rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
futureshock

Breaking Bad

I bet that one right at the back is Bryan Cranston legit. He'll do anything for a laugh.

• Upvote 1

Just finished watching all the seasons, up to s5 e8, in about a month or so. I'll keep it short as I'm late to the party, so I'll just drop the obligatory 'best thing ever!' and 'way up there with the Sopranos and The Wire' shouts as it's just facts, BITCH. Can't believe we have to wait so long for the next episode, I can't imagine how you guys have been been able to cope since last September - fucking September! But that is not my reason for posting, I was just reading the last few pages of this thread and holy shit I can't believe (season 5 final episode 8 spoiler)

there are actually people asking where the book came from! Seriously, they were prominently showing the book all season long, right from the moment Walt was moving back in they focussed on the damn book and the first thing I thought was "Oh, yeah, that Walt Whitman book! WW! Oh shit, they are totally going to do something with that". Then in next few episodes the book keeps popping back up and finally ends up in the bathroom. The moment Hank stands up to take that life-changing crap, me and and the missus (she loves the show as much as I do!) were both like "oh crap, the book!". I never expected anyone to have missed that, I can only advise those who did to watch the screen next time they're watching the telly :P

This show :wub: THIS FUCKING SHOW :wub: I now totally understand Uzi's sig.

• Upvote 2

I forgot I even had that up there (I have sigs off). Glad it is sending the message across though. When people tell me they haven't watched the show, I genuinely feel better than them. Then I instruct them on how to be a better person.

• Upvote 2

This show :wub: THIS FUCKING SHOW :wub: I now totally understand Uzi's sig.

I think the thing is, even when you're well aware that the show is meant to be something special, when you watch it you're really shocked at how fucking special it is.

Even though you've read tonnes of praise about how it's the best thing ever you're still all DA FUQ THIS IS GOOD.

It's like 'shit, they weren't kidding'.

• Upvote 2

I think the thing is, even when you're well aware that the show is meant to be something special, when you watch it you're really shocked at how fucking special it is.

Even though you've read tonnes of praise about how it's the best thing ever you're still all DA FUQ THIS IS GOOD.

It's like 'shit, they weren't kidding'.

Exactly! And I realised this around halfway through the very first episode - and from then on it just got better and better. And better.

I was a bit worried after season 4 tied so many things up so neatly, whether they were going to go one season too far. But season 5 has been awesome and what they're building up to now feels, in retrospect, like the only possible outcome this whole cooking meth undertaking could have had.

Man, is it July yet?

I gave my Dad Netflix and he pounded his way though all five seasons of this in about two weeks. When it starts airing again I'm going to take the episodes over to his on a USB stick each week and watch them together. We never bond over anything! Breaking Bad: Fixing father son relationships!

It's mended his love of TV too. He's not bothered watching anything for years because he was convinced everything was predictable and samey (his missus makes him watch all kinds of crap!). I've gotten him into Game Of Thrones and Breaking Bad, I'm not sure what to start him on next, maybe Deadwood as he likes Westerns.

• Upvote 3

I think the thing that's most special about Breaking Bad is the sky-high consistency. There's barely a wasted second in there, across forty two hours of show. The worst parts of Breaking Bad are easily better than the worst parts of The Wire or The Sopranos or The West Wing or $OTHER_GREATEST_SHOW_EVER_CANDIDATE. (The best parts, I wouldn't like to judge. Plus Breaking Bad isn't over yet.)

I gave my Dad Netflix and he pounded his way though all five seasons of this in about two weeks. When it starts airing again I'm going to take the episodes over to his on a USB stick each week and watch them together. We never bond over anything! Breaking Bad: Fixing father son relationships!

It's mended his love of TV too. He's not bothered watching anything for years because he was convinced everything was predictable and samey (his missus makes him watch all kinds of crap!). I've gotten him into Game Of Thrones and Breaking Bad, I'm not sure what to start him on next, maybe Deadwood as he likes Westerns.

Sopranos, surely? Or the Wire.

A heartwarming tale. :wub:

glCKB.jpg

Perhaps some are not quite there...

That guy on the right, in the green/yellow/avacado? shirt would be a perfect Mike.

• Upvote 2

Sopranos, surely? Or the Wire.

Don't think he'd have the patience for either of those two. The Wire is too dense, The Sopranos is too subtexty. He walks a fine line between working class rubbish and good taste, and he's kind of narrow minded. It's surprisingly hard to convince him to give anything a go.

After knowing next to nothing about this show other than the "OMG It's Amazing!" reviews, I picked up the seasons 1-3 box set from HMV just after Christmas. I've only watched the first three episodes so far.

OMG It's Amazing. I couldn't tell you the last time I watched a TV show where I was concerned for the characters three episodes in. How many seasons have there been so far? I don't really want to go searching round for fear of spoilers.

• Upvote 1

There's been 4 and a half seasons. The second half of season 5 is coming later this year and that will be the end of the show.

Mad Men. Best thing on telly. Classy as fuck. Closely followed by BB obv.

• Upvote 2

Don't think he'd have the patience for either of those two. The Wire is too dense, The Sopranos is too subtexty. He walks a fine line between working class rubbish and good taste, and he's kind of narrow minded. It's surprisingly hard to convince him to give anything a go.

The Shield is where it's at.

• Upvote 4

Excellent read.

It's not, he clearly doesn't know much about US TV, or even the program he's writing about.

Just for starters, AMC isn't subscription-based cable like HBO, they can't show nudity or swear. They can get away with slightly edgier stuff than network TV (I.e. the subject matter), but not by much.

And high-production values and a soap-like storyline isn't a cable thing per se - Babylon 5, Buffy and the X-files were doing it years before Oz or The Sopranos.

I don't think he gives much insight, he's snobby, and I bet he didn't even watch The Wire until 3 years after it finished, and then banged on about to the annoyance of people who actually supported it while it was on the air.

• Upvote 3

It's not, he clearly doesn't know much about US TV, or even the program he's writing about.

Just for starters, AMC isn't subscription-based cable like HBO, they can't show nudity or swear. They can get away with slightly edgier stuff than network TV (I.e. the subject matter), but not by much.

And high-production values and a soap-like storyline isn't a cable thing per se - Babylon 5, Buffy and the X-files were doing it years before Oz or The Sopranos.

I don't think he gives much insight, he's snobby, and I bet he didn't even watch The Wire until 3 years after it finished, and then banged on about to the annoyance of people who actually supported it while it was on the air.

Geez.

• Upvote 1

He's right about AMC, though. They can shoot, explode, mutilate and melt people (Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels etc), but they can't cuss or flash a boob.

• Upvote 1

Geez.

Are you Geez-ing at me or the article? It's sort of hard to tell without any context or discussion and I don't want to get the wrong end of the stick. God knows we don't want another Star Wars thread on our hands here.

• Upvote 1

I watched DVD versions of Breaking Bad seasons 1 to 4, and they had the occasional "fuck" in them, but mainly in season 1. I remember noticing that the show was generally lacking in swearing after season 1. After all, it's the kind of show where you'd expect the characters to be using "fucks" all the time, so it was coming across as a bit "nicey TV version" and detracting from the realism.

For season 5 I had to watch the TV rips, and that's when I noticed it was a TV channel that couldn't do swearing. There are "fucks" in season 5, but they are muted.

AMC is a weird one. What is it, non-subscription cable? I guess that means it can be more adult than network TV, but not as adult as encrypted cable TV.

:quote:

• Upvote 7

I think what Grambo is suggesting is that you sound like a bit of a snob yourself here. “You didn’t watch The Wire when it was on TV? Fucking Wire noob.”

I watched DVD versions of Breaking Bad seasons 1 to 4, and they had the occasional "fuck" in them, but mainly in season 1. I remember noticing that the show was generally lacking in swearing after season 1. After all, it's the kind of show where you'd expect the characters to be using "fucks" all the time, so it was coming across as a bit "nicey TV version" and detracting from the realism.

For season 5 I had to watch the TV rips, and that's when I noticed it was a TV channel that couldn't do swearing. There are "fucks" in season 5, but they are muted.

AMC is a weird one. What is it, non-subscription cable? I guess that means it can be more adult than network TV, but not as adult as encrypted cable TV.

Yeah, the dvd versions are uncut, but the TV versions muted the swearing and pixelated the one time only instance of nudity in the the first Ep.

I think what Grambo is suggesting is that you sound like a bit of a snob yourself here. “You didn’t watch The Wire when it was on TV? Fucking Wire noob.”

Nah, I meant more like "You missed it at the time and now you're massively overcompensating by talking about it incessantly until people want to punch you in the face". If that makes more sense.

• Upvote 4

After knowing next to nothing about this show other than the "OMG It's Amazing!" reviews, I picked up the seasons 1-3 box set from HMV just after Christmas. I've only watched the first three episodes so far.

OMG It's Amazing. I couldn't tell you the last time I watched a TV show where I was concerned for the characters three episodes in. How many seasons have there been so far? I don't really want to go searching round for fear of spoilers.

You have a hell of a ride ahead of you and Im incredibly envious
  • Upvote 1