IGNORED

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

http://www.developmag.com/news/28736/Ninte...arty-developers

http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/nintendo...devs-318495.php

search google as well, and there is tons of info about it.

Since we should not be telling these third party developers what they should do in terms of the game content per se, we are offering advice and cooperation in order to produce software which is accessible to users with the least possible stress.

Of course, we can not assign too many of our internal developers for all these projects, so we are asking the third party developers to create their own internal team which can work closely with our developers.

You're blaming Nintendo for third parties making rubbish games which don't sell.

No I'm not, I'm saying Nintendo are doing the least to esure a steady stream of quality third-party software on their system. By least - I mean nothing.

Microsoft and Sony have technical teams they can help with high-profile titles and engines, they have co-marketing spends, exclusivity agreements, better dev tools cheaper dev kits for smaller download games, easier certification processes.

Nintendo could at least put some marketing behind third-party games like No More Heroes, or at least do a Miyamoto's Heros thing like they did with the N64. They could do something - anything! But they won't, because the current situation is beneficial for them.

Of course, we can not assign too many of our internal developers for all these projects, so we are asking the third party developers to create their own internal team which can work closely with our developers.

So they're not then.

Why on earth would any developer need technical help to make a Wii game?

The tech is familiar for the most part. It's not technical nouse that makes for mediocre games; it's a combination of low budgets\lesser teams and developers simply letting themselves off the hook because the Wii is considered graphically inferior. Many games don't even look as good as GC titles.

It's not technical nouse that makes for mediocre games; it's a combination of low budgets\lesser teams and developers simply letting themselves off the hook because the Wii is considered graphically inferior. Many games don't even look as good as GC titles.

By that then, are you suggesting Nintendo should have put more OOOMPH under the hood then?

I thought Nintendo dropped their QA for thirdparties? N64 and GC apparently failed due to lack of thirdparty support. This was blamed on the high standard placed by Nintendo on the state of games that came out for them.

So to combat that, with the Wii, there's basically no such thing. Publishers can put out anything on the system without it going through a tough QA session at Nintendo.

I dunno if this is true but I read it on the internet so it must be true.

Why on earth would any developer need technical help to make a Wii game?

The tech is familiar for the most part. It's not technical nouse that makes for mediocre games; it's a combination of low budgets\lesser teams and developers simply letting themselves off the hook because the Wii is considered graphically inferior. Many games don't even look as good as GC titles.

I must say, I've been looking at Mario Galaxy thinking that it's put much of what we've seen on the Wii to shame. I love it's graphics and the Wii seems to handle it with ease. I'm still expecting more..

I thought devs would be at least pushing for original xbox type graphics (I understood it could graphically push as much or more..?? I thought even the GC could push as much as the Xbox in the right conditions). I thought some of the later Burnout versions on the xbox looked pretty nice. Instead, like you say, we're seeing games that are below GC standard.

I really hope we start seeing some nice titles in this next year. Glad I have mario to keep me going.

That doesn't stop them from doing any one of the other things though. Marketing, certification, anything. But it's not in their interest and hasn't been for years.

I thought devs would be at least pushing for original xbox type graphics (I understood it could graphically push as much or more..??

No, those were lies. It's basically GC hardware with an overclocked processor which allows more games to output at 480p.

I thought Nintendo dropped their QA for thirdparties? N64 and GC apparently failed due to lack of thirdparty support. This was blamed on the high standard placed by Nintendo on the state of games that came out for them.

So to combat that, with the Wii, there's basically no such thing. Publishers can put out anything on the system without it going through a tough QA session at Nintendo.

I dunno if this is true but I read it on the internet so it must be true.

QA would be testing for bugs though, wouldn't it? I can't see them dropping that.

By that then, are you suggesting Nintendo should have put more OOOMPH under the hood then?

I don't know. The OOOMPH under the hood of the PS3 & 360 comes at a high cost, both for hardware and software development (particularly in terms of higher quality assets).

I'm just saying publishers and developers aren't even trying on Wii when it comes to visuals so I don't see how Nintendo could be blamed for that. Sure, perhaps if the hardware was closer in performance to the other machines then we'd see a lot of multi-platform titles with excellent visuals but that wasn't the vision for Wii.

I'd be interested to know how many high-budget high-def games are profitable. I think publishers are still hoping to recoup costs by re-using engines multiple times. But can they re-use assets?

That doesn't stop them from doing any one of the other things though. Marketing, certification, anything. But it's not in their interest and hasn't been for years.

Yeah, and while they're at it Nintendo could make their games for them. Fucking Nintendo. Raking in the cash by making games people want while the poor third parties are forced to port over PSP titles. It's fucking sickening.

Yeah - as in the look of it is very striking. It's simple, and could be marketed the fuck out of.

I quite like Nights, but what do you do in it? If you can't attach a verb to it that a punter can understand, it won't sell.

No, {claims that the Wii was capable of graphics as good as or better than the original Xbox} were lies. It's basically GC hardware with an overclocked processor which allows more games to output at 480p.

How blind and stupid would one have to be to claim something like this after Super Mario Galaxy?

As far as I know the 480p thing is just the entire buffer being displayed instead of half of it. All games on GC and Wii are rendered at 480p internally anyway. There's no performance penalty.

Galaxy is extremely impressive. And the fact that it runs at 60fps is quite amazing. I wonder if (with perhaps a bit more RAM) the game would run at 720p at 30fps (i.e. typical performance for a 360 title)?

I quite like Nights, but what do you do in it? If you can't attach a verb to it that a punter can understand, it won't sell.

This is what I didn't understand about Boyatsea's post. I don't see how the game fits with the more 'casual' (normal people) audience at all. It seems to an ultra-geeky game. It certainly didn't explain itself to me. Then again, I don't understand Sonic either.

Yeah, and while they're at it Nintendo could make their games for them. Fucking Nintendo. Raking in the cash by making games people want while the poor third parties are forced to port over PSP titles. It's fucking sickening.

You make an excellent point. But a platform holder should, ideally, see it as its duty to help third parties to thrive on their platform. Sony and Microsoft have done a lot in the past to assist third parties. Nintendo, historically have wavered somewhere between not really giving a shit and being actively hostile.

part of it may also be down to the fact that Nintendo are making money on every wii and ds sold - they're ridiculously profitable as they are... MS and Sony need 3rd parties more in order to rake in the licensing fees...

although, successful 3rd party games on the Wii/DS means even more money for Nintendo - but maybe they feel as though they don't need to put in the same level of effort to secure it.

dunno.

although, successful 3rd party games on the Wii/DS means even more money for Nintendo - but maybe they feel as though they don't need to put in the same level of effort to secure it.

Didn't some famous developer basically say something along the lines of Nintendo will actively bitch-slap any successful competition on their platform, he probably had his head bitten off by the rabid fanboys at the time of the comment :(

They were loving the Wii on Radio 5 this afternoon - saying it was the 'must-have' for Christmas this year and how unusual it was to be the 'must have' 2 years running etc

They also mentioned the bundling and said that, when they spoke to them, Nintendo said they had concerns about the bundles on offer.

Latest Famitsu/Enterbrain charts from Japan:

1. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (DS)

2. Wii Fit (Wii)

3. SD Gundam G Generations Spirits (PS2)

4. DQ4 (DS)

5. Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (PS2)

6. Winning Eleven 2008 (PS2)

7. Mario Party DS (DS)

8. Mario & Sonic at Beijing Olympics (Wii)

9. Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters World Championship 2008 (DS)

10. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)