IGNORED

Dreamcast

Lorfarius

Is there anywhere that is a good guide to all the Japanese games that came out? I pretty much have the shooters covered but would like some advice on what else is worth picking up, without ending up with some bizarre hentai games or something. I have a fair idea of the fighters but what else is there worth getting that didn't make it out here?

I don't think every game ever is on there, but Segagaga is definately worth a browse.

I never knew there was a Capcom mahjong game! ebay here I come...

Is there anywhere that is a good guide to all the Japanese games that came out? I pretty much have the shooters covered but would like some advice on what else is worth picking up, without ending up with some bizarre hentai games or something. I have a fair idea of the fighters but what else is there worth getting that didn't make it out here?

These are kinda helpful...

www.segagagadomain.com

www.gamengai.com

It's a shame the VMU never caught on in Europe. In Japan, some games like Marvel Vs Capcom 2 had UMD ports (supposedly - however, I have yet to see a machine that still has them, despite seeing many MVsC2 machines). Also, you could plug your VMU into your mates' to share your times on Sega Rally 2, merging the tables to see who's was the fastest.

Dreamcast has arrived but theres a bit of a problem. Console seems to be firing up just fine but have plugged it into the scart socket and nothing seems to be happening ;)

Hopefully;

There are a batch of RGB scart cables that dont fit the Dreamcast console correctly, so you need to trim some of the plastic around the connector to make it fit properly.

If not;

You've got a blown video chip and the console is bricked. This happens when video cables are removed from the console when the power is still on, double check with a composite cable if you have one.

It's a shame the VMU never caught on in Europe. In Japan, some games like Marvel Vs Capcom 2 had VMU ports (supposedly - however, I have yet to see a machine that still has them, despite seeing many MVsC2 machines). Also, you could plug your VMU into your mates' to share your times on Sega Rally 2, merging the tables to see who's was the fastest.

I never saw a VMU port in any of the European arcade cabinets. I guess that the operators here didnt want to pay extra to support that feature.

Doesn't the DC output in RGB only, so it needs to be in the RGB socket? Or is that me teaching me nan to suck eggs?

Just tried it on a different TV this morning as well as plugging it into a video player to try tricking it into using a different signal. Still nothing so I suspect its dud.

just stuck my dreamcast on my tv via VGA. Still looks amazing. Currently playing Street Fighter III but I may finally play through Shenmue.

I wonder if we could stick a dreamcast on the cover?

Aye well worth a shot. Cant be anything but retro now and theres plenty of games that are worth a closer inspection. The likes of Skies of Arcadia deserve a special mention of there own.

You got an RF to try it with? Just to be safe, like?

No, but I have ordered a VGA lead from the US for just £10. However I dropped the seller a line and they have sent me a spare DC they had lying around so hopefully I'll be gaming with it soon.

One other reason for it not being my HDTV to blame is that my NES, SNES, Saturn and MD have never had any problems running through it and they all use different connections from RF, SVideo and Scart.

No, but I have ordered a VGA lead from the US for just £10. However I dropped the seller a line and they have sent me a spare DC they had lying around so hopefully I'll be gaming with it soon.

One other reason for it not being my HDTV to blame is that my NES, SNES, Saturn and MD have never had any problems running through it and they all use different connections from RF, SVideo and Scart.

Nah, I meant it could be the scart. Or have I missed something where you said you tried another cable?

Is it worth buying a US version of Skies of Arcadia. I heard a rumour that it wont work with a Utopia region boot disc?

Don't know about Utopia, but it works with DC-X.

The US version has VGA output but no RGB output, whereas the PAL version has RGB output but no VGA output.

Is it worth buying a US version of Skies of Arcadia. I heard a rumour that it wont work with a Utopia region boot disc?

You heard wrong :P

It worked fine for me. Where I did get unstuck was playing the yarred version upto about the second disk, then getting an original copy and descovering the games saves didn't work. :)

...Good game though.

just stuck my dreamcast on my tv via VGA. Still looks amazing. Currently playing Street Fighter III but I may finally play through Shenmue.

I wonder if we could stick a dreamcast on the cover?

There would be rioting and much gnashing of teeth. Mark my words.

Not from me mind - i'd be delighted to see the DC in Retro Gamer :P