IGNORED

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

It's sold roughly the same number of units as the 360 this calendar to date, and it's broadly level with the 360 if you align launches. None of which is to say it's selling healthily (and it's apparent at the moment that that gap will actually increase over the latter part of this year), but if it remains roughly inline with the 360 then the more they both sell, the less important a 6-8 million gap becomes. 6-8 is a lot when the leader's sold 10-20, but not when you're up at the 50-100 level.

360 was supply constrained for the first eight months or so though, they had possibly the least number of units ready for a launch ever. PS3 was sitting on shelves during that time.

Anyone posted this weeks Japanese sales yet? Software only until later tonight.

01./--. [360] Halo 3 - 59,000 / NEW

02./03. [DS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Toki - 55,000 / 440,000

03./01. [PSP] Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII - 54,000 / 649,000

04./--. [DS] Tamagotchi Petit Petit Omisecchi Minasankyu! - 54,000 / NEW

05./04. [DS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Yami - 46,000 / 389,000

06./--. [PS2] Bleach Blade Battlers 2nd - 31,000 / NEW

07./--. [DS] English Test 2 - 28,000 / NEW

08./--. [PSP] Yugioh Duel Monsters GX - 28,000 / NEW

09./--. [PS3] Oblivion - 27,000 / NEW

10./02. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops+ - 25,000 / 119,000

Halo #1 in the land of the rising sun? Now let's watch it drop like a rock.

Anyone posted this weeks Japanese sales yet? Software only until later tonight.
Famitsu's Japanese chart for the week: -

1. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (Nintendo DS)

2. Halo 3 (Xbox 360)

3. Crisis Core FF7 (PSP)

4. Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop 2 (Nintendo DS)

5. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP)

6. Bleach : Blade Battlers 2nd (PlayStation 2)

7. Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters GX Tag Force 2 (PSP)

8. The Legend of Heroes 6 SC (PSP)

9. Hissyou Pachinko & Slot: Vol. 11 - Neon Genesis Evangelion - I'll Give The True Love for You. (PlayStation 2)

10. Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus (PlayStation 2)

What is the Famitsu chart based on?

(Because it's different - that's all)

I dunno, mine was Media Create, which is the official weekly sales.

EDIT: actually according to Wikipedia:

Media Create competes with Famitsu's Enterbrain and Dengeki's MediaWorks in the market for providing Japanese game sales data. Because there are three different tracking firms, there will always be three different sales numbers for any software and hardware title. Which company to trust is a matter of debate, as none of the three major trackers are ever 100% accurate and whoever tracks the highest amount of sales for a given title fluctuates.

In other news, Famitsu says the new PSP dropped about 50%. Also MySims bombed, selling 8,000 in it's launch week, which can't be good for EA considering this was a product tailored for Japan.

More interesting is the fact that VGChart's estimates imply that 50% of European sales are in one market.

It's interesting looking at the little map in Halo 3 when joining an online game, which kind of lights up all the areas in the world where people are playing (I think). I know it's not ultra scientific, but if gives you an indication of what a significant market the UK must be (although the view is probably skewed because I'm playing the game in UK time, its certainly indicative of the UK's importance within Europe).

Can't see Halo3 staying in the Japanese charts at all long but I imagine that it will be a steady seller over here and the US. Surely potential for this to be saved as a happy Xmas pack for a few teens out there, enough time for them to beat the parents into giving in and buying it for xmas anyway.

Or we'll see an Eksboks one spike when confused parents get to the shops and haven't fully understood little Johnny.

I still think it will be a "failure" compared to the PS2, but its too early to look beyond that, I think you're over-reacting.

Every console looks like a "failure" compared to the PS2, 130 million shifted and counting, even the Wii is going to have some trouble making the PS2 look like an also ran. :o

Sony should have been brave and waited until this Autumn to release the PS3, worldwide. The PS2 is still selling amazingly well so they should have held back the PS3, released it at £299 this Christmas, with Home ready and a few more exclusive games. Would have changed the whole perception of the machine.

^ This, this, this.

In my opinion, the 360 was a little early too. Could have waited a year - but then we know the reason Microsoft launched early was so that they could be in this position now - 6 million ahead. But yes, Sony got nervous, in a way that they never have before, and rushed the PS3 out at a high price and with little exclusive software. The result? They're having to slash £125 off the thing just to keep up. Not the best thing for its public image.

No, it's not. And they aren't. They already said they aren't gonna challenge this Christmas because it's too early for them. Come next Christmas, things will definitely be different.

Theydon'thaveuntilnextChristmasyoufool!

^ This, this, this.

In my opinion, the 360 was a little early too. Could have waited a year - but then we know the reason Microsoft launched early was so that they could be in this position now - 6 million ahead. But yes, Sony got nervous, in a way that they never have before, and rushed the PS3 out at a high price and with little exclusive software. The result? They're having to slash £125 off the thing just to keep up. Not the best thing for its public image.

Theydon'thaveuntilnextChristmasyoufool!

Agreed.

And then they say PS3 is going to be a 10 year console, who's to say when they will get nervous next time? Pretty soon after the next xbox comes out probably :o

In hindsight though, Wii was more of a threat, but was also something they could have done little about.

It's sold roughly the same number of units as the 360 this calendar to date, and it's broadly level with the 360 if you align launches. None of which is to say it's selling healthily (and it's apparent at the moment that that gap will actually increase over the latter part of this year), but if it remains roughly inline with the 360 then the more they both sell, the less important a 6-8 million gap becomes. 6-8 is a lot when the leader's sold 10-20, but not when you're up at the 50-100 level.

That's all well and good if sales tick along following exactly the same pattern, but at some point - as happened last time - publishers will back the formats with the largest userbases, and whichever console is in third place will start losing the odd multi-platform title or exclusive. Once the titles start drying up, so do the sales - Sony needs the PS3 to be tracking ahead of its two rivals. It needs the PS3 to catch-up.

N'Gai Croal had it spot on earlier in the year when he said that if the PS3 went three months selling under 100,000 in the U.S., we'd begin to see some PS3 releases quietly slip away after the new year. Which links in handily to 2007 U.S. sales so far: -

usnq5.jpg

How many had the X360 sold before the PS3 launched? unless the X360 is showing signs of seriously outpacing the PS3 worldwide, then it certainly isn't over yet. The only region where it's even remotely sensible to make the statement that it's over for the PS3 is the US. Japan is over for Microsoft, Europe is still undecided.

That's all well and good if sales tick along following exactly the same pattern, but at some point - as happened last time - publishers will back the formats with the largest userbases, and whichever console is in third place will start losing the odd multi-platform title or exclusive. Once the titles start drying up, so do the sales - Sony needs the PS3 to be tracking ahead of its two rivals. It needs the PS3 to catch-up.

And that was about two years after the GC/Xbox launch wasn't it?

You (and many others to be fair) still seem to be under the impression that the PS3 isn't wanted by anyone. If it's still selling badly after the price drops then you may have a point, but it's worth remembering that the PS3 launched at roughly twice the price of the PS2 in the US and Japan.

I think this christmas is definitely crucial for PS3 but I don't think it will kill off the console if sales aren't brilliant. I'm sure other people on here will, like me, be buying the PS3 when it gets to £200 - £250 and I'm sure people all over will be doing this too.

But at the same time, if HD DVD 'wins' or the games really do dry up, I'd still happily save up £200 and not get one....

Just out of interest, why would you buy a PS3 even for £200? What would you be hoping to play? Blu-ray films or certain games?

The X360/PS3 software libraries overlap to a great extent. Despite the GC/Xbox having superior versions of multiplatform titles, people were hardly rushing out to buy them over the inferior PS2 version. The average consumer isn't as bothered by 30fps/60fps differences as people on here.

As the PS3 is looking more and more likely to have superior JPN support, it's the reason I shall be getting one.

Just out of interest, why would you buy a PS3 even for £200? What would you be hoping to play? Blu-ray films or certain games?

I'm sure some people would just like to play all the third party games that both the 360 and PS3 are getting, without worrying that if they glance the wrong way at their games console it will stop working and have to be shipped off to Portsmouth! :o

I guess it comes down to questions like;

Can MS convince consumers that they don't need Gran Turismo because they can have PGR?

The first week sales figures for FIFA in the UK show that there are still A LOT of people who haven't taken the plunge with 360, PS3, or Wii. There's every chance that a price cut and seeing that the games they want (your GTAs, FIFAs etc) are still going to the PS3 will be enough for them to stick with Sony.

But you just agreed that Sony could have waited until this Autumn to release the machine. If they could do that and last until next Christmas, how can they not release it a year earlier, rack up 4 million sales, and do the same? :o

Because to publishers, the PS3 is a flagging machine. Its sales are barely keeping up with the competition and game sales aren't especially impressive either. Writing games for PS3 also seems especially difficult, with delays followed by delays. There's only one candidate for the console that they're closest to dropping support for.

Had Sony launched the PS3 this month/November for £300-£325, then they would have had a stellar line-up and sales would have gone through the roof, and the public and professional perception of the console would be entirely different, - even though it would essentially start with a smaller userbase than it does right now. Launching now with an adundance of games would have made the PS3 look like the future, and made the 360 look like a Dreamcast-esque stop-gap. The fact that Sony attempted to get the PS3 out as quick as they could just justified the 360 and made it look like a real competitor. Consumers have, in turn, responded.

It's only in the last 4-6 months that 360 games have begun to outsell their PS2 counterparts. Sony could have quite happily taken on the 360 and Wii with the PS2 in the same way that the original PlayStation outsold the Dreamcast until the PS2 launched. But they were nervous and, in reality, played right into Microsoft's hands. They've done nothing from stumble from one mistake to another since.

Because financially, it would be a different story. Everything would be different.

C'mon, Sprite. You're smarter than this.

You'll have to spell it out for me.

Because to publishers, the PS3 is a flagging machine. Its sales are barely keeping up with the competition and game sales aren't especially impressive either. Writing games for PS3 also seems especially difficult, with delays followed by delays. There's only one candidate for the console that they're closest to dropping support for.

That doesn't answer (or even address) the question. Publishers are interested in how many games they can shift; what's a "flagging" machine compared to one with zero installed userbase? Your programming and delays comment is irrelevant to the comparison too.

Had Sony launched the PS3 this month/November for £300-£325, then they would have had a stellar line-up and sales would have gone through the roof, and the public and professional perception of the console would be entirely different, - even though it would essentially start with a smaller userbase than it does right now. Launching now with an adundance of games would have made the PS3 look like the future, and made the 360 look like a Dreamcast-esque stop-gap. The fact that Sony attempted to get the PS3 out as quick as they could just justified the 360 and made it look like a real competitor. Consumers have, in turn, responded.

Consumers, in turn, will also respond to a £300 console this Christmas with a stellar line-up. I don't see how it matters what has come before if the here and now is exactly the same in both scenarios.

It's only in the last 4-6 months that 360 games have begun to outsell their PS2 counterparts. Sony could have quite happily taken on the 360 and Wii with the PS2 in the same way that the original PlayStation outsold the Dreamcast until the PS2 launched.

And they have! The arrival of the PS3 has not made the PS2 disappear, although you seem to frequently suggest that it has.

You'll have to spell it out for me.

That doesn't answer (or even address) the question. Publishers are interested in how many games they can shift; what's a "flagging" machine compared to one with zero installed userbase? Your programming and delays comment is irrelevant to the comparison too.

Consumers, in turn, will also respond to a £300 console this Christmas with a stellar line-up. I don't see how it matters what has come before if the here and now is exactly the same in both scenarios.

And they have! The arrival of the PS3 has not made the PS2 disappear, although you seem to frequently suggest that it has.

You've completely missed the point. This is all about perception. At the moment the PS3 feels like a struggling beast that has lumbered through its first year and seems to offer no technical upgrades over its competitors. Launch now at the proper price, and it would seem like a stellar console with an amazing line-up that makes the 360 look positively old. All about perception. All they did by going early was make the 360 look like a threat.

Surely you don't think having to effectively drop the price of a console twice in less than a year is a good thing. Surely it would have been better to launch now, with a a lower price and with stacks of games rather than disappoint and put off consumers for 12 months before becoming a viable format. You can see that, right?

You've completely missed the point. This is all about perception. At the moment the PS3 feels like a struggling beast that has lumbered through its first year and seems to offer no technical upgrades over its competitors. Launch now at the proper price, and it would seem like a stellar console with an amazing line-up that makes the 360 look positively old. All about perception. All they did by going early was make the 360 look like a threat.

Surely you don't think having to effectively drop the price of a console twice in less than a year is a good thing. Surely it would have been better to launch now, with a a lower price and with stacks of games rather than disappoint and put off consumers for 12 months before becoming a viable format. You can see that, right?

I think you're putting too much emphasis on perception rather than facts.

I think a £300 console with all the games released so far available and 4 million installed base is better than a £300 console with all the games released at once and no installed base whatsoever, yeah.