IGNORED

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

It's really disappointing that Zack and Wiki only managed to shift 35,000 copies.

That's only for November remember - it's up over 100k in total in the US now. It's still not great, but it's not a total disaster if they can pick up some steady sales over the holidays.

Given the price cuts and new packages, etc the PS3's position looks infinitely worse than ever before after November's US sales. A short lived 'burst' in Japan isn't enough to disguise the fact that third place remains an utter certainty by the end of this generation.

not according to analysts though!!!!

That's only for November remember - it's up over 100k in total in the US now. It's still not great, but it's not a total disaster if they can pick up some steady sales over the holidays.

Quite, if a million is great sales then over hundred thousand can't really be terrible sales. Or can it. I don't know.

Some games that didn't chart.

360 ROCK BAND (T) 317k

WII PLAY (E) 564K (not included as categorised as an accessory)

WII MARIO AND SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES (E) 330K

WII WII ZAPPER W/ LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING (E) 232K

WII LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE TRILOGY (E) 180K

WII HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL (E) 180K

WII RESIDENT EVIL UMBRELLA CHRONICLES (M) 120K

WII MANHUNT 2 (M) 19K

PS3 UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE (T) 117K

PS3 RATCHET & CLANK FUTURE (T) 66K

PS3 ROCK BAND (T) 70K

PC CRYSIS (M) 87K

PC UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 (M) 34K

PC L - I'll stop now.

The DS was at 50million worldwide a few months back, it's probably closer to 60million now. The PS2 is over 100million worldwide, so it will probably still take a few years.

I bet the DS was FAR cheaper to develop & manufacture than the PS2 was however - I bet the overall amount of profit made from them both isn't that far apart now...

Actually, Boyatsea said the 360 sold 510,000 last November, didn't he? I would say the PS3 doing 54,000 less than that without anything even remotely as big as Gears of War, in fact only two multiplatform games in the top ten, isn't all that bad.
Nevertheless they missed it, and the 360's total wasn't even that great of a yardstick to go by.

Indeed - at the time, a lot of people - not here, admittedly - said 510,000 was a disappointing figure for the 360 in November, and Sony has missed even that. Its PS3 total this November isn't a flop by any means, but it's not exactly hot. Xbox 360 hit 1.1 million in December in the U.S. last year. - that's the PS3 next target, and I don't think it'll hit it.

Actually the PS3s sales this month is about equal to the GCs sales in November 2002, and is still less than the 360 level in October.

More concerning is the fact that no third-party games have sold over 450,000 on the system yet, let alone a million. By now the 360 had six third-party million sellers, hell even Red Steel on the Wii broke that barrier. A PS3 exclusive tag is a death sentence.

Actually the PS3s sales this month is about equal to the GCs sales in November 2002, and is still less than the 360 level in October.

More concerning is the fact that no third-party games have sold over 450,000 on the system yet, let alone a million. By now the 360 had six third-party million sellers, hell even Red Steel on the Wii broke that barrier. A PS3 exclusive tag is a death sentence.

Those software facts are quite startling, really.

Why do you say that?

The fact that the machine won't have cost the billions the PS2 must have at the time is fairly obvious - the machine is not much above N64 spec several years on vs cutting edge technology and development of completely different processor architecture at the time..

Plus the fact that Nintendo seem to have decided they won't release something that's at the upper end of what's affordable (which the PS2 was - though they judged it about right that time) or that they can't start to make money back on fairly quickly. The PS2 will have been loss led for a couple of years - the DS? Hardly.

So they won't have had nearly as much money sunk into it initially and it won't have taken nearly as long for them to be selling it at a profit.

So given the immense sales, quicker return etc - is it unrealistic to think they may be approaching it?

Those software facts are quite startling, really.

and people say the Wii is bad for 3rd party software!!!

it's going to be interesting. 360 is doing great stuff in the US - but it's a complete and utter non-entity in Japan. Europe, it's much closer... and the tastes in software are very different.

Mario and Sonic is doing fine in the states - but it didn't make the top 10. It's number 1 over here, closely followed by Brain Training... that's barely charted in the states as well.

Publishers now have some interesting decisions to make... it's obvious that big AAA blockbusters sell well on the 360. But the risk is that these games cost an awful lot of money, and will your game get lost in the midst of others. The Wii - it's hit and miss what does well on that machine right now. Some truly excellent hardcore games haven't set the world alight (Metroid) and you've got to compete with Nintendo themselves.

PS3? The dev costs are probably as high as they are on the 360, perhaps more so - but with a fraction of the available audience and, being so different from the 360 - porting across platforms isn't as easy.

We live in interesting gaming times.

I think those tales of publishers holding back development of PS3 games and looking to see how it performs before making a decision on whether or not to continue are going to come true.

It's already happening. Final Fantasy XIII has been Crisis Core'd; they've dropped the dev team down to only about 30 people and will continuing working on the game at a much slower pace, hoping that the PS3 userbase will grow enough before 2009.

The fact that the machine won't have cost the billions the PS2 must have at the time is fairly obvious - the machine is not much above N64 spec several years on vs cutting edge technology and development of completely different processor architecture at the time..

Plus the fact that Nintendo seem to have decided they won't release something that's at the upper end of what's affordable (which the PS2 was - though they judged it about right that time) or that they can't start to make money back on fairly quickly. The PS2 will have been loss led for a couple of years - the DS? Hardly.

So they won't have had nearly as much money sunk into it initially and it won't have taken nearly as long for them to be selling it at a profit.

So given the immense sales, quicker return etc - is it unrealistic to think they may be approaching it?

Actually I thought you were comparing it to the PSP.

I wouldn't be surprised if the DS has always been the cheaper machine to make.

It's already happening. Final Fantasy XIII has been Crisis Core'd; they've dropped the dev team down to only about 30 people and will continuing working on the game at a much slower pace, hoping that the PS3 userbase will grow enough before 2009.

Source? Not that I don't agree that it's happening, because I do. Just looking at the releaselists for 2008 and it's pretty clear, that the PS3 list is missing games, you would expect to be there. But the FF thing, I didn't know.

I've said all along that I think developers/publishers are sitting back and watching how the PS3 performs this Christmas. Sega admitted as much a few months back. If it doesn't keep pace with the competition in the west - and it looks like it isn't going to - there will be repercussions in the spring. Some exclusives lost and the odd project canned or delayed.

I've said all along that I think developers/publishers are sitting back and watching how the PS3 performs this Christmas. Sega admitted as much a few months back. If it doesn't keep pace with the competition in the west - and it looks like it isn't going to - there will be repercussions in the spring. Some exclusives lost and the odd project canned or delayed.

It's not just Hardware sales that are the problem though. It's software sales. PS3 exclusives are completely bombing. Multi platform releases are also ran's compared to the 360. Right now any publisher looking to publish an exclusive game on the PS3 is going to be sweating quite a lot...

It's not just Hardware sales that are the problem though. It's software sales. PS3 exclusives are completely bombing. Multi platform releases are also ran's compared to the 360. Right now any publisher looking to publish an exclusive game on the PS3 is going to be sweating quite a lot...

If you are making a game for PS3, you simply have to release it for 360. Not only are there more 360's out there, 360 owners buy an amazing amount of games.

The Wii is simply amazing - nearly a million and it's only November, it most likely would have broken that barrier if it weren't for supply constraints. Anyone think it will do 2 million next month? Or will it have a smaller increase now because of supply?

I doubt the Wii is going to be able to do close to 2 million this month, the fact it failed to clear 1 million last month pretty much confirms supply problems are going to prevent that from happening.

The Zak&Wiki numbers were LTD as of end of November, your probably referring to VGchartz (who are usually overly optimistic with software numbers).

It's not just Hardware sales that are the problem though. It's software sales. PS3 exclusives are completely bombing. Multi platform releases are also ran's compared to the 360.

Are you sure?

I'm not disagreeing, just wondering if this is really the case.

It's meaningless to compare actual raw sales, as there are more 360s out there. The only useful comparison would be to turn sales figures of games into a proportion of hardware sales, or something like that. Are PS3 games sales any worse than 360 when looked at as a proportion of hardware sales?

In the US maybe, where multiplatform sales generally mirror the platform ratio. Other countries don't seem to be showing quite the same general split between the X360 and PS3 versions, which is a curios thing.

Are you sure?

It's meaningless to compare actual raw sales, as there are more 360s out there. The only useful comparison would be to turn sales figures of games into a proportion of hardware sales, or something like that. Are PS3 games sales any worse than 360 when looked at as a proportion of hardware sales?

RubberJohnny covered this a few pages back: -

More concerning is the fact that no third-party games have sold over 450,000 on the system yet, let alone a million. By now the 360 had six third-party million sellers, hell even Red Steel on the Wii broke that barrier.

I can't see many titles being PS3 exclusive in the future. Multiformat titles do sell on the PS3 nearly in proportion to 360 (in terms of console owners per copies sold), but exclusive titles are bombing badly. Unless PS3 versions of multiformat titles start to be better than the 360 ones, I can't see how Sony will ever catch up in the States - where's the incentive to buy the PS3 over a 360?

Are you sure?

Doesn't really matter either way though, does it? I doubt concerned developers / publishers will be content that their games aren't selling simply because there aren't as many PS3s in circulation as there are 360s.