rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Stingo

PSN games

frankly, I think more and more PSN games, particularly the good/quirky ones like flOw and for example the just released and excellent Pixeljunk Monsters are getting lost in "A thread for PS3 owners". Maybe start listing them here...

Soong's listed all the UK-PSN titles HERE. A quick browse tells me it's virtually identical to the "continental" Store (for the Benelux, that is)

Makes sense; there's separate threads for both the VC and XBLA.

I bought PixelJunk Monsters on Thursday, and I've certainly enjoyed what I've played of it although it does seem a bit unforgiving. I assume this is to make up for the relatively small selection of levels, but at any rate it's certainly not bad for little more than the price of a sandwich.

Oh, also I was just reading this piece on Rez HD's use of vibration over at Kotaku, and from the sounds of things we could well see that game be making an appearance on PSN at some point. It isn't confirmed, but I've always assumed it to be something of an inevitability anyway.

No need for this thread until WiepoutHD, and even then it will most probably have it's own one by the time of it's release.

I think what would be a good idea is to turn this thread into a complete PSN Content listing for EU/US/JP.

Saw the 1up show bit on pixeljunk monsters and thought it looked interesting so found desktop tower defence (it was mentioned on the show). I like the idea of the game but it didn't really click. I hope that the pixel junk game will put it together better as the idea is a good one.

I played PixelJunk for hours yesterday. I've always hated RTS games but I love this.

Frustrating release days aside, the PSN does have a lot of quality styff.

Oh, also I was just reading this piece on Rez HD's use of vibration over at Kotaku, and from the sounds of things we could well see that game be making an appearance on PSN at some point. It isn't confirmed, but I've always assumed it to be something of an inevitability anyway.

Oh yes please. DO WANT.

Being new to this PS3 lark I've only dipped my toe in the water on PSN.

Downloaded Super Stardust HD - what a sweet little game; I've had a whale of a time zipping about & blasting rocks. It's not going to set the world alight but not a bad game either.

Having tried the PixelJunk Monsters demo I want more. Much more.

What I need to know though, is if I download the full version on my UK account will I be able to play on my US account? And is this the case for all PSN titles? Before I go on a spree.

Having tried the PixelJunk Monsters demo I want more. Much more.

What I need to know though, is if I download the full version on my UK account will I be able to play on my US account? And is this the case for all PSN titles? Before I go on a spree.

The only game that stops you doing this is Warhawk. Everything else so far will work fine.

I tried the demo last night and enjoyed it. Tried to buy it and kept getting told I already had when I hadnt. I thought I was getting a free game :wub:

I honestly don't 'get' PJM. It's a trial and error game, like Rick Dangerous. And as fun as Rick Dangerous was in 199x I don't think the same type of game washes thesedays. Obviously, I'm very in the minority on this because the love in the PS3 thread was overwhelming...well, maybe not overwhelming but there was more love than hate, I just don't see how having to second guess waves until you know the patterns is fun :wub:

I dipped my feet in the water and bought my first PSN game yesterday; Riff: Everyday Shooter.

It's a brilliant game. I like the way it takes Every Extends chaining mechanic and does something useful with it. I'd being playing Rez HD quite a bit recently, and although I love Rez, I'm not really one to go back and play old games over and over. So this just feels really fresh. Definitely the best shooter/music game to be influenced by Mizuguchi. The visuals are minimal and stylish, and I love the music and the stuttery guitar effects when you land a chain.

I've only got to level 3, but it's great how the way things chain differs for each one, and I'm still trying to figure it out properly. Seems to have a fair amount of depth.

Worth a fiver of anyone's money.

It steps the difficulty up a bit doesn't it? Although it is quite hard, it seems fair for most of the time from what I've played. I like the mechanic of being able to move your ship (dot?) more quickly by not shooting. It makes it more tactical by making you think about your position and movement, not just firing blindly everywhere.

I figured out level 3 yesterday thanks to Iza's brother. Now to give it a good caning.

I just wish the shooting was proper analogue as opposed to 8 way.

I've only got to level 3, but it's great how the way things chain differs for each one, and I'm still trying to figure it out properly. Seems to have a fair amount of depth.

I bought this yesterday (Level 3 for me too). It's a weird little game but somewhat addictive. I don't normally get a craving to play specific shooters but this week this and Space Invaders Extreme have done just that.

I'd like to see Space Invaders Extreme on PSN myself.

I'm getting well into Everyday Shooter (I wish they'd dropped "Riff" from the title). It's great slowly untangling each level and working out the chaining and scoring techniques. I haven't totally sussed Lush Look Killer yet, it's quite tricky I find. I love the one after that, can't remember it's name but it has red planes. It really chilled and quite pretty.

One thing this game needs is an online score ranking. I hope they add one in a future update. I'd buy more levels too. Is there a thread for high scores going anywhere?

The thread I've been looking for.

My big problem with PSN is that it's almost impossible to find a decent resource with screens and mini reviews of all the games on it. There's a site dedicated to the VC, with plenty of coverage, but the only place for PSN is WIkipedia, which is outdated, lacks screens, and doesn't tell me much. And its Japanese PSN coverage is piss poor. ;)

Also, no one seems to talk about the PSP and PS1 games on PSN.

So... What's worth getting on PSN? I'm getting a PS3 in the next few weeks, and have a shortlist of PSN titles.

Nobi Nobi Boy

Megaman 9

Last Guy

Loco Cocorocho

Rakugaki Showtime

Siren (now available on DVD)

Jeanne D'Arc (I swear I saw this advertised on Sony's website as something I could download and play on my PSP... Unless I'm hideously mistaken)

There's so much on there, what else is good?

To get this topic going, I'm also going to copy and paste a list of mini reviews from some guy on insert credit, which I found useful (since I was umming and ahhing about Everyday Shooter, which, now that I think about it, was not a lot of fun to play when I tried it).

Blast Factor (Kind-of, it's like a 6-7/10.)

Calling All Cars! (Only if you have buddies with PS3's and plan to play online. Even then it might not feel all that relevant in 2009.)

Dark Mist (Little dungeon-romp that lasts about 3-4 hours. Not brilliant, but it's cheap and fun. It's kind of like the roguelike Geometry Wars actually, if you change the control scheme.)

Echochrome (Really quite clever. Not so much fun as a total mindfuck, in a good sense.)

Elefunk (Bridge-building sim with elephants. Cute but not exactly awesome...)

GripShift (If you haven't bought this on PSP and/or 360 already, you really should. One of the best indie games of the 00's.)

Lemmings (A quite nice remake, actually. But it's still just Lemmings...)

Linger in Shadows (Just a tech demo, but quite a nice one and it's very cheap. Worth it just to support this kind of endeavor.)

Pain (Not recommending this, but it does fall on the more positive side of the spectrum. It's like the definition of "okay.")

Pixeljunk Monsters (Feels like this game has been talked about enough. Buy if you like Tower Defense.)

Pixeljunk Racers (Simplified, top-down racing. Very fun, but I was disappointed when the full version doesn't have any "progressive" modes; ie, there's no saving. Feels like you're going nowhere when playing it.)

The Last Guy (Oddball and amazingly addictive and fun. I need to get back to beating the last few stages myself...)

Never give these satanists money:

Cash Guns Chaos (Might be worth the $3 just to chuckle at what a radibly shameless ripoff of Smash TV it is.)

Everyday Shooter (Yeah, I said it. Worthless, unplayable piece of shit with horrid music. And I love indie music and avant garde gaming.)

flOw (It's relaxing and fascinating, but only for about 2 minutes and you never end up launching it again.)

Geon (Seems like it could be fun at first. It is not.)

Novastrike (How is this not a twin-stick shooter? No, seriously. What the hell is this control scheme? I mean...my mind has been blown. Such an epic, fundamental fuck-up. Avoid like the plague.)

Nucleus (The dullest shmup ever made. Buy if you want to know what dying of boredom actually feels like.)

Pixeljunk Eden (Frustrating controls, uninteresting gameplay, dull aesthetics. Really don't understand how they messed everything up in this game, as they're usually a pretty good team.)

Piyotama (Wholly uninteresting block puzzler.)

Sky Diving (This game would've been awesome, unique fun if the turning mechanism had actually, you know...worked at all. It does not, so the game ends up being the most frustrating gaming experience of 2008. I've only been able to take 2 sessions at about 3-4 minutes each before I almost exploded from anger and frustration. Beware!)

Haven't had a chance to play the newest ones yet, but I've heard that Söldner-X is surprisingly good and that Astro Tripper is actually awesome. Looking forward to playing them this weekend.

I've been obsessively playing Savage Moon for the last couple of days; pretty good tower defence game (better than PJM, IMO), although I seem to have hit a wall on level...10? (the one with the factory in the middle of the map).

Big thumbs up for Gripshift, which has been there pretty much since the PAL PS3 launch.

Big thumbs down for not all PSN games having demos, as on XBLA.

@Soong: do you plan to still update your PSN Database?

Crash Commando isn't listed (yet?)...

(BTW: is ThePSN podcast dead?)

Yeah it'll be updated soon, and the podcast will be back soon! All just a busy time of year.