rllmuk
futureshock

Breaking Bad

Another stormy episode. Where is it all going? It's clear that Jesse is the emotional core of this season... but why?

The same reason he's been the emotional core of the show since Season 2, probably - Walt is a terrible person.

I think I clung to Walt a bit longer than you did! But seriously, they're really upping the ante in making the audience root for Jesse, to the point where most of the other characters either fit into the 'cool' or 'mental' categories without much attempt to forge an emotional attachment. Or maybe I'm just imagining it. I'm definitely not complaining, Aaron Paul is really drawing me in this season with his fantastic performance.

More speculation.

Walt can't stand that Mike's nine guys are basically sitting in jail, waiting to crack at any minute. Todd has "connections" in prison. Walt still has the ricin that he and Jesse cooked up for use on Gus. I can forsee a Godfather-style montage at the end of this season as the nine get served a special dinner and the Phoenix crew get taken down. Of course, Mike would not be party to this so he may well get his own portion after failing to take the necessary 'full measure' to neautralise Walt.

God I love this show.

• Upvote 1

Heard on a podcast that they are playing around with the idea of making the final episode a movie directed by a big name (secret) director who has shown interest. Not sure if that would be the best or worst thing ever.

I think I clung to Walt a bit longer than you did!

Yeah, I'm sure. But I'm just going to quote myself from way back in 2009:

Yes - I think Walt realises that

he's sort of lost whatever moral justification he had for doing this if he's actually going to survive. Now he's only doing it for his own greed and enjoyment of the business, both of which have been increasing in sharp contrast to Jesse's humanity.

In retrospect it's obvious even earlier.

Heard on a podcast that they are playing around with the idea of making the final episode a movie directed by a big name (secret) director who has shown interest. Not sure if that would be the best or worst thing ever.

I think it would be a terrible idea. BB has shown you don't need a big Hollywood name to shoot an amazing looking TV show with unmatched sound design. The guy who directed the train heist episode was a 1st time director (he had previously worked as a writer on the show)! They should choose from their own team of directors and trust themselves to stick the landing.

EDIT: Del Toro has been talking about BB recently; apparently the Mexican Dr role from Gus, Jesse and Mike's Mexican Adventure was written for him but he had a scheduling conflict. I like him but wouldn't want to see him come on board for the finale.

• Upvote 2

Been interesting re-watching the show from the start (just finished S02). Visually, the first 2 seasons look NOTHING like the current seasons; back then it was all shaky cams, fly-on-the-wall style, and super grainy/contrasty. Looking at the brilliant screen-caps in here every week, it makes you realise how much more polished, and well presented it is now. A much stronger focus on static camera shots and well composed cinematography. Like a really well produced film.

Anyone know what the story is behind this? Did the DPs all get replaced halfway through the show or something? I like both styles, but think the earlier episodes definitely lack the sheer beauty we now see every week.

It's Jesse not Jessie.

No idea why that bugs me so much.

And also Skyler, not Skylar.

Same for me as well!

• Upvote 2

the intro to the latest episode was so grim. i loved the scene where Jesse has to leave early and he sees Walt whistling cheerfully.

• Upvote 1

A fascinating GQ interview with Mike (Jonathan Banks) just popped up on my Facebook feed and I haven't seen it posted here (Apologies if it was). Worth a read...

GQ: At this stage of the game, Mike is actually more moral than Walt, isn't he?

Jonathan Banks: Oh, god, yes. Are you kidding? Walt's just fucking evil now!

:D

Have they changed the lighting in the White house this season? It seems a lot darker in there, (omg so deep etc). It's almost always night and dark out, and Walt's usually brooding in a corner in the shadows or something, curtains always closed. Even for the dinner party (I'm loving all the awkward dinners this season) took place outside during the night.

It's probably because of this guy

http://blogs.amctv.c...s-interview.php

I was intrigued by this statement: "What Vince and the writers do is drop a single line in an early episode and then not mention anything about it until nine episodes later, and then all of a sudden there's an episode all about that one line."

Can anyone think of some examples of this?

Have they changed the lighting in the White house this season?

It certainly feels different to me too - I actually think they were using some different shots compositions in the living/dining room this season - which is almost disorientating, as we've previously experienced it from a limited range of camera positions.