Sequels better than the original?

oli

I liked Young Guns 2 better than the original

Doc: "You've run a fifteen year old boy straight into his grave an the rest of us, straight to hell. Billy...You...Are not...A God"

Billy: "Why don't you pull the trigger and find out?"

I wonder how they've aged? Not seen either for years. I always remembr the first being the better one though.

3) Robocop 2.

*cough* *splutter*

Maybe I need to watch it again, but I'm always struck by how camp/glittery Burton's first Batman is. It seems odd to me now that it was 'inspired' by the, er, the 'renaissance' of the Batman comic books (DKR and Killing Joke); although I guess the lesson they took was that darkER is good (while not actual descending to that black pits of those two books).

Nicholson plays a slightly odd mix of the high camp, the sinister, and, well, Jack Nicholson. It works, but it doesn't remind me so much of the DKR/KJ character. Seems to be what Ledger was going for, but we'll have to wait and see.

I think Batman Returns might be my favourite of all. It reminds me of the more esoteric Batman graphic novels. I don't care about continuity or anything, or how the characters reflect their comic counterparts; I just think it's a great little self contained world.

Lots of people slag off Star Trek: the slow-motion picture but I like it for lots of reasons.

Seeing the cast on the big screen was worth the admission price alone when I was 9. The re-fitted Enterprise looked amazing and that bombastic 5/6 minute flypast of the new ship with Jerry Goldsmith's theme music was fantastic.

And the film had a sense of the epic nature of space that somehow ebbed away from subsequent films. It was a proper high-concept sci-fi story (penned by Alan Dean Foster).

The concept was Alan Dean Foster's for a story called "In Thy Image" (itself based on a premise by Gene Roddenberry for his failed Genesis 2 series a few years earlier), which was to be the pilot episode for the mooted Star Trek: Phase II series (which was abandoned when Paramount decided not to launch its own TV network after all). However, ADF had nothing to do with the film itself.

The actual writing process of the screenplay was hideously tortuous - a gargantuous battle of egos between Gene Roddenberry and Harold Livingston which featured several sackings and re-hirings, destroyed relationships, and frenzied rewrites during shooting. It's a good story - far better than the one on the screen!

Nope.

It's far more fun and actiony.

I'm entitled to my opinion :D

No matter how wrong that opinion may be. ;) However, as sequels go, I do find it very watchable, and it's nasty in a way so few modern action flicks are these days. It's probably one of the last few films to use traditional stop motion as well.

Personal thing, I prefer payoff to build up.

Indeed. Certainly she's far more attractive that Gerard Depardieu, although I guess that’s not much of a compliment, when you consider that I am too.

To be honest though, I don't think I can separate them - I first saw Jeanne de Florette and Manon des Source back to back, and couldn’t now imagine watching them any other way.

I'm kinda the same about Back to the Future 1 and 2.

I didn't see them back to back the first time, obviously, but nowadays I can't watch 1 without throwing 2 on straight after. Have to clear a whole 4 hours in my schedule.

Funnily enough I don't have the same compulsion to watch 3. Must be the ZZ Top.

you may as well add Starship Troopers 2 and Highlander 2 to your list

Good sequels imo Spider-Man 2, Empire Strikes Back, X2, The Silence of the Lambs (although I think Brian Cox was a better Lecter)

Does Silence of the Lambs count as a sequel?