Andreas Katsulas 

Jeff Conaway 

Michael O'Hare 

Jerry Doyle 

Stephen Furst 

Zathras 

Mira Furlan 

All by 65.   Dr Franklin was 44.

Viz once did a joke segment on The Curse of Dad's Army, but B5 seems genuinely cursed.   

6 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

So that's 

Richard Biggs 

Andreas Katsulas 

Jeff Conaway 

Michael O'Hare 

Jerry Doyle 

Stephen Furst 

Zathras 

Mira Furlan 

Viz once did a joke segment on The Curse of Dad's Army, but B5 seems genuinely cursed.   

I think there are a few production members who have also sadly passed:(

6 hours ago, Don Wiskerando said:

So that's 

Richard Biggs 

Andreas Katsulas 

Jeff Conaway 

Michael O'Hare 

Jerry Doyle 

Stephen Furst 

Zathras 

Mira Furlan 

I had no idea half of those had passed. That's quite sad and scary at the same time.

18 hours ago, AK Bell said:

As my watch through comes to an end, I notice Amazon Video have switched over to the nicer looking 4:3 :/ 

Having just finished a research up to the end of series 4, I've gone back to some favourite and the difference is astonishing. 

Even my wife, who has traditionally laughed at the effects, has said that they are now actually decent.

2 hours ago, Don Wiskerando said:

Yep.  I'd bought them before and watched in 16:9.   All of my purchases are now 4:3 and the images are sharp as a pin. The difference is night and day.

Very tempted to purchase them now then. I have the DVD set but this will probably be a nicer rewatch. (And I won't have to get up to change discs).

How about the TV movies though? I assume The Gathering is included as it was technically the first ep. It's mainly In The Beginning that I would consider essential viewing with the rest of the series.

Just now, Benny said:

Very tempted to purchase them now then. I have the DVD set but this will probably be a nicer rewatch. (And I won't have to get up to change discs).

How about the TV movies though? I assume The Gathering is included as it was technically the first ep. It's mainly In The Beginning that I would consider essential viewing with the rest of the series.

I can't tell you about the movies sorry. I've never seen them other than The Gathering which is included as episode 0 of series 1 (and is back to its 4:3 glory).

Just now, Don Wiskerando said:

I can't tell you about the movies sorry. I've never seen them other than The Gathering which is included as episode 0 of series 1 (and is back to its 4:3 glory).

Then I highly recommend watching In the Beginning regardless. It's absolutely top tier Babylon 5.

And unlike the other TV movies it massively fleshes out the world more and adds a lot to the backstory of the show. Must not be watched until after Season 4 for those new to the show though.

On 23/01/2021 at 16:20, Don Wiskerando said:

Recommendation taken.  I've bought it added it to the watchlist.  It is 16:9 but I don't know if that was how it was intended.

Will watch later.

I thoroughly enjoyed that, especially filling in some of the loose ends regarding twenty years in the future.

I think that it is still in terrible zoom-o-vision though.

Going between this and the updated series has once again highlighted that, as it aired, the series never looked as bad as it's reputation would have you believe.

I actually bought the new HD remaster or upscale or whatever it is. I've never really watched Babylon 5 and had my eye on the box set for years but held off due to the poor quality. I'm about ten episodes deep into the first series, it's a bit of a mixed bag. Does Londo's hair get any better? 

It does get better (the show, not Londo's hair), although the first season definitely has some very high points. Did you watch The Gathering first? It's the pilot, but I think it's included as a bonus episode or something on Amazon's version.

Babylon 5 is structured unlike any other show I can think of, with seasons planned like chapters of a book rather than, well, seasons of a TV show. The first season is the introduction, and it's there to set the stage for what comes next. That plan didn't quite survive the realities of TV, with cancellations/uncancellations and issues with actors messing with things a little, but for the most part it resulted in something quite unique.

Season 4 essentially rushing the ending and then having a season 5 granted at the last minute hurt the show a bit but s1-4 and a fair chunk of S5 are still some of the best TV ever made. 

I did watch The Gathering. The picture quality was atrocious and half the characters didn't make the full series. TBH I didn't think that much of it. There have been some decent episodes in S1, the one that explored Sinclair's experiences in the war was pretty good. Chekov from the original Star Trek turned up as a psychic copper named Alfred Bester in another. I'll definitely stick with it. It kind of reminds me a little bit of the first series of DS9. 

4 hours ago, SM47 said:

I actually bought the new HD remaster or upscale or whatever it is. I've never really watched Babylon 5 and had my eye on the box set for years but held off due to the poor quality. I'm about ten episodes deep into the first series, it's a bit of a mixed bag. Does Londo's hair get any better? 

Not that season 1 is bad, but it's definitely setting the scene for the actual story, as @Mogster says. It ramps up from the start of season 2 onwards and just gets better and better. At it's best, it's spectacularly good.

It sounds like you're already watching it in release order, but in case not:

1. Babylon 5: The Gathering (22nd Feb 1993)
2. Babylon 5: Season 1-4 (26th Jan 1994-27th Oct 1997)
3. In The Beginning (film, 4th Jan 1998)
4. Babylon 5: Season 5 (21st Jan 1998)
5. Thirdspace* (film, 19th Jul 1998)
6. The River of Souls (film, 8th Nov 1998)
7. A Call to Arms (film, 3rd Jan 1999)
8. Crusade: Season 1 (9th Jun 1999)
9. The Legend of the Rangers (film, 19th Jan 2002)
10. The Lost Tales: Voices in the Dark (31st Jul 2007)

I can't remember if Crusade is actually worth watching, I think I've only seen it when it first aired.

I've just reached the

Spoiler

Markab pandemic

episode of season 2. Christ it's depressing watching that now!

From what little I can remember of Crusade, I wouldn't bother. A Call To Arms was good though.

Legend of the Rangers is also a waste of time, being a pilot for a spin-off show that never happened, and also terrible, but it's so laughably bad that it's probably worth watching regardless.

I don't think I ever got around to watching the Lost Tales!

10 minutes ago, Mogster said:

From what little I can remember of Crusade, I wouldn't bother. A Call To Arms was good though.

Legend of the Rangers is also a waste of time, being a pilot for a spin-off show that never happened, and also terrible, but it's so laughably bad that it's probably worth watching regardless.

I don't think I ever got around to watching the Lost Tales!

Crusade and Rangers defininately aren't worth the time.

It's been a while since I've seen them, but The Lost Tales were likeable self contained mini episodes.  

Oh no, I was quite looking forward to getting to Legend of the Raiders as I've never seen it! I vaguely remember Lost Tales: Voices in the Dark being quite good, Sheridan's in it isn't he?

Can't wait til I get to In The Beginning, I lost my shit the first time I watched that.

Crusade was a struggle to watch at the time, though perhaps the virus angle will resonate with our Covid times.

I quite like Legends of the Rangers (possibly more than Third Space, River of Souls, and Call to Arms). The story is delivered at a reasonable pace, with a good mix of humour and action (with the exception of *that* scene). It's also the last opportunity to see Andreas Katsulas as G'Kar.

20 minutes ago, knightbeat said:

Crusade was a struggle to watch at the time, though perhaps the virus angle will resonate with our Covid times.

I quite like Legends of the Rangers (possibly more than Third Space, River of Souls, and Call to Arms). The story is delivered at a reasonable pace, with a good mix of humour and action (with the exception of *that* scene). It's also the last opportunity to see Andreas Katsulas as G'Kar.

Maybe I'm confusing Legends with a Crusade episode?   Honestly, it's all so long ago that I saw them!

The tragic thing with Crusade is that the concept, with JMS at his B5 prime and with a network that wasn't awful, would be a cracking show.