Buying Too Many Games For Your Own Good....

Warszawa

It's a problem I have, and I suspect many can relate to. The number of games I own far outweighs the number of games I ever manage to complete. Since mid-October, I've purchased Phantom Hourglass, Football Manager 2008, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, FIFA 08, Super Mario Galaxy, Sensible Soccer (XBLA) and The Orange Box, because it was a bargain at £25. I've also been given Crackdown and have been lent Ace Combat 6 & Call Of Duty 4 indefinitely. Oh, and I ordered Tingle DS earlier today because it was a tenner. Only Mario has been sort-of-completed (120 stars with Mario, but....) and even 'unfinishable' games like FIFA & Football Manager haven't seen me progress past the second season.

Now, I have time constraints. I have to work, I have an almost-one year old child to look after (along with my girlfriend, of course) so I only get limited time to play games. I can afford them because I don't spend recklessly, I don't splash the cash on booze or anything like that but this evening I've sat here pondering buying Mass Effect. I had to stop myself in the end - Why would I need to? It might be £29.99 at PC World, but surely I'm better off finishing The Orange Box & Metroid before indulging in another sci-fi tinged offering, however much I loved KotOR.

I don't regret buying the games (and I certainly don't regret being given games ^_^) as I've gotten a lot of fun out of more or less all of them so far, but I often regret that I see the very end in so few of them. I tend to get part way through before something else comes along, usually about three quarters. In a way, I really miss the lack of disposable income available to me as a child - I'd end up with maybe four games per year, and I'd complete each and every one. I'd drain every last bit of life from all of them - There wasn't something else to turn my head when my interest started to wane as the game neared its conclusion, what I had was what was going to last me until my birthday or Christmas (other than borrowing games from friends, of course).

So essentially, I enjoy games just as much as I ever have done - There's a shit load of glorious software out there, but I see the end credits in so little of it, which is a shame, really.

So, does anyone else do similarly? And why?

Join the club mate.

I seem to have an addiction to buying games as soon as they hit the shelves even tho I know I will never probably complete them. I must have completed about 12 games in 20 years of gaming. i must have approx 150 games in my collection too. ;)

For me it's playing and experience cutting edge gaming as it happens. Seeing the graphics that everyone is raving about, experiencing some great gaming moments... I just have fuck all time to see them through.

Sad really ^_^

sometimes i wish i was single, so I could play all the games I buy

like you say, years ago I remember playing my NES games to death, from having a Dreamcast years ago I've just bought loads and rarely finished many of them

i feel bad for not fully completing SMG and moving onto Halo3 and COD4, SMG deserves my time and effort

I went to Gamestation with the intention of getting VF5, and came back with 4 Xbox games and Skies of Arcadia for DC. It was in such good condition!

And I just bought that Introversion pack on Steam. I doubt I'll ever play those.

I did the exact same thing last year and never played half of what I bought. This year I've bought games one at a time and not bought anything else until I'd completed them.

Then I blew it out my arse thanks to the Play sale and now have a half dozen games sat waiting to be played. Curse you retail gods and good game developers!

I've kicked the habit - only bought 2 new games this year.

I was going to buy Halo 3 and Assassins Creed this month, then realised there was no point (not sure about either and XBox Live not an option for me) so I'm going to rent them instead.

I've discussed this with friends quite a bit - it's the same with everything. There's just too much out there. Too many games to play, films and TV to watch, books to read. There isn't enough space in life for it all. For example, I've started a concerted effort to make my way through the anime I've collected so far, but at the rate of one episode a night I've still got several years worth of stuff. And after that you get to the things you actually want to do yourself. I quite often end up doing nothing purely out of being unable to choose, kind of a brain freeze.

With games it's a little easier for me, as I tend not to play too many. The ones I do tend towards the kind that don't need to be finished as such, in the sense of seeing a story through to the end and reaching a 'game over' screen. I think the only viable solution is to be absolutely brutal in your choices. Luckily for me I'm exceptionally picky, and for another I have the barrier of not being able to play FPS games. This has nicely cut out the dilemma of things like Bioshock, Portal, CoD 4, Half-Life 2, etc. from my pile. Double-edged sword though, that.

I now buy less games, with the hope to pick them up at a later date a lot cheaper. Never happens though, i just wait and wait for them to get ever cheaper and then don't bother. Do i feel i'm missing out? A little bit, but that extra cash is a lot nicer in my pocket than as a shrink wrapped game sitting on my shelf.

... And after that you get to the things you actually want to do yourself. I quite often end up doing nothing purely out of being unable to choose, kind of a brain freeze...

This. With knobs on. Life seems permanently to be accelerating, and yet there always seem to be more and more choices of things to do in the shrinking time available.

I used to buy a lot of games. Now I just pick a lot of games up in the shop, maybe wander around with them for a couple of minutes, and then put them back on the shelf with the thought "Do I really need this?" Particularly when the current started-but-not finished pile includes The Orange Box, Mass Effect and loads of the late PS2 classics.

I probably make shop security people very paranoid.

I've bought over 60 games this year, the lion's share of which have been in the last few months. In the lead up to Halo 3's launch, I made it abundantly clear to my girlfriend that September to December was videogame season and so expect that I'd want to game most evenings. Luckily, this period has coincided with her studying for her final exams. This rare aligning of the videogaming gods gave me ample opportunity to play as much as I wanted each evening, meaning that I've bought all the major releases this year and have been able to invest the required time in them.

The only games that have been shelved part way through are PGR4 and Metroid Prime 3. But both of these will soon make a triumphant return once SMG and Uncharted are done and dusted. I'm well stocked with VC, XBLA and PSN games, which have had a look in, but are the perfect types of games to see me through the lean months ahead.

I buy a seriously unhealthy amount of games. Over the last few of months I've bought:

COD4

Timeshift

MoH Airborne

World in Conflict

World Racing 2

Winter Sports 2008

My Horse & Me

Zelda PH

Lumines 2

Soundvoyager (lovely ^_^)

UT3

MotoGP 07

The Orange Box

Uncharted

Lego Star Wars

FF Tactics

PGR4

Juiced 2

Race 07

MoH European Assault

Tak 3

Settlers VI

Quake WarsHot Wheels Beat That

Metroid Prime 3

Endless Ocean

TMNT

Then add a few VC games, the odd XBLA and PSN game and a couple of peripherals and I think I have a problem.

My usual pattern is to hammer a game for a week or two until something new comes along, then I'll get that and play that and the other game will get left. Recently, a friend of mine got a 360 and Forza 2 among other games, for crimbo. This urged me back to Forza 2 which I've not played since hammering it for about a month after it released. I'm enjoying it as much now as I did then.

Something has struck me though. The most recent of those games I've bought have been on offer, close to or actually half price. This felt good. I felt rewarded for waiting. Some I waited longer than others for, like Lego Star Wars. On offer in Gamestation after about 6 weeks sine it released. Quake Wars has been out a while longer.

But I also do things like buy Hot Wheels to see if it might be good. Same with Winter Sports 2008 and My Horse & Me. Those two aren't bad but Hot Wheels isn't great.

So, if I can stop buying randomly and wait a bit longer before buying new games I'll be OK.

COD4

Timeshift

MoH Airborne

World in Conflict

World Racing 2

Winter Sports 2008

My Horse & Me

Zelda PH

Lumines 2

Soundvoyager (lovely ^_^)

UT3

MotoGP 07

The Orange Box

Uncharted

Lego Star Wars

FF Tactics

PGR4

Juiced 2

Race 07

MoH European Assault

Tak 3

Settlers VI

Quake WarsHot Wheels Beat That

Metroid Prime 3

Endless Ocean

TMNT

My Horse, My.. hahahah, I think you have an impulse buying problem.

My Horse, My.. hahahah, I think you have an impulse buying problem.

On the day, that wasn't the impulse buy. I actually noticed it on Play.com a few weeks earlier and thought it would be good on the Wii, and it is. Winter Sports 2008 was te impulse buy on that day. That's the one that was sat on the shelf making me think "should I?"

I did the exact same thing last year and never played half of what I bought.

Me too, so I'm still playing them all now. I've bought about 10 games this year, most of which have been under £10 ^_^

You've bought 7 since mid-October? I usually buy more than that in a week.

I haven't bought anything since my Orange Box preorder/TF2 beta in September. How do you have the time to play more than 1 new game every day?

OP - I'm in a very similar position.

I've basically ended up buying far fewer games (currently on the go I have Phantom Hourglass on DS and Metroid Prime 3 on Wii).

Am gradually working through those. Really enjoying Metroid actually. Hats off to Retro for completely nailing the FPS controls on Wii.

Once that's completed will move on to Galaxy I reckon. At my current rate I'm good for about 4 games a year (year just gone was Ouendan / Puzzle Quest / Resident Evil 4 / TP).

I dunno about you guys but part of the reason I find myself buying games a lot is that I'm worried that when I finally get around to buying it, I won't be able to find it anywhere.

Had a near miss with Twilight Princess on the Gamecube.

I used to do it, but have stopped it in the last 12/18 months.

I used to buy anything that was seen as good, but I finally admitted that I don't have the time and that half these games just don't appeal to me anyway. I've actually enjoyed my gaming time more now as I devote more time to a few select titles, rather than grabbing an hour or two on one game before jumping to the next.

This year I think I've bought about eight games and still I have plenty to get through in those titles. That would have been two months worth a few years ago. It was pointless and a complete waste of money. The biggest mistake is buying stuff up as you may not be able to find it later on, because for most of us even if we do buy it we'll never get around to playing the bloody thing.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this recently. Personally I don't buy many games anymore, and although I still have a small backlog of stuff, I only play one at a time and enjoy each game thoroughly.

Something else that I've been wondering about though, is the importance of playing a game while it's brand new and there's still that buzz surrounding it, while all your friends are playing it and everyone on the internet are sharing stories and experiences and discoveries about it.

How important a part of the gaming experience is this to you guys? And for those that buy too many games for your own good, is there a link?