Most beautiful piece of music you've ever heard?

Okotta

Page 3, page 7. And a seeming consensus on true piano renditions rather than your orchestral / advertisement / ambient dance theft.

Did you actually read my post? I mentioned it being played solely with the piano, and then stated that I wasn't sure if I'd linked a good version or not as I was at work. Dear me.

If you posted it earlier and I missed it then I would have apologised were it not for your rudeness, hence I'm keeping that apology now. I'm going to put it in my apology box.

Think I posted these the last time this thread came around:-

- stunning contrast of subtle and powerful, I can't think of another rock song I know with such a brilliantly encapsulated sense of dynamics.

My Dying Bride - The Cry of Mankind - doom metal done properly, relentlessly bleak but somehow cathartic for totally embracing it.

Faure's Requiem - very different to some of the other well known requiems, Faure accepted death as an inevitable part of life so decided not to write something dreary and sorrowful.

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis - Vaughn Williams (

) - I can't do it justice in words, truly genius string orchestration. If I ever wrote anything close to this good I could die happy the next day.

- probably mentioned already as it's incredibly famous.

Can't remember specific pieces off the top of my head but some Palestrina belongs in here too.

Just reminded me to dig out the Angel and the Dark river and give it a spin. I remember getting into MDB years and years ago. I got a T-shirt before I'd even heard them as I knew I would love them :)

Anyway - I'd add 'for you' and 'for my fallen angel' to that!

I have a very deep affection for the Cocteaus, something which has manifested itself in the form of tapes and CDs being played to death or failing to show up after repeated lends. It would be Bluebell Knoll or Victorialand that first won me over in the late Eighties, after which I just kept grabbing sessions and stuff. These old tracks still take me back to stoned evenings spent in student digs with good friends. I'm hopelessly uncritical and untrustworthy when it comes to their output for that very reason.

Did you actually read my post? I mentioned it being played solely with the piano, and then stated that I wasn't sure if I'd linked a good version or not as I was at work. Dear me.

If you posted it earlier and I missed it then I would have apologised were it not for your rudeness, hence I'm keeping that apology now. I'm going to put it in my apology box.

:)

That wasn't rudeness, you silly ass, that was solidarity. I was indeed pointing out that you had failed to notice more than one previous post about Clair de Lune, stumbling in loudly as you did with your fatal opening gambit of "I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Claire de Lune fwah fwah fwah" ten years too late. And by the sounds of it, you *still* haven't bothered to read the goddamn thread. But I was also agreeing with your preference for a decent piano rendition, only to be challenged on the assertion by Ravern. Do you then step in and side with me? No. It is many days before you reappear out of the clouds as if one of their vaporous brethren, purely to castigate me on a thoroughly mistaken premise, before retreating to your ethereal realm where posts are presumably as vague as gauze and a thread is too fine to follow from such heavenly distance.

Tch, honestly.

it's a b-side from ash's 'envy' single, disc 2 i think. you've never heard it because it's pretty... it's an old irish poem made song.

apt because, well... women, y'know.

I do...and it being a b-side to envy would explain it. No-one ever told me there was anything good involved with that particular release :lol:

Well, if that piano intro doesn't owe something to the Gymnopedies...

Scrabbel's cover of Sometimes by My Bloody Valentine. Absolutely beautiful.

That's a tremendous cover, and sent me off on one of those Youtube meanders in search of the record collection of the younger me. BUT: are they miming? At 1'54" the guy clearly loses his bow stroke, with no discernable difference in sound.

I've almost changed my mind. I will always have this on my phone. It calms me and makes me think of one of the best moments of my life when it started and when it finished. Not the song though.

http://www.seeqpod.com/search/?plid=dea33e8c16

You'll see.

Talking of Videogame music. This is a beautiful peice of music on its own but its made so much more powerful when I remember my memories of playing it for the first time and the moment associated most strongly with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UODCxAtyDo

I forgot about this thread since it got moved into the music folder, I don't usually look in here.

Anyway, some more random awesomeness...

by The Album Leaf (Yes, that's Jónsi from Sigur Rós on vocals)

by Enya

by The Polyphonic Spree (Actually quite good if you can get past their ridiculous outfits and over-the-top enthusiasm for making pretty good music)

Estrela by Yoñlu

by Joanna Newsom (I don't care that you hate her singing, the way she plays that harp is just magical)

I think one of the most beautiful pieces of modern music I've heard is Death In Vegas' "Dirge".

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuFSblQkPMY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuFSblQkPMY</a>

It's fantastic.

I bought that Levis music album solely for that song because I couldn't find it anywhere else.

And seeing as Enya has already been mentioned, I was always partial to a bit Orinoco Flow... shame/10.

My, Dirge is really good :D

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis - Vaughn Williams (
) - I can't do it justice in words, truly genius string orchestration. If I ever wrote anything close to this good I could die happy the next day.

Yes, this is absolutely amazing. The most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard