5-a-day!

El Pibe

Sorry if this has been done before. Just wondered how people get on with this?

So far today I'm here;

(1) Large glass of orange juice (not from concentrate)

(1.5) A Clementine with breakfast

(2.5) Two kiwi fruit for elevenses

(3.5) 8 cherry toms with my lunch

(4.5) An apple with my lunch

So, I'm 'on my way to 5-a-day'! Tonight, I'll be having a prawn stir fry with loads of veg, which should mean I sail through.

Do people find it easy to get there, or a bit of a struggle? I actually tend to be worse at weekends when my eating time is less regimented than when I am at work and eat at the same time everyday.

Hi Benito!

I find it a bit difficult. ;) Today I've done well though:

1) Glass of Tropicana pure tropical juice (not from concentrate)

2) Little M&S fruit smoothie that came free with a tuna pasta

3) Apple

4) Salad in a Chicken Mayo baguette

5) Beans in a Baked Potato

Sorry if this has been done before. Just wondered how people get on with this?

So far today I'm here;

(1) Large glass of orange juice (not from concentrate)

(1.5) A Clementine with breakfast

(2.5) Two kiwi fruit for elevenses

(3.5) 8 cherry toms with my lunch

(4.5) An apple with my lunch

So, I'm 'on my way to 5-a-day'! Tonight, I'll be having a prawn stir fry with loads of veg, which should mean I sail through.

Do people find it easy to get there, or a bit of a struggle? I actually tend to be worse at weekends when my eating time is less regimented than when I am at work and eat at the same time everyday.

It's a lot easier to get fruit into your diet than veg - fruit juices, fruit snacks, fruit on cereal - but I think it's probably best if you have a higher proportion of veg than fruit.

If you have sarnies, bung in some green leaves - normal lettuce is a bit pathetic when it comes to nutrients (I don't even count it as one portion), so try stuff like baby leaf spinach, rocket or watercress. Or grated carrot.

You could also try cous cous salad - add some chopped/roasted peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, lots of herbs like basil, parsley, coriander.

As you say, stir fries are great for veg. As are veggie curries: try spinach, aubergine, carrots, cauliflower, green beans, plus chickpeas/lentils for protein.

I made a stir fry from scratch yesterday and bunged LOADS of beg into it - green beans, red pepper, a large carrot, and a tin of sweetcorn.

So yesterday went well, with regard to 5-a-day.

You're right, though, it can a surprise how much of something you actually need in order to have a 'portion' of fruit and veg. You do need a lot of lettuce to make a portion.

You're also right that fruit is much easier to do than veg and that's where my problem lays. I eat lots of fruit but fitting in the veg is a little more tricky.

Hi Max! :D

An apple and an orange with my lunch. Big veggie curry for dinner. In fact, with the exception of the tuna in my onigiri for lunch, there is no animal matter in my food today.

By the way, I remember hearing that its actually meant to be 7-a-day, but it was deemed unrealistic and unachievable for most people to manage this, so the number was reduced so that people wouldn't be put off.

An apple and an orange with my lunch. Big veggie curry for dinner. In fact, with the exception of the tuna in my onigiri for lunch, there is no animal matter in my food today.

By the way, I remember hearing that its actually meant to be 7-a-day, but it was deemed unrealistic and unachievable for most people to manage this, so the number was reduced so that people wouldn't be put off.

Yeah, five is a pretty low (and arbitrary) number; we should really eat as much fruit and veg as possible. More like nine (yeah, nine!) portions a day, especially as cooking - and long-storage - destroys nutrients.

I read it as 8.

The Japanese do 17. Imagine that! That's mostly vegetabables, too.

Yeah, five is a pretty low (and arbitrary) number; we should really eat as much fruit and veg as possible. More like nine (yeah, nine!) portions a day, especially as cooking - and long-storage - destroys nutrients.

63 fruit and veg a week isn't easy or cheap though. :wub:

Why not? Veg can be as cheap as anything. Just buy whats in season. You also get the added advantage of it being nicer that way. And fruit doesn't have to be pricey. Canned fruit is OK, and provided you aren't relying on exotic fruits as a mainstay of your diet you don't have to send much.

Surviving mostly on veg is probably the cheapest possible way to eat. Besides living on a diet of MSG-filled Pot Noodle and value beans, that is.

I usually get more than five, but it depends on what I have in the kitchen as I am too poor to get lots of fruit and veg per day. I have to spread it out.

I usually have the following:

1) Sultanas in my porridge for breakfast.

2) Clementine sometime in the day.

3) Banana sometime in the day.

4 & 5) Vegetables in my evening meal (usually brocolli, cauliflower, peas, carrots, runner beans etc.)

I would say I normally make an effort to get 6 or 7 which usually happens, but occasionally (as at the moment) I run out of something and can't afford to go to the shops so I have to make do with 4 or 5. If I had some more money I'd be having shite loads.