IGNORED

Grand Designs

Chris303

I think the best one ever was the one in some forest in England where almost the entire house (from porch to plug fittings etc etc) was made out of wood.

Grand Designs sometimes looks a bit like a reality TV show, but it's some of the best TV I've seen recently. I think mainly for the presenter - he's totally cool.

• 5 months later...

So, the new series started last night. Awesome stuff.

The best thing about last nights house was the view though, by a massive margin.

I wasn't too keen on the building, and thought the interior was a little tacky (cream leather and massive aquariums * :().

Also, it seems More 4 are repeating a load of old episodes at the moment too (for those who don't own the DVDs).

* To be fair, it was actually one of the least tacky aquariums I've ever seen though.

Nice outside. Looked like a showroom inside, don't know how they could live like that...

EDIT: PLUS, what's the point of it if you don't find out how much it costs? All you got to know where the costs of a couple of items (like the £10k staircase!), and they just teased you with what disease he had*

*I'm assuming I didn't miss him saying what it was

Enjoyed it.

But I wish they'd give you an estimate of the cost, or a valuation.

Plus they didn't really show you round the house fully, we saw one of the bedrooms, which was a shame. Still ace house.

The bit when Kevin went on about the view from the bath tub was comedy genius as well, he seemed to dig himself into a hole and then take it on for too long, absolutely brilliant.

Nice outside. Looked like a showroom inside, don't know how they could live like that...

EDIT: PLUS, what's the point of it if you don't find out how much it costs? All you got to know where the costs of a couple of items (like the £10k staircase!), and they just teased you with what disease he had*

*I'm assuming I didn't miss him saying what it was

Yes they just kept going on about his bowel condition, which if they were going to have mentioned it they may as well have said what it was. It seemed like a somewhat forced way to add some pressure to the build (or our view of it), seeing as there weren't the usual budget or time constraints or unexpected problems that most seem to have.

My guess for his condition was crohns disease, which could be affected by stress, not only that but in some of it his cheeks appeared to be quite puffed up, which would be a possible side-effect of taking steroids for it.

I like the way they met up once they'd moved in and there was another suprise (the baby) which they would obviously have known about for many months.

I don't think they ever said what his job was just that he was a businessman.

So altogether, pretty light on full on details but still very enjoyable.

Oh and Kevin wins "WORST HAT EVAR" for that ridiculous thing he had on his head for most of the program...

My guess for his condition was crohns disease, which could be affected by stress, not only that but in some of it his cheeks appeared to be quite puffed up, which would be a possible side-effect of taking steroids for it.

That's what I thought as well, would still have been nice to be told given how often they talked about it...

Not exactly grand designs, but did anyone watch the houses abroad program, or whatever it was called on before?

The couple in Portugal were stupid, thinking that some exception should be made for them, because they had built an extra house and pool without obtaining planning permission.

Not exactly grand designs, but did anyone watch the houses abroad program, or whatever it was called on before?

The couple in Portugal were stupid, thinking that some exception should be made for them, because they had built an extra house and pool without obtaining planning permission.

I was screaming at the telly, they were absolute fucking pig-ignorant, thick as shit morons.

Kevin McCloud is a legend. I really like the show and his voice is so calming, like valium while you watch.

I like the way he always mucks in and gets his hands dirty, top bloke I'm sure

What annoys me about Grand Designs is the dickheads building the place who think they know better than the architect and sack/ignore them in an attempt to save cash.

What annoys me about Grand Designs is the dickheads building the place who think they know better than the architect and sack/ignore them in an attempt to save cash.

The best was that loony woman building a mock Georgian (or something) manor. It was way back in the first series I think.

She ended up sacking so many people (because she knew better) that by the end of the show you got the feeling she was going to have start doing the actually manual labour herself as she had nobody left working for her.

The house was vile too. If you want a Georgian manor buy an old one and do it up, don't try and build a fucking replica, and especially don't assume you know better than your architect, and the Georgians, when it comes to the correct architectural style.

• 10 months later...

It did look stunning when it was done but how did they not end up burying that £20,000 archeologist?

I think the English Heritage people came off pretty badly there. Here's a guy who started off spending £400,000 to restore an absolutely trashed rubble pile of a castle that was just getting worse and worse, yet they seem to make it difficult for them to work on the building.

I couldn't believe that bit where the internal walls collapsed and English Heritage made him reapply for permission to work on the property because the structure had changed!

I did hear it correctly didn't I? When they were digging those trenches for the heating system they had to pay £20,000 a day for that archeologist to check they weren't destroying ancient remains? I'm always amazed with the way they play with money on the show - they started with a budget of £400,000 but ended up spending close to £750,00!

It did look stunning when it was done but how did they not end up burying that £20,000 archeologist?

I think the English Heritage people came off pretty badly there. Here's a guy who started off spending £400,000 to restore an absolutely trashed rubble pile of a castle that was just getting worse and worse, yet they seem to make it difficult for them to work on the building.

I couldn't believe that bit where the internal walls collapsed and English Heritage made him reapply for permission to work on the property because the structure had changed!

I did hear it correctly didn't I? When they were digging those trenches for the heating system they had to pay £20,000 a day for that archeologist to check they weren't destroying ancient remains? I'm always amazed with the way they play with money on the show - they started with a budget of £400,000 but ended up spending close to £750,00!

It was stunning house once complete wasnt it, would be interested to know a valuation of the finished property.

Couldnt agree more about the Heritage people. They said that nothing was ever going to be done to the building and so it was just going to be left to rot and collapse till there was nothing left. Along comes a guy willing to take this project on and they put nothing but obsticles in his path.

To me it seemed like they werent interested in the site until they realised they could get some money out of it.

As for the archeologist, the total cost for the whole project for them was £20,000 not £20,000 per day. Still bloody expensive though.