not fussed about the review scores, but I buy the mag for the humour and enthusiasm, so I'll give it a couple of issues to see how it changes.

I'm amazed that a pound's price difference would actually put people off buying this. A pound! That's less than half the price of a pint! Or the price of a decent pasty! Baffling from a community who regularly spend £40 or more at a time.

I was a loyal reader of N64 magazine from issue 11. Ever since it changed to Ngamer it went downhill but still hasnt lost its spark. Thanks to the price and getting a bit ticked off about all the 'FREE BOOK!' gifts, I only get it once every 2 months most of the time.

I'm amazed that a pound's price difference would actually put people off buying this. A pound! That's less than half the price of a pint! Or the price of a decent pasty! Baffling from a community who regularly spend £40 or more at a time.

Knowing how brilliant the magazine is, it doesn't put me off. But it'd almost certainly put off potential new readers, who are looking around for a Nintendo mag to pick up - especially when they see NRevolution (or whatever it's called) for £2.99 and the Official Nintendo Mag for £3.99 right next to it on the shelf. When you're browsing mags in a shop the goodness of the writing isn't apparent, especially when they're in plastic bags. My whinging about the price is because it stifled the mag's growth right from the start. Being two quid more expensive than the competition in the magazine market is just barmy.

Kittsy has been Deputy Editor of both NGamer and NGC for God knows how long, they should have given him the job.

because it makes the mag a fiver, the same reason i wont buy PCG or PCZ. a fiver is simply too much for a mag thats out of date before it hits the printers.

It's that mental barrier, it's why items are priced at 19.99...because it doesn't "feel" like 20 quid subconsciously.

Ngamer looks like a fiver....and when my Tesco bill is 30 quid or something, i cant justify a 6th of it for half an hour reading.

Knowing how brilliant the magazine is, it doesn't put me off. But it'd almost certainly put off potential new readers, who are looking around for a Nintendo mag to pick up - especially when they see NRevolution (or whatever it's called) for £2.99 and the Official Nintendo Mag for £3.99 right next to it on the shelf. When you're browsing mags in a shop the goodness of the writing isn't apparent, especially when they're in plastic bags. My whinging about the price is because it stifled the mag's growth right from the start. Being two quid more expensive than the competition in the magazine market is just barmy.

Kittsy has been Deputy Editor of both NGamer and NGC for God knows how long, they should have given him the job.

Makes me wonder if he'd want it. He was editor of NGC right near the end, when it was thin as anything (but still easily the best Nintendo mag).

Picked this mag up for the free DS case the other week and was shocked at how good it was, I cant really justify buying a Ninty only mag as I buy hardly any games for my wii and DS but if some of the talent went to a multiformat like GamesTM I'd definitely grab a few issues. I really want a Tetris scarf now.

It still contained the same sparkling prose. It was just clearly running out of steam, much like the console it was named after.

Absolutely but it was just sad to see how much it had been reduced from the glory it once was. The N64 days were just amazing, 130 pages and at the time it seemed like amazing games were coming out every month that just blew my mind. Goldeneye, Diddy ong Racing, Lylat Wars, Smash Bros - issues 1-30 of N64 were just immense.

A fiver's still less than an hour's wage at the minimum wage, so I'm not put off the price, myself. Considering how much virtually every other magazine on the market is so shitty.

I'm on about 8.50 but a fivers a lot of money. Edge is only 4.50 and thats way better than Ngamer. I bet theres some proper earners that wont buy it either.