Oblivion

Stanley

I'm a mod junkie. I can barely play any PC game without getting a mod of some kind for it. Sometimes, it's a bad habit I need to get out of and just enjoy the game, other times, it's the only way to play an otherwise dissapointing game.

Oblivion is the latter. When I played it I really only used an anti-levelling monsters mod. Now, I want to go back to it, and play with the best set of mods, but frankly the amount available scares me. I don't want to install a bunch that are garbage, or play half the game having missed the best mod in town. Got any recommendations?

Me too, I've started to spend more time reading about the mods than actually playing them. I would recommend:

MMM (for great monsters and npcs) coupled with either Oscuros (for a very static game world) or Frans (for a semi static game world).

Darnified UI improves the interface dramatically. Essential.

AF Leveling mod improves the levelling system.

Low poly grass improves your FPS for no real in game loss.

Colored Enemy Health adds a colour system to enemies health bars. Makes a world of a difference.

Streamline - optimises your FPS (makes a big difference).

Qarls texture pack 3 (redomized version). Great if your GFX card has 512+ of ram.

Oblivion Script Extender (needed for many mods to work)

Oblivion Mod Manager essential for managing the above.

Loads and loads of other fun mods, like Midas Magic, Deadly Reflex, Thieves Arsenal and Akatosh Mount. Try not to install too many mods though as it can have an adverse effect on your games content and performance.

I was flying through this game and nearing 100 hours until one of the Thieves Guild quests broke for me, I spent hours trying different things to make it work with no luck ;)

I might give it another go soon, I have Shivering Isles downloaded and untouched.

Out of interest how does the PS3 version fare?

It's absolutely fine. No problems whatsoever and the standard one comes with Knights of the Nine, which is nice. I've seen comparison videos and the 360 and PS3 versions look subtly different, but I'm rubbish at working out how. I'd say the PS3 one's colours look slightly more vribrant and richer.

After reading this thread I had no choice but to dive back in.

My level 14 High Elf mage was still waiting for me in the Shivering Isles and after a quick glance at the journal to catch my bearing, I was right back were I left off almost 6 months ago.

The only difference is going from a 32" CRT to a 42" Plasma, needless to say the game looks more stunning than ever.

I usually go for the brawler/warrior type in RPG's but my mage in Oblivion has been great fun. I've had a Summon Daedroth spell that has kept me safe from all kinds of trouble since level 8 or so.

I got an almost full set of Amber armour in New Sheoth, but I can't see if a mage is punished in any way for wearing armour.

One problem is I always seem to carry too much crap with me, though, so I always have two different "feather" spells active at any time + a necklace with among other effects, you guessed it, another "feather" spell.

Yes, I know I should sell or dump some of my junk, but I can't bear to part with it.

I got sick of modding the pc version. A lot of the mods require you to start again and getting all the mods working together is a pain in the arse, like someone said you spend more time reading about the mods and configuring them than you do playing the damn game. So when I got a PS3 I bought the GOTY edition and

just got on with enjoying the game.

PS3 version works fine by the way, I've had a couple of freezes but have played over 30hrs so its no biggy.

Oh yea, I managed to get the pc version working with a pad including managing inventory/ map etc(using JoytoKey). Pc version just isnt designed for use with only a pad so mapping all the controls to my PS2 pad was very fiddly and controlling the game just didnt feel intuitive enough.

I like the EyeCandy mods, but frankly I can't bring myself to download or use them.

Even though it looks like this.

See, there's really no reason character models in Oblivion shouldn't have looked that good in the first place, wildly impractical armour aside.

As beautiful as Oblivion is, the character look vile. Bethesda have apparently taken that into account for Fallout 3 - they had a lot of feedback from players who want their characters to not look like obscene freaks from the third-person camera, so they've done lots of animations just for the job, as well as making sure that people don't all look like burn victims.

A couple of points related to some of the comments posted here...

I played the PC version for 20-odd hours, and I found myself spending just as much time again reading up about various mods, and reading conflicting opinions regarding the levelling system. It got to the stage where I spent far to much time wondering if I was playing it correctly, with the right mods etc, in order to maximise my enjoyment of it. I even spent hours loading-and-reloading after installing and fiddling with graphical mods, altering tweaks to the game engine etc. I just ended up feeling fed up with it.

I'm now 20-odd hours into the 360 version, and I'm enjoying it much more. It's nicer not having all the above playing on my mind, and I also prefer playing it on the pad in front of my nice big LCD. Analogue movement with the pad feels so much more rewarding with this game than it did playing it with the keyboard and mouse.

Characters do look rubbish. The speachcraft feature means that it zooms right in when you chat to them, and some of the faces look bizarre. It took me ages to find a decent enough look to my character that didn't involve him having a neanderthal looking head shape. The voice acting is pants too... really bad. I realise that having a whole host of voice actors would have been too expensive, but some of them are so distinctive that using them for more than one character sounds odd.

Damn it, the link to that eyecandy mod screenshot makes me wanna fire up the PC version and start modding.

*bashes head against wall*

I fucking love this game though. Seriously.

I'm glad someone mentioned the speechcraft wheel. Now am I being thick here, but how the hell does it work?

I don't know if I can actually explain it tbh. Just have a play around with it, and you'll work it out.*

*unless you are totally thick :P

I am pretty thick. I've worked out that pointing to some of the portions in the wheel makes the NPC smile, or grimmace, or something inbetween, but that's about all.

I did it before and thought I'd pissed the character off, but then my speechcraft skill increased as result, so... ?

:P

Did you notice that some of the 'wedges' are larger? If you click while the large wedges are placed over the two actions that make them happy, your disposition will increase (they'll like you more). If you click while the large wedges are over the actions they don't like, you'll piss them off.

Your speechcraft goes up regardless of whether you do this right or not, as going through the motions of speechcraft will increase your skill - like other abilities.

It's not a bad little mini-game i suppose, not as good as lock picking though, and it becomes completely redundant as soon as you create a 1-second 100% charm spell!

Trying to read the facial expressions of Argonians is quite tricky!

Also, due to a recommendation by a mate (Joj on this very forum!) I played a couple of hours last night while listening to the Halo 3 OST and it somehows fits completely. I don't know how it works, but it adds immensley to the atmosphere and epicness and everything! Completed the last thieves guild quest last night too!

I was flying through this game and nearing 100 hours until one of the Thieves Guild quests broke for me, I spent hours trying different things to make it work with no luck :(

I might give it another go soon, I have Shivering Isles downloaded and untouched.

The Oblivion Wiki is great for listing known critical bugs like that, but better, it offers solutions and ways to get around the bug. I almost got screwed by a mages guild quest bug where you can't damage a boss character - but thanks to advice from the Wiki I lured him into an underwater tunnel and beat him in a battle of lung capacity - he gurgled to death, a truly heroic battle on my part :P

I like the EyeCandy mods, but frankly I can't bring myself to download or use them.

Even though it looks like this.

What mod is that?

Oooh, as a wild stab in the dark, I think it might be one of the OcularSweeties mods...

:P

Ventured into Shivering Isles for the first time tonight. At the risk of sounding like a little girl, it has some lovely dresses that my character is enjoying flouncing around in very much. I think my ideal woman would run around dungeons sword-fighting weird monsters in a huge dress, but for now Oblivion will have to do. Anyway, Shivering Isles looks great. I like the fact it looks less like a nature reserve and more fantasy-esque. The two towns are nice too. Can I do quests from both at the same time, or do you have to permanently choose one? Also, are there weapon repair people there? I'm not good enough to repair enchanted weapons myself yet!

I've also managed to become all powerful at level 8 by enchanting every bit of Umbra's armour with +10 strength. It's quite satisfying learning how to beat the levelling up!