Retro Gamer Issue 47

strider

Sorry, but Super Sprint was rubbish.

I went to buy this but only found the last issue. Is it out on Wednesday or summat?

According to the last issue, the street date should be the 1st of February (Friday)

Loving #47 so far, Magic Carpet piece was good, still got a couple of articles to finish reading...

My nostalgic passion for Stunt Race FX remains unabated, so when I witnessed its callous omission, I died a little, wondered why a little, why those above me, who must be in the know, think so little of it, they allowed it to go. There's no racer finer, but how strange the change from major to minor.

Haven't got mine yet, but it's a nice cover.

I really like the collector's corner and the old gaming magazines features in recent issues.

I enjoy the arcade inspection very much too. Don't care much for the pre-1985 stuff though.. I'd like to see some/more of:

The Great Giana Sisters

Neo Turf Masters

Emergency Call Ambulance

Scud Race

In The Hunt

Raiden Fighters

Jambo! Safari

F355 Challenge

Propeller Arena (and other unreleased games)

More Amiga games

Fujitsu FM Towns

Sharp X68000

Naomi games/hardware

Joystick/pad/controller article

C64 & Amiga cracking/demo scene

SID 6581 article

Generally more obscure gaming - loved the gaming illuminati feature John did before he quit

• 3 weeks later...
Next issue needs to be nuked from orbit already.

Matthew fucking Smith... christ...

Will you be revisiting Sonic the Hedgehog the month after that?

If there's something new, interesting or previously unknown to say about Sonic, then why not?

And don't start the usual "RG is in love with Matthew Smith", he's appeared in precisely TWO articles, one of which was in the little-seen anthology from Live Publishing... he's not been in the mag since Imagine took over.

I'm with Meh on this one. Is Smith even working in games these days? It does seem to be strange to be going back to him. What more can he say? He was done to death before Imagine and I would have thought the Megatree article + freebie would be the end of him. There was even extra stuff about him in the first compiliation book that Imagine did wasn't there?

He wrote Manic Winer and Jet Set Willy, then disappeared for umpteen years to go work in a fish factory. That's pretty much his life story. Can't we just have a single line in the news section with that? Would cover all bases :unsure:

Next issue needs to be nuked from orbit already.

Spectrum special.. that issue will probably last no longer than 5 minutes for me. Don't misunderstand me, I think the RG team is doing a good job putting the mag together (some more arcade/obscure would be nice though) but sorry, lately it feels like the magazine has been going downhill with all the really old stuff. #47 was pretty weak IMO. Others might not agree..

There's been a lot of 8-bit coverage, but that's mainly because everyone's been asking for it.

We've got some good things lined up for issue 50 though, which will no doubt make the 16-bit people happy, but will piss off the 8-bit brigade.

Yay, I just can't win :)

Spectrum special.. that issue will probably last no longer than 5 minutes for me. Don't misunderstand me, I think the RG team is doing a good job putting the mag together (some more arcade/obscure would be nice though) but sorry, lately it feels like the magazine has been going downhill with all the really old stuff. #47 was pretty weak IMO. Others might not agree..

But not for me, y'see. A Spectrum Special is just aces. The next issue could be a Megadrive Special, yeah, and in that case it wouldn't be much for me (even though I subscribe).

It's horses for courses.

• 2 weeks later...

Still reading through this issue.

Just read the review of Tomb Raider Anniversary (PSP) and the main complaint the reviewer cites is that you can't move the camera in any direction other than left or right, complaining that you can't get a decent view of your surroundings... which is utterly and entirely incorrect. If you hold Triangle you can manipulate the camera completely using the analogue nub. How this was missed I'll never understand.

This "problem" is even mentioned in a box-out too. For shame RG.