toy Story 2

John Wick 3

LOTR Two Towers

skyfall

Bourne Ultimatum

Terminator 2

7 minutes ago, strider said:

Blade Runner 2049

That'll get some knickers in a twist! It is a great film if you're not a particular fan of the original(s).  It's the first film that sprang to mind when I saw the thread resurface.

Yeah, I can't get behind that I'm afraid. Good film though.

Many (most?) people say Godfather Part II is better than the first, and I can see the argument for it, but I prefer the original. Same with Terminator 2.

Good shout on Fury Road though, that's just an absolute gem of a film.

On 22/01/2008 at 14:50, Puck said:

I have very low hopes for Heath Ledger.

Christian Bale, (The Machinist physique), could be a pretty good Joker though. Damn!

This aged well!

But then again, so did this:

On 23/01/2008 at 12:11, Nick R said:

As for the Batman series, Batman Begins is my favourite superhero film.

If we talk about sequels that improved on their immediate predecessors (if not necessarily the films that originated the series):

Rocky Balboa was an improvement on Rocky V.

And then Creed improved on Rocky Balboa.

If you count sequels across reboot lines:

* Spider-Man Homecoming > Amazing Spider-Man 2

And within the MCU's many sub-series:

* Iron Man 3 > Iron Man 2

* The Winter Soldier > The First Avenger

* Thor: Ragnarok > Thor: The Dark World

* Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness > Dr Strange

* Also possibly Avengers Endgame > Infinity War?

On 16/06/2022 at 09:26, Scribblor said:

Good shout on Fury Road though, that's just an absolute gem of a film.

Mad Max: Fury Road has the slightly unfair advantage of Hollywood money being thrown at it in copious amounts allowing Miller to go to town on the effects work and production values.

Mad Max 2 doesn't have those advantages, but is still a better film than the low budget original and both shit on from a great height the more expensive Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

Mad Max: Fury Road has the slightly unfair advantage of Hollywood money being thrown at it in copious amounts allowing Miller to go to town on the effects work and production values.

Mad Max 2 doesn't have those advantages, but is still a better film than the low budget original and both shit on from a great height the more expensive Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

At the time of making, Mad Max 2 was the most expensive Australian film ever made.

Thunderdome was made with Hollywood money, but suffered from a) the cast and crew spending a significant amount of it on beer and cocaine and b) the death of Byron Kennedy in pre-production.  It wasn't even supposed to be a Mad Max film originally.

31 minutes ago, Plissken said:

At the time of making, Mad Max 2 was the most expensive Australian film ever made.

Thunderdome was made with Hollywood money, but suffered from a) the cast and crew spending a significant amount of it on beer and cocaine and b) the death of Byron Kennedy in pre-production.  It wasn't even supposed to be a Mad Max film originally.

I watched the Mad Max films in completely the wrong order as a kid. First one I saw was Thunderdome and that was only because a friend had it on

video, I then saw Mad Max 2 when 

it was shown on TV on Moviedrome and then a while after I finally saw Mad Max after it was also shown on TV. I’m pretty sure the sequel premiered 1st. Got to admit, I was so disappointed with Mad Max, especially in comparison with 2. The impact of it was completely lost on me because I’d seen the far superior sequel first. 

It's barely a trilogy to be honest.  There are weird connections between them (Max's injuries carry over) but they are largely set in different worlds.  I can't remember the name of the trope but it's the "same character walks into someone else's story, fixes things and leaves".