IGNORED

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

Quite, I'm sick of hearing developers and publishers whine about not being able to compete with Nintendo sales figures. Nintendo sell lots of software because they know their market and because Nintendo generally serve up better quality software than the competition. Yet it seems that, instead of trying to find their own niche and concentrate of providing better quality software, the money men at the publishers react by thinking that churning out inferior, "me too" versions of Nintendo franchises is the way to rectify the situation.

I'm fairly sympathetic to what the bloke from Clover says because their games certainly never sold anything like what their quality deserved (whether on Nintendo hardware or not), and he's not whining about it nearly as much as some do. But it's just so depressing to hear developers and publishers stamping their feet like little children about it.

"Boo hoo, it's not fair, we can't compete with 1st party Nintendo software, boo hoo" :D

The other devs and publishers I speak to generally aren't whining about it, they're simply stating it as fact - Nintendo have excellent first party software for their machines and it sells very well. Most people give the first party stuff the respect it deserves.

The other devs and publishers I speak to generally aren't whining about it, they're simply stating it as fact - Nintendo have excellent first party software for their machines and it sells very well. Most people give the first party stuff the respect it deserves.

there's no reason why other companies couldn't do stuff of the quality of Nintendo though - they've just got to put in the effort. TBH - only Capcom come close. I'd like to see folks like Valve and Bungie do something OTHER than FPS' as well as they've both clearly got tons of talent.

there's no reason why other companies couldn't do stuff of the quality of Nintendo though - they've just got to put in the effort. TBH - only Capcom come close. I'd like to see folks like Valve and Bungie do something OTHER than FPS' as well as they've both clearly got tons of talent.

I think you've got to look at it like this. If Bungie or Valve made a console, chances are a lot of FPS fans would buy it. Their own titles would sell by the bucketload, because their fans would make up a large proportion of the console's userbase. Yeah, chances are other FPS titles could do well, but most would get overlooked for the more dependable Bungie or Valve releases.

I've made that point in an odd way.

Basically, the way I see it is there are two groups of people buying Wiis. Nintendo fans, who buy Nintendo consoles all the time and love the Marios, Zeldas and Metroids of this world, and everyone else - i.e., the mums, dads, sisters, wives and grandparents, who have never owned a console before, or not for a long time, anyway. They're happy lapping up the WiiSports and WiiPlays of this world, but.. Capcom? Who are they? Chances are even if this new group of gamers do experiment, they'll still go for Nintendo titles because that's what they know, and Mario has a huge pull for all audiences.

Ironically, by massively expanding its own appeal, Nintendo has probably made it harder for third-parties to get noticed in the rush.

Sorry I have to totally disagree there.

Do you think newcomers even know or care who a game is made by? I bet they think every Wii game is made by Nintendo by default!

The fact is Nintendo's advertising has been amazing and everyone else's has been piss-poor.

And let's not get carried away with the failure of 3rd parties on the Wii, most have got what they deserved - be that good sales or bad sales, there's only been a handful of games that have deserved better.

Good games bomb on every system, it's nothing new. 3rd parties need to start putting some more effort into their games and some more money into their advertising - simple as that.

Do you think newcomers even know or care who a game is made by? I bet they think every Wii game is made by Nintendo by default!

The fact is Nintendo's advertising has been amazing and everyone else's has been piss-poor.

And let's not get carried away with the failure of 3rd parties on the Wii, most have got what they deserved - be that good sales or bad sales, there's only been a handful of games that have deserved better.

Good games bomb on every system, it's nothing new. 3rd parties need to start putting some more effort into their games and some more money into their advertising - simple as that.

Even big companies like Capcom aren't bottomless pits of money. The only Capcom ad I've seen on telly for any system in recent years was Lost Planet - and that's because the campaign was co-funded by Microsoft. What do you do if you're an even smaller publisher/developer than Capcom? You're essentially fucked because you can't afford to get ads for your game on primetime?

That's not a healthy state for the industry to be in, if that's what you believe.

I think you're over-rating TV ads though. There's a lot more to Nintendo's success on the Wii than that.

Even big companies like Capcom aren't bottomless pits of money. The only Capcom ad I've seen on telly for any system in recent years was Lost Planet - and that's because the campaign was co-funded by Microsoft. What do you do if you're an even smaller publisher/developer than Capcom? You're essentially fucked because you can't afford to get ads for your game on primetime?

That's not a healthy state for the industry to be in, if that's what you believe.

I think you're over-rating TV ads though. There's a lot more to Nintendo's success on the Wii than that.

At least they can even afford to make a worthwhile game on the Wii.

I agree with your last point though, it's not just about TV but it is about putting ads where newcomers will see them - i.e. not websites or the gaming press.

Anecdotal evidence alert:

My daughter and her nan both wanted that Catz game made by the Nintendog people.... :wub:

I've seen the Resident Evil 4 Wii advert a lot of times.

Even with you pimping it left right and centre?

No Godfather? ;)

Wait a minute, he's selling the Wii because he's hardly playing it and getting a PS3?? :wub: what's he planning to play on that? :(

hi def movies, PES, Tiger Woods and GTA

can't argue with him - it's the best choice if that's his requirements.

and it won't blow up on him.

can't argue with him - it's the best choice if that's his requirements.

and it won't blow up on him.

You clearly haven't made him see the light yet then, PES and Tiger? You and your brother are the super-cross section of gamers; you the more 'hardcore' (for want of a better term) and your bro firmly in the mainstream. It's some sort of demographics heaven...

Basically, the way I see it is there are two groups of people buying Wiis. Nintendo fans, who buy Nintendo consoles all the time and love the Marios, Zeldas and Metroids of this world, and everyone else - i.e., the mums, dads, sisters, wives and grandparents, who have never owned a console before, or not for a long time, anyway.

See, i think thats way off. I think people on this forum are far too quick to pigeon hole wii oweners like that, jumping straight on the "only these types of people buy the wii.." bandwagon- and miss the fact that nintendo have just made a really good console, that appeals to people....not just specific groups. Thats aload of shit. It is entirely possible, that alot of gamers, are just getting tired with

Alot of the people who i know, who have bought wii's- are mostly normal gamers, like us. They all had a ps2/xbox last gen, ps1 before it etc. But this time around, they were just really interested in what the wii could do. Just because its different, and thier really tired and fed up of the same old games just recieving a fresh lick of paint.

My mate adam is a prime example of this. Hes into his cars, fast and the furious, abit chavy and all that lark. Was a big playstation fan last gen...but this gen, he opted for a wii. Purely because he wanted to play games differently and it appealed to him more. Same with my girlfriends brother, he went from the playstation franchise to wii- and is a fairly hardcore gamertype.

By making the wii different to the other consoles, and opting for a bit of innovation- it appeals to every one. Its bringing back alot of gamers who stopped playing, because they were tired of the same old games popping out every year, only looking shinier. And by the same token, its migrating alot of gamers from the so called "hardcore" platforms for the same reasons.

Thats my opinion anyway. I dont understand why people always jump to "only certain people buy the wii! i know this because i saw a video on the tele of an old person playing a wii" :wub:

See, i think thats way off. I think people on this forum are far too quick to pigeon hole wii oweners like that, jumping straight on the "only these types of people buy the wii.." bandwagon- and miss the fact that nintendo have just made a really good console, that appeals to people....not just specific groups. Thats aload of shit. It is entirely possible, that alot of gamers, are just getting tired with

Alot of the people who i know, who have bought wii's- are mostly normal gamers, like us. They all had a ps2/xbox last gen, ps1 before it etc. But this time around, they were just really interested in what the wii could do. Just because its different, and thier really tired and fed up of the same old games just recieving a fresh lick of paint.

My mate adam is a prime example of this. Hes into his cars, fast and the furious, abit chavy and all that lark. Was a big playstation fan last gen...but this gen, he opted for a wii. Purely because he wanted to play games differently and it appealed to him more. Same with my girlfriends brother, he went from the playstation franchise to wii- and is a fairly hardcore gamertype.

By making the wii different to the other consoles, and opting for a bit of innovation- it appeals to every one. Its bringing back alot of gamers who stopped playing, because they were tired of the same old games popping out every year, only looking shinier. And by the same token, its migrating alot of gamers from the so called "hardcore" platforms for the same reasons.

Thats my opinion anyway. I dont understand why people always jump to "only certain people buy the wii! i know this because i saw a video on the tele of an old person playing a wii" :wub:

I don't know a single other person who owns a Wii, but I can name two dozen 360 owners. That's the only evidence I need to agree with the two types of Wii owners theory that was put forward.

This is a very good point, although anecdotal, a lot of the people I know that have a Wii are old gamers that got bored after the SNES era and like the fact it's a bit different or people that have been gamers for a while (but only really getting the mainstream stuff on PS2 for example) but went for the cheaper option rather than 'work extra hours to afford the PS3' as Mr. Kutaragi suggested...

This is a very good point, although anecdotal, a lot of the people I know that have a Wii are old gamers that got bored after the SNES era and like the fact it's a bit different or people that have been gamers for a while (but only really getting the mainstream stuff on PS2 for example) but went for the cheaper option rather than 'work extra hours to afford the PS3' as Mr. Kutaragi suggested...

It's not just older gamers. Of my incredibly geeky friends group at uni, only one person I know has bothered to get more than one console (a Wii and 360), and he owned all three consoles last generation. Two other people have 360s, having owned PS2s last generation, and 5 people including myself exclusively own Wii's. Three of them had PS2s last gen, and before they'd played on a Wii, were pretty sure they were going to get a PS3. One of them had a GC and a PS2, and I had all three last gen consoles. I'm planning on getting a 360 at some point in the near future, but apart from that, none of the people who previously wanted a PS3 are planning on getting one, and it's not because of the price. The Wii is appealing to everyone, that's why it's being so successful.

Anecdotal evidence aside, to suggest that there are only two types of people buying the Wii is a clear oversight in any case. Do peoplw really think that the 15million people to have bought a Wii so far can be pigeonholed in to two nice tidy categories? Even suggesting so seems ridiculous to me.