IGNORED

Mirror's Edge

Thread Owner

Possibly, I honestly can't remember. Will dig it out later and have a look.

Cheers ;) Sounds interesting from what everyone's saying. At a guess it could be you play as an escaped convict, so are on the run from the law.

Cheers ;) Sounds interesting from what everyone's saying. At a guess it could be you play as an escaped convict, so are on the run from the law.

I think you play as a 'runner' in a rooftop-based resistance movement, in a city controlled by an oppressive goverment who control the streets below. You might have to deliver packages and avoid fights using your skillz, rather than just gunning everyone down. I really like the promise of physicality and the bright art-style is a nice change. I think the red objects on the buildings indicate the best path for you to follow.

Oh man! Those shots look nice and fairly close to the concept art, me likes! ;) All I really know about it (as a few others ahve said) is the Edge article a while back, but if DICE can deliver on their ideas, this could be really good..

The Edge feature was published online.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=c...8&Itemid=51

That's a nice login prompt.

I lost all faith in DICE after BF2 demonstrated their embarrassing lack of competence in the areas of making engines and balancing fights. Seems like another hopper on the Parkour badwagon, though I do like the style demonstrated in the screenshots.

I think the red objects on the buildings indicate the best path for you to follow.

That's interesting. Does the blue path mean it's more dangerous?

Easily my most wanted FPS in developent. Even though there might not be a lot of shooting.

Yeah Vemsie, the devs said in the Edge article, that they want to subtly show the player the 'right' way through use of colour and subtle visual cues. I think the idea is that other routes won't be impossible, just the 'right' path is the one of least resistance, or something like that.

I dunno... you could have a map? Or a compass? If you ask me there's nothing better in games than getting lost in an interesting environment. Especially true if there are revolutionary climbing antics involved. The guides imply that you can't stray very far, and there's only one possible route. Meh.

I dunno... you could have a map? Or a compass? If you ask me there's nothing better in games than getting lost in an interesting environment. Especially true if there are revolutionary climbing antics involved. The guides imply that you can't stray very far, and there's only one possible route. Meh.

I'll definitely be disappointed too if it's just a linear path, but I'm hoping the red parts are simply signposts in a completely open world. I think the fast nature of running and jumping, dodging bullets and sliding around evading people would be ruined by having to stop and open a map to check where you are all the time. Seems like they want you to think on your feet a bit more, and providing a subtle (even though it's red) indicator in a (hopefully) open level is better than having no help in a restricted path level IMO, if you see what I mean.

I've only seen the edge article so don't know exactly what it will be like either though.

promising. deliverable though? i personally enjoyed the freedom given to me by crackdown's massive leaps through the city, this is more of a spiderman (i've not played the games so this is just my mind working here) type of thing. hmm, i'll keep an eye on this, previous 'free running' games have been utter shite though.

I've been interested in this for a while now. Only thing is I find it hard to believe that of everyone dice will create a revolution in gaming.

Well they managed it last time when they forced everyone to buy the Radeon 9800 to run their 3 year old game engine.

I've been interested in this for a while now. Only thing is I find it hard to believe that of everyone dice will create a revolution in gaming.

To be fair, BF was a genuinely revolutionary game when it hit.

(Admittedly, growing on what they did in the previous Codename Eagle's multiplayer...)

That said, I'm always going to have love for the makers of Pinball Dreams, y'know.

KG

• 1 month later...

This line from the RPS article...

This focus on movement seems like a significant shift in what game designers are getting interested in: movement needs to be better.

... reminded me of the comments Edge made around the time Ninja Gaiden and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time came out, about how movement had finally been made as joyful and satisfying as fighting. If Mirror's Edge can do the same thing for an FPS, it'll be excellent.