The nines

mr_rmg

I watched it the other night. Bit disappointed in the final analysis - The Nines is very much in the vein of The Machinist or Memento and it doesn't match either of them in it's big reveal, despite probably being the most ambitious of all three. Too much stuff stuck in there because it's cool but without any payoff, really. Thought Ryan Reynolds was v good tho and I actually really enjoyed the second part - it managed to be really affecting despite being the most clearly fictionalised of all three parts.

Edit - Just read John August's piece on torrents. Agree that the best way to approach is to be relaxed about it. Been in the same position myself and you just have to convince yourself that the majority of the downloaders wouldn't have bought it anyway and it's a decent marketing tool for the rest. I'll pick up the DVD when it comes out...

I saw this last week and absolutely loved it. Ryan Reynolds have never been a personal fav of mine but I really liked him in this movie. I liked the the atmosphere of it and I also really loved the ending. It most certainly wont win any awards or anything but I guess it has the potensial to become a cult flick.

• 2 months later...
poorest film I've seen all year, I couldn't understand it, it was like watching a film when really stoned and drunk.

I guess you haven't seen many films this year if you think this is the poorest. And how can you not understand it, or at least have a very good idea of what's going on? What's not to get?

im pressuming..spoilers i guess..

that he was a god (whether in the lateral sense or whether playing a computer game) and basically he kept trying to make the perfect life/world but each time it never worked. You had the fat girl that kept wanting him to stay in that world, whilst the one with blond hair was trying to get him to give up and stop creating a perfect world each time because it will never work.. the ending was not really explained too well, especially considering the fat girl was real (i assumed she maybe had been playing with him in a virtual world ie WOW or Second Life etc)

im pressuming..spoilers i guess..

that he was a god (whether in the lateral sense or whether playing a computer game) and basically he kept trying to make the perfect life/world but each time it never worked. You had the fat girl that kept wanting him to stay in that world, whilst the one with blond hair was trying to get him to give up and stop creating a perfect world each time because it will never work.. the ending was not really explained too well, especially considering the fat girl was real (i assumed she maybe had been playing with him in a virtual world ie WOW or Second Life etc)

I think you've misunderstood a little, the fat chick was just an inhabitant in the world he'd created (and I think it was more his desire that drew her across into each of the worlds). The blonde chick was another god trying to get reynolds to have an intervention and stop him playing.

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst the general premise (

i.e. the creating of multiple 'accounts' within the real world. Not the God angle bit.

) was interesting I thought the execution and reveal were weak. It is by no means a bad film but it just doesn't work as well as it needed to in order to pull off the revelation with conviction. Some parts worked much better than others. Part one, for example, irritated the hell out of me in both content and style but then you are always going to get stronger and weaker stories in these types of films.