rllmuk
Chris303

Grand Designs

2 minutes ago, superfunk said:

I'm an admirer of Tadao Ando's work. His use of raw concrete has resulted in some breathtaking beautiful buildings. I kind of see what the GD guy was going for with his house, but it failed because of the execution. The forms are lumpen, unfinished, and too rough. And that 'upcycled' kitchen was just hideous. 

His church is quite cool imo:

image.png.8812bd34763624311fb1b5e43fc96aa6.png

• Upvote 3

Looking forward to watching this one now, just to see how hideous it is!

The one that sticks in my mind as terrible was a place in London where they developed downwards, into the dark. They kept insisting having a cavernous space in the bowels of the earth could be lit naturally using light tunnels and mirrors.

Of course, that's bollocks and it was an expensive tomb. There was even a swimming pool room, which was like something out of The Shape of Water

Hope I can find it on All4, would love to remind myself how dank and claustrophobic it was :D

• Upvote 1

The worst of recent years I can remember is that guy a couple of years back who built what was basically a shed in the woods surrounded by trees and then put next to no windows in the place.

That and the airport terminal the weird cleaning company bloke made. Wasn't so much a house as a car showroom with beds.

9 hours ago, superfunk said:

I'm an admirer of Tadao Ando's work. His use of raw concrete has resulted in some breathtakingly beautiful buildings. I kind of see what the GD guy was going for with his house, but it failed because of the execution. The forms are lumpen, unfinished, and too rough. And that 'upcycled' kitchen was just hideous. 

It wasn't even upcycled, they just chucked a load of old mismatched lab furniture in an area and called it a kitchen. Total nightmare fuel.

Anyone watched this series where everyone is building a house on the same street? 

So many big tall sheds! The one made out of boxes looked like the back of a cheap soap opera set. The other one in that episode was great though, beautiful staircase and actually looked and felt like a home. 

I’ve been watching. They’re all going for simple easy to built stuff as they’re working with tiny budgets so they do end up being similar. 

The old old lady who did it by herself was pretty sad to watch as her friends basically left her to do it while they finished their own one off, I was glad she finished and I though hers was nicer than her so called friends one. 

Anyone watching the new series?

First episode, couple build on a cliff edge in southwest Scotland. The moment with the glaziers might be the most tense moment of Grand Designs ever. Nice enough place in the end, though not sure I 'got' some of it - the kitchen seemed ludicrously overpriced.

Second episode, couple with too much money make hideous circular 'community' of buildings that look like a business park masquerading as a house. Husband looks like he's sending himself to an early grave. Horrible. Also there was something... off... about the wife, dunno if it was just us seeing something that wasn't there.

Third episode, couple build a family home to cater for husband's wheelchair. Nice enough build, a modern barn. Wasn't to my taste inside (love the kitchen mind) but fuck he looked spiritually broken within minutes of things starting. Understandably, but still... Guess you have to take your hat off to both of them.

Next week looks like a disaster waiting to happen... No way is it finished by the episode end.

• Upvote 1

The round buildings looked a nightmare to build, and you're right about the moment with the glaziers. Very expensive if you drop the windows. 

I’ve only seen the first two so far but didn’t really like either. 

The first episode had a classic moment when the wife had been working in the US and comes back for the first time in ages to see the rocks the husband has placed to stop his dogs escaping into the roof (I know, right?) and flat out tells him she hates it and she didn’t think they’d be living in a cave. :lol:

The round house was big but that’s about all it had going for it. Having an indoor pool in an outbuilding defeats the point somewhat no? As for the “music room” wtf was that all about? A fake recording studio for the wife to sing in???

I’ve been rinsing the other C4 house shows while we’ve been doing our own house project. Ugly house to lovely house is worth a watch with George Clarke as is old house new home. Building the Dream seems like it’s trying to be the new Grand Designs but isn’t anywhere near as slick.  

Well, I wasn't wrong with this week's being unfinished, but there's caveats to it. 

Remarkable that its as finished as it is, for the money they've spent. You can tell it's built to a budget - the finish, materials in some places. But the scale of it and what is there belies how much money is in it. Not really to my taste, I'm not a fan of the more industrial open plan look, and the room 'pods' dropped in look genuinely bad imo, but again... It's a fucking huge place made on far too small a budget by a bloke on his own for the most part. You have to tip your hat to him.

Quite liked this weeks. I expected to hate it but it turned out fairly well.

Kevin seemed to spend the entire episode trying to cause a divorce mind. He may as well have turned to the wife throughout it all and said 'well, what really annoys you about your husband? And do the annoyances outweigh the good? They do, don't they...?'. It was bizarre. Every chance, poking away at the obvious stressors in the relationship and the build. 'Do you have any say in the house?' etc etc.

Yeah Grand Designs bingo has been a bit of a bust this series.

Surprise pregnancy hasn't been on the menu with mostly older couples featuring this series, ludicrously extravagant 'research' trips haven't happened (the property dev heading for an early grave and the 'trophy wife' went to Latvia I think, but that's it) and there's been TVs in most of the builds as well.

May need an update to the categories. Serious illness. Inappropriately small budget. Money saving unskilled DIY. Hideous cladding.

• Upvote 2

A £6 million fuck up. £4 million to build, another £2 million to get it finished. Ouch. The smaller build is love though.

This week's episode was something else man. One of my favourites, delightful to see a wanker ruin his life like that.

• Upvote 2

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 20:48, Chindie said:

Quite liked this weeks. I expected to hate it but it turned out fairly well.

Kevin seemed to spend the entire episode trying to cause a divorce mind. He may as well have turned to the wife throughout it all and said 'well, what really annoys you about your husband? And do the annoyances outweigh the good? They do, don't they...?'. It was bizarre. Every chance, poking away at the obvious stressors in the relationship and the build. 'Do you have any say in the house?' etc etc.

Was that the leukemia patient with the house made of four sheds? I couldn't stand him. Feel so sorry for the wife. And all the construction workers.

The finished house looked... fine, I guess. Underwhelming but it seems to be what they were going for.

11 hours ago, deerokus said:

This week's episode was something else man. One of my favourites, delightful to see a wanker ruin his life like that.

Glad it wasn’t just me who thought that, probably best GD ever, well best failure at least. He lost everything.

2 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Was that the leukemia patient with the house made of four sheds? I couldn't stand him. Feel so sorry for the wife. And all the construction workers.

The finished house looked... fine, I guess. Underwhelming but it seems to be what they were going for.

That's the one. I expected to hate it but it wasn't too bad in the end. It wasn't great mind either. The weird conjoined cabin look, and the hideous cladding. He was a bit... Domineering of the build whilst ignoring how liveable it was, which was odd, and I did feel sorry for the wife a bit because her concerns were completely valid and he kinda just brushed them off. And then he tried to do work himself which I understand but not only was he slowing everything down and kinda wasting the builders time, he was putting himself at risk massively.

Saying that, I still think McCloud's approach was bizarre. The audience knows there's marital tensions there, he didn't have to try to exacerbate them at every turn. It was almost like he fancied moving in on the wife.

6 hours ago, Stanley said:

It’s actually sickening how much debt he racked up.

That and that he was given permission to wreck a beautiful bit of coastline in the first place. For a vainglorious ruin.

38 minutes ago, deerokus said:

That and that he was given permission to wreck a beautiful bit of coastline in the first place. For a vainglorious ruin.

Oh god yeah, shocking, a fool and his money..

It was refreshing to see someone run out of money for once, especially on such a massive scale. Usually, they seem to mysteriously find the money to cover the escalating costs of their fanciful builds whereas, outside of the projects shown in this show, I suspect many, many builders go bust. 

It's not so much my revelling in failure, although I didn't mind seeing this week's guy ruined, it's more about managing expectations and showing the reality of dreams v RL to those inspired by these super aspirational builds. A reality check of sorts... 

The biggest tragedy of this week's episode is that the rather lovely Devon coast is now blighted with that huge, half finished, monstrosity. 

• Upvote 2

Didn’t like this weeks when it was half built... like it even less now it’s finished.... looks like a metal shed from the outside and like a giant caravan from the inside...

Just caught up on that Devon disaster and I can't recall anybody suffering for longer or paying a higher monetary or personal cost building their folly. 

I holiday a bit down in the SW and you can see the race that is on for people to build these spectacular monuments to themselves and their wealth. There is some stunning architecture going on as a result, which looks far nice than the original slightly more modest 1950s house on the site in this case, but is obviously creating a massive 2 tier economy down there.

I took no pleasure in seeing him fail, but agree with with @Mike S it's important to see one like this that does overreach as so often people get bailed out be being able to borrow more at historically low rates due to rising house values.

The record sales chap seemed incredibly gung-ho from the off, and it was never explained in detail but I suspect his budget for things like ground works flew totally in the face of professional advice, though that may have been lacking itself as the motorway bridge they had to build seemed a surprise.

Best episode in a long time.

• Upvote 2

On 09/10/2019 at 22:06, PopeSmokesDope said:

Dropped pin
Near Croyde Rd, Braunton
https://goo.gl/maps/MMuqWJSUszoaBHeK7

i know it’s wrong to revel in someone’s misfortune, but it’s kinda amusing to see someone fuck up that big...

I haven;t seen the programme yet. Is it this place?

87347766_ScreenHunter_01Oct_1713_13.thumb.jpg.49e64601d06449f38a6173dcbe32a20e.jpg

If so, i'm desperate to do some urbex around that bad boy! What a concrete monstrosity! :D