Grand Designs

Chris303

The George Clarke renovations prog on ch4 at the moment has had some decent/odd places on this series. At least they don't end with him and his hirsute gnome woodworking friend oohing and ahhing over 'genius' up cycled portaloo on wheels people plan to drive round the country and live in. 

This weeks was one of those tales nowhere near as extreme as the famous Grand Designs Devon ep above, but with some of the same hallmarks. You can buy the house now if you've got the dosh

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/124927943#/?channel=RES_NEW

• 1 month later...

New series returning this week with an episode that looks high on drama from the write up I've seen.

Think from an interview I've seen with Kevin there is a revisit episode to the big house on the Devon cliff, which last I saw still wasn't finished or sold.

23 hours ago, Gotters said:

New series returning this week with an episode that looks high on drama from the write up I've seen.

Think from an interview I've seen with Kevin there is a revisit episode to the big house on the Devon cliff, which last I saw still wasn't finished or sold.

It’s finished and up for sale.

EDIT: as reported in the post immediately before yours :)

4 minutes ago, deKay said:

It’s finished and up for sale.

EDIT: as reported in the post immediately before yours :)

Up for sale but last i’d seen he hadn’t fitted kitchens or bathrooms yet, so technically not finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone see last night's episode? Pretty underwhelming for me, buying a flat pack house just isn't the same as people building a house against adversity. The only issue they seemed to have was the whole access problem which seemed to be sorted once the couple had bunged £5K to the landowner. When it was mentioned that the landowner was concerned about their fields being destroyed I expected multiple vehicles churning up fields, not a few branched being broken and hedges having to be cut down. The show didn't seem to spend much time inside the house either, which seeing how small it was is no real surprise, and spent more time on admiring the view.

I really like it when they throw in one of these much more relatable projects from time to time - occasionally it's just good to see what can be done on a much more conservative budget than the usual, 'yeah we went 2m over budget because we just had to have the slovakian crystal marble in bathroom #6'. It clearly meant a lot to them, wasn't grossly oversized for what they needed, and is a home rather than a penis extension.

I was also fascinated with the whole construction process - that just feels like the future in terms of how much more sensible and efficient it is. Did anyone catch the name of the company - loved the whole QR code history log.

I thought the latest was an interesting show but wasn't really a Grand Design, it was suited better to that Building the Dream show on More4.

I know it's all a bit 'so what' but this show should be about the outlandish or architecturally challenging (like the bloke who dug out his own cave home with hand tools). Doesn't always equate to big bucks but needs some element of grand to it, this was nice reasonably priced house if you've got the land. Even then not sure they saved that much over building it traditionally did they ?

The system they used looked great and definitely appeared to be a great way to build more efficiently (but was it cheaper ?), I wanted to know how it felt internally, did it feel solid like a house or like walking around a big portakabin where the floor flexes a little and you are aware you aren't on concrete. 

Great ep this week, though a quite acquired taste funky end product.

Not sure if that bloke was plain weird or just an ocd perfectionist with a huge work ethic and zero tolerance for sloppy UK tradesmen. The sheer size of the plot and undertaking with just him working on site for quite a while was epic

You really notice on the aussie and even more-so kiwi grand designs how good the trades are and the pride they take in the quality of the finish.

I was pretty gripped by it but sometimes found his criticisms a bit harsh, particularly with regards to the weatherproof sealant which all bubbled; it only did that because it was left exposed for too long after he had stopped them continuing with the build. Didn’t like the way he spoke to people sometimes either. To be fair to him though he stuck with it and completed the build, and it looked fantastic. 

As somebody with some similar traits myself who found a use for them in project management I think he was a bit on the spectrum and clearly OCD, coupled with a huge determination and work ethic.

Doesn't stop him being a cock as well but I recognised some of the behaviours right from the off.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2022 at 21:55, Mr Do 71 said:

Didn’t like this one, it looks like it belongs on an industrial estate. Plus their view from their bedroom is half obscured by the roof of the building that sticks out.

100% agree with this.

They'd clearly dressed it the week before and had maybe spent a night or two in it, but the general feeling of the entire house was pretty cold and rubbish. I get what they were going for - converted barn house type thing - but it didn't feel like it was a house of particular architectural merit beyond having a very complicated roof.

From the outside it continued the modern trend of looking like it could either be a house or a modern office development. The Old People's Wing was fairly nice, and I liked the sentiment behind it, but the new house was just....horrible. I hated the windows, I hated the view along it, it managed to look pretty cheap despite having £1.7m spent on it overall. It just didn't work.

Kevin was being gentle with them when he binned them off for having a formal dining area 10 feet from their informal dining area in a huge open plan living area. Like you say, the view from the master bedroom was fundamentally ruined as a result of the annex, and it just all seemed so unwelcoming.

I'm sure that as they finish the groundwork and the land around it recovers it'll soften it, but in comparison to the OCD dude's hobbit hole a few weeks ago - essentially a similar idea - this lacked vision, style and heart.

I do enjoy it when they stop some random in the street to ask them what they think of the house being built.

"Well, it doesn't really fit in does it, unlike my beautiful and traditional pastiche mash-mash of Elizabethan, Georgian, and Gothic Renaissance."

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the Derbyshire one was a bit of a flop in the end. The ingredients were there but basically every house that borrows from farm building vernacular winds up looking like an industrial milking shed. All the serviced office block finishes didn't help things either. There was one shot down the landing hallway that was just so cold and depressing, and you'd never get over the disappointment of that bedroom view. At least it was cheap I suppose...

This weeks is the revisit to the Devon cliff top lighthouse that schadenfreude fans will recall cost the bloke his marriage and bankrupted him.

Don't sleep on the Aussie one too, currently on More4, watched an ep last night where some surgeon decided to build an experimental trio of domes in the middle of nowhere, it was so tense and stressful and he was so clearly out of his depth and naive. 

I love the UK show but honestly think the Aussie & Kiwi ones deliver even more with the locations and architecture.

I’ve watched the last four or so episodes of the Aussie one (including the one with the wife who keeps calling her partner “Babe!” with that upward inflection that we love so much). I’ve also seen quite a few from previous seasons. 

The urban projects tend to be the ones that I like the most as they have to be imaginative about how they fit on a plot. The huge, sprawling vanity projects often leave me baffled. They seem to be hugely environmentally unfriendly, far too big and often ugly. There’s so much amazing cutting edge architecture in Australia, but the ones they get to follow in the countryside of Grand Designs Australia aren’t among them. 

That huge orange “Tuscan” castle was an exemplar of the kind of hideous overindulgence that I’m talking about. 

8 hours ago, Gotters said:

This weeks is the revisit to the Devon cliff top lighthouse that schadenfreude fans will recall cost the bloke his marriage and bankrupted him.

Don't sleep on the Aussie one too, currently on More4, watched an ep last night where some surgeon decided to build an experimental trio of domes in the middle of nowhere, it was so tense and stressful and he was so clearly out of his depth and naive. 

I love the UK show but honestly think the Aussie & Kiwi ones deliver even more with the locations and architecture.

Ah! I follow all kinds of channels on YouTube to do with architecture and what have you, and the lighthouse build was on one recently. I won’t say any more in case I spoil it for anyone but it should be a good episode. 

I’ve just watched the most recent UK episode and, funnily enough considering what I said above, it was my favourite kind of episode; a non-showy, well-designed gem that makes the best of an awkward plot. The funny thing was, considering the Dulwich estate’s overreaching rules, they completely failed to make the brickwork look like the houses next to it because the mortar on the new house was brown instead of cream. 

Yeah, the brown door was mentioned in conversation between my wife and I. Shame we never got to see behind it.

This week's revisit should be interesting, I don't recall the original episode but I have dipped in and out over the years.

I assumed it was a shed/utility room. It clearly has the utilities going into it, so I'd put money on it having a massive tanked central heating system that drives all the underfloor heating. Not sure if it has access from the inside of the house, but if you have that I'd also put washing machine/dryer in there too. 

10 hours ago, deKay said:

There was already a utility room though.

Then just the first bit of what I said, a massive central heating system. 

I thought last night's was shit. A third repeat viewing of all the previously seen stuff and then a bit at the end where the twist was so obvious from all the wires hanging everywhere that....well....whatever.

Even at the end, the dude is in cloud cuckoo land.