finely grated lemon zest of whole lemon

1 cup arborio rice

1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock

175g (1 bunch) asparagus, finely sliced except for tips

35g (1/3 cup) grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve

sea salt

freshly ground black pepper

METHOD

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large heavy based frypan over high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside.

Add remaining olive oil and onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add garlic and lemon zest and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add rice and stir to coat in oil. Add asparagus and then boiling stock, stirring occasionally until fully absorbed.

Add chicken, stir in parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with extra parmesan.

I make it with leftover roast chicken, after reading about it in one of Nigel Slater's books.

You need:

Arborio Rice

Onion

Celery (optional, but I like it) de-stringed

Garlic

Rosemary or Thyme (again, optional)

Chicken Stock

Chicken

Butter

Parmesan

Salt & Pepper

Wine or Vermouth (optional)

Parsley

I also like to use cannellini or Borlotti beans

Get your stock on. If using ready made just keep it warm in a pan, or if making from leftover roast chicken simmer the carcass with a bay leaf, some peppercorns, an onion, a carrot and some celery, then strain after 45 minutes and keep warm.

Very finely dice the onion and celery. Crush the garlic. Gently fry ("Sweat") in some olive oil and a knob of butter. Add the herbs, finely chopped, if using.

Add the rice, dry, into the pan. Stir for a minute or two to coat the grains.

Turn the heat up. Add a glass of wine if using. It should sizzle. Turn the heat back down, stir gently until wine is absorbed. Add a pinch of salt.

Add a ladle of stock. Stir gently and continuously. As each ladle is absorbed, add another.

When the rice is looking nearly done, add your chicken to warm through, and your beans, if using.

When the rice is done (could take up to 45 minutes, or as little as 25, depending on various things), turn off the heat, add a generous knob of butter, a big handful of parmesan, and some chopped parsley. Season.

Put a lid on it and leave for 5 minutes. Stir, check seasoning, serve with more parmesan on top.

Have you cooked risotto before Oli?

Once you've got the knack you can massively vary the ingredients and it's a very satisfying thing to know how to do.

I tried once to make one with minced beef, about 6 years ago at Uni before I could actually cook at all. It was a disaster.

If I were starting with raw chicken would I cook that first and then remove from teh pan?

I made one last night and it was really nice.

Got the recipe from Chickenout.tv

Meal two: chicken risotto

If you use a good, tasty chicken stock to make a risotto, you need very few other ingredients to make a meal of it.

Serves 6

1.5 litres chicken stock

80g butter

1 small onion, very finely diced

400g risotto rice

1 glass white wine

grated parmesan cheese and a little more butter, to finish

salt and freshly ground pepper

Other ingredients: choose from

about 200g peas or petits pois (defrosted if frozen)

about 200g sweetcorn kernels

about 300g mushrooms (fresh, dried or a mixture)

100-150g bacon, cut into little scraps

anything else that takes your fancy – including chopped, leftover chicken

Bring the stock to a simmer in a pan, and keep it simmering while you cook the rice.

Heat the butter in a large pan and add the onion (if you want to use bacon, add this along with the onion). Cook gently for 10 minutes or so until soft but not coloured. Add the rice and cook for just a minute, stirring well to coat it in the butter. Add the wine and cook for a few minutes until it has been absorbed by the rice.

Now start adding the hot stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring now and then and adding a fresh ladleful of stock once the last has been absorbed. The rice should be cooked (tender but still just slightly al dente), and the risotto at the right soft, moist consistency after about 18 minutes. If you’re adding peas or sweetcorn, do so after the rice has been cooking for about 10 minutes. If you want to add mushrooms, sauté them in separate pan and add, with any juices, when the rice has almost finished cooking. Leftover chicken can go in just before the end too – just make sure it gets thoroughly reheated.

When the risotto is cooked, turn off the heat, dot a little butter all over the surface, and sprinkle with a little parmesan. Cover and leave for 2-3 minutes, then stir the melted butter and cheese into the rice. Season to taste then serve, in warmed dishes, with more parmesan.

I'd love to make this (or, more realistically get someone to make it for me):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database...tto_87369.shtml

lolz that at the top that the preparation time is "more than 2 hours" or something, considering it looks like it would take the best part of a week...

From a more useful point of view, remember that a risotto is about rice and stock, everything else is trimmings. Hence, for a really good risotto, you need a really good stock. I go to the butchers and pick up about 3-4 chicken carcasses for free, make a pan full of stock, then reduce down by half. I can't describe the wonder of the chickeniness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry to bump this, just a quick question for the culinary wizards here.

Do I NEED risotto rice to make risotto? All I've got in is basmati and was hoping to use that if I make it tomorrow.

Thanks!

Tangentially related, is it legal to serve paella with a long-grain rice? I was served such a thing in a Dundee eaterie but two weeks ago, and I'm curious as to whether my quiet indignation was justified.

Yes, you need risotto rice.

I disagree. You can use any rice you fancy. You won't get rissotto as such, but you'll get a lovely savoury rice. Don't stir it about all the time if you're using basmati. The result will be fluffier than using a risotto rice and quicker.

Ladies, ladies! You can both have me!!

Err... So anyway I went to Sainsbury's before and they didn't have risotto rice in a normal packet like you'd find basmati or long grain, just in a box that was pre-flavoured so I decided against buying it. Think I'm gonna go ahead with making it with basmati for tonight if only to get the hang of making it, but I'll definitely be on the look out for some good risotto rice. Thanks guys. :(

Ladies, ladies! You can both have me!!

Err... So anyway I went to Sainsbury's before and they didn't have risotto rice in a normal packet like you'd find basmati or long grain, just in a box that was pre-flavoured so I decided against buying it. Think I'm gonna go ahead with making it with basmati for tonight if only to get the hang of making it, but I'll definitely be on the look out for some good risotto rice. Thanks guys. :(

It's may not be actually labelled as 'risotto rice'. What you're after is arborio or carnaroli rice. There's a third one but I can't remember the name.

The first meal my girlfriend ever cooked me was Lemon Chicken & Artichoke Risotto. It is still one of the best meals I have ever had. I'll try and find the recipe or ask her where she got it from. It is simply to die for.

I don't recall ever doing a lemon chicken risotto on here.

For chicken risotto I usually add finely chopped rosemary at the beginning (when you're softening your onions etc), then later add cold roast chicken and sometimes either cannellini or borlotti beans. Plenty of freshly chopped parsley, butter and parmesan at the end to finish.