17 minutes ago, Hexx said:

What the fuck is happening there :lol:

Well, obviously...

Spoiler

It's a highly advanced weapons interface that that translates punches and kicks into weapons fire from their ship. What you're seeing is a character suspended in a holodeck type thing as I recall, in place of the ship in reality.

Why anyone would ever design such an interface is beyond me, but there you go.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

Well, obviously...

Hide contents

It's a highly advanced weapons interface that that translates punches and kicks into weapons fire from their ship. What you're seeing is a character suspended in a holodeck type thing as I recall, in place of the ship in reality.

Why anyone would ever design such an interface is beyond me, but there you go.

So many questions but mostly

Spoiler

What if she shoot punches in a direction the ship doesn't have guns/weapons? Although the model makes it look like the ship shoots in every direction no guns needed?

What if she gets tired? I'm tired just watching her....

I think "that scene" would have went the way of the Enterprise splitting into 2 in TNG. We just haven't got the time for this shit every episode. Let's pretend it's not an option.

I enjoyed Legend of the Rangers. It was fun and I would have happily watched more of them. 

I tried with Crusade and kept dropping off despite there being few episodes. I can't pick out anything particularly bad about it though. The stories are fine and has a good cast. Maybe just a it boring? That said, I'd never realised there was a set up film before it so maybe I need that to be interested. 

Lost Tales was bloody awful. 

6 minutes ago, layten said:

Apparently rips of the redone Amazon 4:3 have appeared.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.fd12229e9597df1f9236b893ff1286d7.png

:hat:

Is it the Amazon or HBO Max ones?

And if it's the latter, what would one "ask for" in the "shop" that they were looking to "buy them" from?

29 minutes ago, PK said:

Is it the Amazon or HBO Max ones?

And if it's the latter, what would one "ask for" in the "shop" that they were looking to "buy them" from?

Seems it (it being News to a Group of people) grabbed the Amazon version, oh well, I'll point it at the HBO one tonight.

Edit: Hmm Looks like this new Amazon version is also the remastered one.

Sorry, ignore me @layten - I thought the Amazon ones were just the DVD rips, and it was specifically HBO Max who had the remaster. As you say, it's both

https://www.space.com/babylon-5-remastered-streaming-amazon-itunes-hbo-max

J Michael Straczynski's epic sci-fi saga "Babylon 5" has finally received a long overdue upgrade to HD-of-sorts and is now available as a digital download from Amazon and iTunes where available globally, and on HBO Max. 

The new "Babylon 5" update is not quite as comprehensive as the overhaul that "Star Trek: The Next Generation" received, but it's far better than the DVD quality we've been forced to watch until now. And it's probably the best we'll get.

According to Warner Brothers, "Babylon 5 Remastered" has been scanned from the original camera negative. The film sequences were scanned in 4K and then "finished," or downscaled, back to HD, with a dirt and scratch clean-up, as well as color correction. The show's CGI and composite sequences, meanwhile, have been digitally upscaled to HD with only some minor tweaks where absolutely necessary. Tragically, the remaster retains a 4:3 aspect ratio — not 16:9 — even though the show was filmed for widescreen and released on DVD in widescreen. 

"Buying" them now. Can't wait, the quality in the fan re-encode I mentioned earlier in the thread has been a bit all over the place in season 3.

4 minutes ago, PK said:

Sorry, ignore me - I thought the Amazon ones were just the DVD rips, and it was specifically HBO Max who had the remaster. As you say, it's both

https://www.space.com/babylon-5-remastered-streaming-amazon-itunes-hbo-max

It rather shows up Paramount/CBS for not even bothering to doing the same type of treatment for DS9 and Voyager. 

A TNG level remaster would, of course, be great but both of those shoes really could use any help they could get with trying to bring them into HD. 

1 minute ago, McCoy said:

It rather shows up Paramount/CBS for not even bothering to doing the same type of treatment for DS9 and Voyager. 

Not worth it now we have B5. DS9 was always tepid, boring and safe by comparison.  :twisted:

I'm onto series 2 now, I thought series 1 was a mixed bag really. Some good episodes (the one where Lennier and Londo hung out, going to strip clubs etc) but a lot of absolute filler dogshit like Grail. 

So far series 2 seems markedly better (the technomages were super 90s cringe though), but they've spoiled the opening theme tune a bit. 1st series theme had a tape saturated synth modulation thang going on whereas 2nd has opted for generic sci fi fanfare sterility. TBF I'd pay good money for a total rescore using decent analogue synths run through a tascam portastudio or something.

The theme tune changes every season, along with the whole intro. They're designed to suit each season's place in the story. :) The first is the only tune I can remember though, oddly, so maybe it was the best.

7 hours ago, Mogster said:

The theme tune changes every season, along with the whole intro. They're designed to suit each season's place in the story. :) The first is the only tune I can remember though, oddly, so maybe it was the best.

Definitely. The theme tune got progressively worse. 

On 11/02/2021 at 10:42, Eighthours said:

Yeah, it was the Battle of the Line theme. Good stuff.

I had to rewatch the S3 credits.  It's the dramatic parpy  bit before the logo that's awful, but the post logo music was good!  Shame about the cheesemongous headshots.  But then what's B5 without some cheesiness.

25 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I had to rewatch the S3 credits.  It's the dramatic parpy  bit before the logo that's awful, but the post logo music was good!  Shame about the cheesemongous headshots.  But then what's B5 without some cheesiness.

What always got me about the S3 credits was that the actors didn't all do the head turn. You've got some who do it slowly and dramatically (Katsulas, the ultimate pro, for example), others who do a very quick kinda half turn, and others who don't turn at all! This is the kind of thing that irks me that 99.9% of people would never notice as they have much more important things to do. Watch the credits again, though - you won't be able to unsee it now. Just give everyone the same direction, FFS!

Ok so Kenan's Dad from Kenan and Kel showed up as a cigar smoking Earth Force grunt billeted on the station under the command of the Detective from The Terminator and I kind of love the show now. 

1 minute ago, SM47 said:

Ok so Kenan's Dad from Kenan and Kel showed up as a cigar smoking Earth Force grunt billeted on the station under the command of the Detective from The Terminator and I kind of love the show now. 

That’s a fine episode. 

Just got to the War Without End two-parter in series 3.

Spoiler

I don't know how much of this JMS had actually planned out when he wrote the original Babylon 4 episode from series 1, but he does a great job making it seem like it was all of it!

44 minutes ago, PK said:

Just got to the War Without End two-parter in series 3.

Hide contents

I don't know how much of this JMS had actually planned out when he wrote the original Babylon 4 episode from series 1, but he does a great job making it seem like it was all of it!

Is that the one with

Spoiler

Sinclair?

If so yes, it was planned from the start. :)

Spoiler

It was obviously meant to be a longer arc for Sinclair to get him to this point, with his departure being the first major hitch to the story, but I'm glad they got him back for a bit of closure.

14 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Is that the one with

Reveal hidden contents

Sinclair?

If so yes, it was planned from the start. :)

Reveal hidden contents

It was obviously meant to be a longer arc for Sinclair to get him to this point, with his departure being the first major hitch to the story, but I'm glad they got him back for a bit of closure.

Yes, that's the one! So good. The only thing that I think didn't land was the

Spoiler

explanation for Sinclair being old & grey when he's appearing on Babylon 4 in the spacesuit; the tachyon field doing it to him every time they jumped was less satisfying than it just being him from many years in the future, and it sort of sucked the gravitas out of his "I tried to warn them, but it all happened just the way I remembered it" line, 

but everything else worked perfectly!

I'm getting tantalisingly close to series 4 and am concerned I will be physically unable to stop watching that when it starts.