The Mysterious Cities of Gold Coming to DVD

Another thing I liked about it is that even though it's obviously a fantasy, it's actually rooted in genuine history and geography. Really appealing to anyone fascinated by archaeology and ancient cultures.

I think this was my favourite aspect about the series because it made the fantasy all the more fantastical.

• 1 month later...

Pretty steep price-wise, but it's still only a quid an episode, and someone had to take the time to remaster them all!

I'm getting a work bonus at the end of the month, so I'll treat myself to this, I think.

Having Ulysses and the stop-motion Moomins released a few years ago was a dream come true (and I probably loved watching Ulysses more now than I did as a child), and this is nice too.

Now I only really need Star Fleet and Robo Story (and maybe Once Upon a Time... Man) and my futile pursuit of the joy I felt as a child will be complete...

Hang on a bloody minute...the original Moomins series was released on DVD? Got a link?

EDIT: Just found the boxset. It's my birthday at the end of the month so I think I might treat myself.

I spent fifty quid about 4 years ago getting it from Germany (but it included the English language version, thankfully). Worth every penny, even though I've only watched disc one...

I spent fifty quid about 4 years ago getting it from Germany (but it included the English language version, thankfully). Worth every penny, even though I've only watched disc one...

I've got a feeling I probably won't get past the first disc either but I don't really care. It was always one of the most charming yet vaguely sinister TV series I can remember. Plus the animation is lovely.

Oh my... I've been trying to remember this show for years! All I had to go on was a very hazy memory of people walking towards the camera. Bit of Youtube later and another childhood mystery memory is solved :huh:

Mysterious Cities of Gold was like this for me, for some reason I remembered it as The Golden Condor and spent many years asking people if they remembered it. The excitement when I accidently found it on stage6 was unbelievable. Definitly getting this....after rent...and bills....sigh....

• 1 month later...

I really need to get this, I bought some pirated vhs off of ebay about 4 years ago and it retained all the sense of wonder that I recalled as a child.

I really need to get this, I bought some pirated vhs off of ebay about 4 years ago and it retained all the sense of wonder that I recalled as a child.

Really though, anyone in two minds about watching this series again should know that this is the consensus of those who have. If anything, it's better than when you first watched it, depending on when you did, of course: I saw this when I was 6 or 7 and after watching it more recently, it was much easier to appreciate the level of care they'd taken in making it a continuous, flowing piece of amazing.

AMAZING.

Really though, anyone in two minds about watching this series again should know that this is the consensus of those who have. If anything, it's better than when you first watched it, depending on when you did, of course: I saw this when I was 6 or 7 and after watching it more recently, it was much easier to appreciate the level of care they'd taken in making it a continuous, flowing piece of amazing.

AMAZING.

i bought a dvd set from ebay about 2 years ago and watched it start to finish

and it has stood the test of time pretty well

i will be buying it when the price becomes reasonable

Na you see.

A few years ago when we were still at uni, Asura managed to get a copy of MSOG burnt on some disc from some bloke who did it for people who wanted it, and for some reason wasnt getting into any trouble. Only watched a couple of episodes. I wasnt sure if I had seen it as a child, I recognised the theme tune but when that opening sequence came on, the golden bird and the black haired boy brought the memories flooding back. We both doubted there would be a proper remastered dvd release but the small chance it did, we would definatly buy it and watch it together.

Has anyone got theirs in the post yet? I want it nooooooooooooow!

I brought some VCD's from eBay several years back, but this is a really nice boxset to have. You get some postcards, a poster and a synopsis of each episode in the booklet. Very nicely put together. The show holds up really well to this day.

I hope that the CG movie is good (though the fact that it's from the maker of Inspector Gadget doesn't bode too well).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mysteriou...Gold_%28film%29

Watched the first two episodes so far, and enjoying it. The music (not just the opening theme) is fantastic. Not as good as Ulysses, obviously, but still pretty damn great. Some lovely moments in the show so far, like when the ship is accompanied by a school of whales.

Nicely trippy in places - Estoban had a mad dream sequence at one point.

Also, I forgot the closing credits animations - very graphical and nicely done.

And I haven't been able to get the theme tune out of my head for days :)