Masterchef

Dude Ranch

He'd be easy to cook for, just do him some lamb and a really sweet, traditional pud. And don't do anything stupid like put cherries, potatoes and garlic together with Duck, like I saw one of the celebs do.

This was almost word for word what I said to my missus tonight. A non disastrous sticky pudding virtually gets you through the early rounds <_< .

Nothing.

There is (and was) something disastrously wrong with Peppered Duck, Basil-infused Mashed Potato, and Plum Sauce.

See, I don't know. I've actually had scallops with a plum and basil sauce before that was quite good and although I've never had basil mash there are quite a few recipes for it on the net. I think I would have to try it before saying there was something really wrong with it.

Exactly. Basil Mash, fine. Duck and Plum Sauce, fine (although the duck was heavily peppered, like a peppered steak). Even Duck and a Basil & Plum Sauce...ok, it could work. It's really the mashed potato that's the problem.

Greg the veg said it was horrible, and Torode just tried it without the plum sauce and said it was fine. It's just someone geting confused and thinking "Oh, Duck goes with plum sauce! And mash goes with meat! And Basil might go with mash! So let's put them all together, and...".

Apart from anything else, it's a surefire way to piss the judges off.

And so the forum started to realise why the Dude thinks he could win Masterchef.

But once again the forum is forced to point out the difference between "winning Masterchef" and "getting through the first round of Masterchef".

In all previous years the standard in the semis and the final is light years ahead of what you see in the first weeks.

They just flick through recipe books like everyone else.

Yes. There was one girl who made a nice looking sorbet and some biscuits with sea salt or something and when you looked at the rest of her food it was obvious she'd just cribbed it. The sauce Davros mentioned did look good. The clam shells looked a bit daft though. I expect he got that from a book but I suppose I'd look for some inspiration too.

I don't know. To be honest I hadn't really been watching it until this thread popped up. I know they're onto the quarter finals now.

That Irish chap really upped his game last night. The Pea Soup he did seemed quite refined. I liked Michelle's cooking, and really wanted to try her curry last night, but I couldn't see her developing any further.