IGNORED

Breaking Bad

futureshock

Just watched it during my lunch break and my reading was almost that Walt had planned on suicide by M60. The only reason he was on the floor was because he wanted to save Jesse. The big pause as they faced each other was, for me, Walt trying to decide what to do as he digests his actions basically turning Jesse into a slave.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

He didn't have any visible flu-like symptoms, so it doesn't look like he took ricin as well. He talked about how everything would end, wanted to see his family one last time. He planned on dying by that M60, or as a result of using it. He shielded Jesse by putting himself on top of him so he wouldn't move into the range of the M60.

First song I happened to listen to after watching this couldn't have been more apt: Chromatics' cover of Neil Young's Into the Black.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away/The king is gone but he's not forgotten"

Such a bittersweet feeling having this show come to an end.

Well that's that. A satisfying end, I think.

Not since Band of Brothers has a TV show grabbed me like this, and I watched that a long time after the fact, so this is the first time I've finished of a series like this in real time. Fantastic stuff from beginning to end and I can't wait to go back through it all when the complete Blu Ray set comes home. I always thought I was an emotional vacuum, but I actually feel a tiny bit sad now it's over.

Did anyone else expect -

Jesse to drive into a wall, laughing like a maniac?

Or was that just me?

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

He didn't have any visible flu-like symptoms, so it doesn't look like he took ricin as well. He talked about how everything would end, wanted to see his family one last time. He planned on dying by that M60, or as a result of using it. He shielded Jesse by putting himself on top of him so he wouldn't move into the range of the M60.

Interesting stuff.

To add to that - he wanted Jessie to shoot him - obviously not the original plan, but was that to give Jessie some sense of revenge or that he wasn't sure the bullet wound would defianatly kill him before the cops showed up (or both). I can't see that he would have taken the Ricin or shot himself - I don't think he'd have wanted to commit suicide directly (the M60 being death by robot)?.

A million apologies if someone just read my above spoiler in the 5 seconds that it was unspoiled when I first posted it.

Interesting stuff.

To add to that - he wanted Jessie to shoot him - obviously not the original plan, but was that to give Jessie some sense of revenge or that he wasn't sure the bullet wound would defianatly kill him before the cops showed up (or both). I can't see that he would have taken the Ricin or shot himself - I don't think he'd have wanted to commit suicide directly (the M60 being death by robot)?.

I think he wanted Jesse to kill him in the end, it seemed like the right thing for Jesse. Walt put him there.

But also, he didn't want the "coward's way out" as some people would put it. Remember, it's still all bravado, he's not this absolute badass who isn't afraid. He didn't have the balls to put a gun to his head and pull the trigger.

I reckon he planned on either dying by that M60, or by someone else in the room as retaliation for the attack, or by the cops in a 'shoot out'.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

i totally called Badger and Skinny Pete, and my wife's totally called the ricin in the tea. This is because the ending just felt perfectly weighted against the momentum of the show, I think. What happened was what had to happen.

Totally forgotten about Jesse's woodworking story though.

One thing: after it's over, when Walt is walking to the drug lab, there's a long shot of the M60, its purpose spent but still mindlessly moving back and forth. Did anyone else think that was a metaphor for Walt himself at that moment?

Just watching this again with the better half and it occurred to me that perhaps the bit where it shows

Jesse making the box could possibly be a flash forward, no? Just the way he holds it, and smells it. Reminding him of the box he made when he was younger, and a time before the Methocalypse......

So in the end,

Walt and Jesse finally got out of a bad situation by building that robot at last. Brilliant

Haha, when he was putting that together in the desert I said "He's building a robot!"

Also, I really thought Jack was going to say "Wait!", put his cigarette in his mouth and then "OK".

Great ending to a fantastic show.

On reflection, I think Series 4 is where it was the strongest:

It's just really focused on a single story and some incredible drama, with both of them getting in over their heads, even if Gus is a bit cartoony at times.

5 overall had sort of a weird arc where at the start it's them back to square one, then tieing it into the series 3 and 4 stuff, then breaks with that and sets up this new threat and then a lot of interpersonal drama (a lot of which gets cut short because people die). It feels a bit compressed near the end, especially with the unmentioned 6 month timeskip, and there's some awkward bits (i.e. Jesse knew the Ricin wasn't used for poison, but it was brought up again as an obvious Checkovs Gun), although maybe that's the break in the middle of the season which makes me feel that way.

But yeah, classic television.

Utter shit, why couldn't Breaking Bad keep the excellence in quality like Dexter did?! :angry:

Brilliant last episode, felt like the last 5 seasons Walt was on a Heisenberg-bender and now finally Walt has sobered up to his impending death/capture and with his last adventure tried to put as much "right" as possible.

(I must have been the only guy who didn't see the Lydia/Ricin poisoning - because I expected bigger things for it with the amount of power it holds. But the way it was used perfectly mirrored it's original use of being put in Gustavo's coffee which only hit me a couple of hours later! :lol: )

Well I've been a part of this thread since the beginning and I am honestly gutted the journeys over. Loved the finale, but then again does a bad episode of BB exist? Truly astonishing TV from the start. I feel like a part of me is gone. Genuinely unhappy it's finished.

Just got home from my parents. I've watched every episode with them. We back to backed the first series in a week, then from series 2 onwards have tuned in each week, loving every second.

Very happy with the ending, though we're not sure what we're going to do when we get together on a Monday now. We might have to talk to each other! EEP

Day one on the blu-ray for me, having only watched each episode once I can't wait to start over.

So sad it's over.

Jesse's box dream wake up moment was wonderfully Gilliam. Walt switching roles with Jesse driving around with Badger and the skinny bloke was subtly brilliant. The lighting in the car with police outside and reflected in Walt's glasses. Skylar reflected in the microwave. God I'll miss this attention to detail on TV. Rest in peace Mr White you crazy old brilliant bastard.