Breaking Bad

futureshock

See, that's the thing. I was expecting it to be all about Jesse sorting his shit out and succeeding/failing. We know he was treated like shit by mad nazi fucks. I didn't need to see a huge chunk of the running time spent with Meth Damon. It was pretty infuriating.

I know you have to suspend your disbelief a bit with actors aging with long after the original projects like this. But fucking hell, they really should have thought twice around basing major screen time around Jesse Plemons. Needed Harry Potter levels of suspension of disbelief for that one.

Also, would it be worth having a separate thread for this?

I planned to watch this a few hours ago. I loved Breaking Bad, know nothing of this film. I set my laptop up, insert memory stick with it on, pull drawers with tv on forward, find hdmi, lift speaker behind tv, put on coat and trainers, walk across to curry house, give my order, take a look to my left, see a big television and on it is

Spoiler

Jesse in a diner speaking with Walt. What would you have done instead maybe? ‘Sport science?’

I think; i don’t remember this scene in Breaking Bad. Think; oh no this is the new film i’m about to go home and watch.

I sit down and wait, see

Spoiler

Jesse arrive in Alaska

start to panic. What do i do. I’ve not paid yet. What if an action scene begins. Where am i in the duration of this film. Look away. It’s not enough. Find my tangled up earphones in my pocket. I have my iphone on me, play something quick, anything and loud. It’s not working! Downloaded podcasts jamming. 

Spoiler

Jesse is in a car

Sound! Turn it up. It’s Roseanne Barr rambling on to Joe Rogan! Oh my fucking god. 

What’s that..it sounds like music. End credits music. Well i’m just going to have to look up now and confirm that was the last 10 minutes. 

*looks*

yeah it was. Credits end..next video in playlist is..the Breaking Bad pilot! He had Dragonheart playing a few months ago. 

Go home, mull over whether to watch it. Do. Vlc file glitching, skip ahead..still glitching. Copy to laptop, still glitching. Download new version of vlc..still glitching. Reset laptop..still glitching. 

i just watched a documentary about nikola tesla instead. 

Skinny Pete...

Spoiler

That was a real Kenny in the South Park movie moment. 

Anyway, I warmly enjoyed this as a way to spend more time with Jesse. At first I thought they'd just film Todd behind things to try and mask Plemons' weight gain. Try to string it out for as long as possible.

It's what I'd do.

HBO phone me pls.

Just rewatching the last few eps of BB before watching El Camino. And when Walt and Saul are awaiting their escape papers, in the penultimate episode, Saul says to Walt:

“If I’m lucky, a month from now, best case scenario, I’m managing a Cinnabon in Omaha.” :lol:

I never knew that reference was in there. Fucking genius that they subsequently used that throw-away line for the basis of all those wonderful black and white flash-forwards in BCS. :wub:

I was a bit worried about this but really enjoyed it. Sure, it was a Breaking Bad tribute band but there were some great scenes.

Spoiler

Todd's apartment and the body.

The 'FBI' switcheroo.

$1800 short.

'I'm not here to rob you,' and the shootout.

Todd gained weight but then he did ask Jesse if he wanted pizza and pie. Seriously? Who eats pizza AND pie?

That was nice to watch. My biggest fear was that it would spoil what Breaking Bad left me with but it really didn't, it felt like a 2hr long secret post-credits epilogue and to be honest I'm perfectly fine with that. 

Everyone's looking forward to the next one with Skyler and Jr right? 

11 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I was a bit worried about this but really enjoyed it. Sure, it was a Breaking Bad tribute band but there were some great scenes.

Hide contents

Todd's apartment and the body.

The 'FBI' switcheroo.

$1800 short.

'I'm not here to rob you,' and the shootout.

Todd gained weight but then he did ask Jesse if he wanted pizza and pie. Seriously? Who eats pizza AND pie?

The pie is the pizza. You know, when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, and all that. 

14 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

That was bloody awful. The minute Todd the Hutt appeared the whole thing lost all credibility. There were some interesting ideas but the execution was like a David Lynch film directed by Barry Chuckle.

Ok so that was the brief, late night, deeply disappointed reaction.

Spoiler

I've chewed it over and my disappointment remains. I will watch it again at some point but with reservations.

My feelings may have been exacerbated by the wife and I watching the last few episodes of Season 5 again over the last few nights in preparation. One comment that I made during the last episode, as Jessie was throttling Todd to death, was "That wee prick was needing that". He was bearable but after everything he had done Jessie's fury was quite cathartic. So when his voice was heard in El Camino i was OK with it. When he was glimpsed through the bars it was obvious the guy had pilled the weight on. I'm no fucking slim Jim but when you could see his belly hanging out of his shirt through the bars it totally broke my immersion. This wasn't helped by us being expected to believe that Jessie was happily cutting about with a child killer during the last few episodes of Breaking Bad. This being the same Jessie who had been shown as a blubbering mess while describing Todd murdering the boy on the bike "As if it was nothing" on the tape that Hank and Gomez made just prior to his capture by Uncle Jack's gang.

By the time Walt appeared I was so uninvested in the whole thing that it barely registered.

Basically too much Todd. Not enough Mike.

They need to leave it alone, finish the still excellent Better Call Saul and walk away before they do any more damage to the original series reputation.

45 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Ok so that was the brief, late night, deeply disappointed reaction.

Hide contents

I've chewed it over and my disappointment remains. I will watch it again at some point but with reservations.

My feelings may have been exacerbated by the wife and I watching the last few episodes of Season 5 again over the last few nights in preparation. One comment that I made during the last episode, as Jessie was throttling Todd to death, was "That wee prick was needing that". He was bearable but after everything he had done Jessie's fury was quite cathartic. So when his voice was heard in El Camino i was OK with it. When he was glimpsed through the bars it was obvious the guy had pilled the weight on. I'm no fucking slim Jim but when you could see his belly hanging out of his shirt through the bars it totally broke my immersion. This wasn't helped by us being expected to believe that Jessie was happily cutting about with a child killer during the last few episodes of Breaking Bad. This being the same Jessie who had been shown as a blubbering mess while describing Todd murdering the boy on the bike "As if it was nothing" on the tape that Hank and Gomez made just prior to his capture by Uncle Jack's gang.

By the time Walt appeared I was so uninvested in the whole thing that it barely registered.

Basically too much Todd. Not enough Mike.

They need to leave it alone, finish the still excellent Better Call Saul and walk away before they do any more damage to the original series reputation.

Spoiler

the threat of meth Damon killing another kid was clearly enough to make him hang around, I mean he had a gun at one point and couldn’t shoot him so not sure there is any issue with that bit.

I want a second watch, I enjoyed it and glad it didn’t tarnish any of the BB ending - I really want another spin off ‘The adventures of Badger and skinny Pete’

On 12/10/2019 at 12:18, Anne Summers said:

Hide contents

I did get a bit annoyed with Jesse being so willing to hand over every last penny he had to Hoover Repair Guy, just for a lift to Alaska in a hidden compartment in a truck. But apart from that, this was a really nice epilogue to the show. 

Spoiler

Whole new identity as well, wasn't it? I imagine they don't come cheap if you want a proper job doing.